There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Australia Horizon Offline

(08-12-2022, 02:08 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 10:28 PM)afortich Wrote: I saw that video too. The lion didn't bother to look at the jackal Wink
I really like and impressed how @BigLion39 recognize all these lions.

Thanks  for the kind words my friend! I'm really only somewhat ok at recognizing Mara lions tho and there are many people far better than I!!! 

The 1 lion @BA0701 refers to in the video of the 1 big male eating a carcass in the water was the 1 and only Dreadlocks Mapogo!!! 

The other with the jackel testing his luck by biting his tail was the huge boy Lenkisiou, 1 of the 3 Rongai Boys up in Naboisho conservancy!  This video was incredible! Sometimes these animals get overly confident by lions always tolerating them while they eat from a few feet distance.!!!

Come on, man. Don’t be so modest. You are the king when it comes to posting the latest Mara dynamics. 
It might be Dreadlocks and not pretty boy, some brain fog on part of me. 

The kind of confidence Olobor exudes, its just beautiful to watch. Its something DM lacks presently, may be due to his injury. May be these factors could have emboldened hyenas to get closer to DM.
5 users Like Horizon's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Are those Kambulas vs DM?

Here is the answer who attacked DM.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(08-12-2022, 09:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Are those Kambulas vs DM?

Here is the answer who attacked DM.

Apparently Nkuhumas and DM from 19th july
5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-12-2022, 09:25 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Apparently Nkuhumas and DM from 19th july

Yea Nkuhumas, as only 1 male is bigger. 

So not recent.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(08-12-2022, 09:26 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 09:25 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Apparently Nkuhumas and DM from 19th july

Yea Nkuhumas, as only 1 male is bigger. 

So not recent.

So the mystery continues Wink
1 user Likes afortich's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-12-2022, 09:55 PM by afortich )

(08-12-2022, 01:23 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 11:47 AM)afortich Wrote: I don't think DM is in such a bad condition right now.
I watched that sighting live this morning. Ja, he's moving very gingerly and awkwardly, usual front paw stiffness but also seemed to have that stiffness all over. Ribs and spine are visible but seen that worse but what wasn't really noticeable before that is now is how prominent his hip bones are.

He's creaking, sadly, but having said all this he has looked worse and so have others and been fine so chances are he will be too. Hopefully.

Let me clarify what I said above my friend.
It is clear that for a few weeks DM is not looking well. And if you were watching it in person, I would not argue your perception because I only watch videos.
However, I don't think DM's condition is so bad to the point that can't defend himself from a group of hyenas.
I base my opinion comparing DM's condition with the condition of other lions being attacked by hyenas in other videos I have seen before.
4 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

I guess DM is getting better!!

8 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

DM stole a meal & Mohawk with the Nkuhumas are getting ready to hunt!!

8 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away

DM’s mane is definitely growing back out. Good to see all the N Avoca boys even if they’re not together.
4 users Like WildLeonis's post

United States BorntobeWild Online
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 10:04 AM by BorntobeWild )

(08-13-2022, 07:00 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: DM’s mane is definitely growing back out. Good to see all the N Avoca boys even if they’re not together.

I actually start to worry about DM. He stole a kill from Tlalamba, but did not eat, just laid down nearby. he was not full plus the way he walked... Something is just not right. Hope I am wrong.
5 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-13-2022, 09:58 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: I actually start to worry about DM. He stole a kill from Tlalamba, but did not eat, just laid down nearby. he was not full plus the way he walked... Something is just not right. Hope I am wrong.

I said it before, its hard to admit, but age is starting to caught with DM, yes he is only over 9, but just like in humans, lions dont age the same, also we dont know if he has some health problems.

He looks and behaves like typical male out of his prime and battered by old age, on that video, when he submits to buch of Nkuhuma subs, oldest (prob his son) only being 3 yrs old, you know his years are "over". 

How long will he last? We will see, but yea, chances that we will again see DM in his glory is quite low.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2022, 12:02 AM by afortich )

DM from minute 14:06.

7 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-14-2022, 11:51 PM)afortich Wrote: DM from minute 14:06.

LOL, his reaction time to the bird that flew past could use some work, then the guide saying that he's doing what DM does best, sleep.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor
Wink  ( This post was last modified: 08-15-2022, 01:42 AM by afortich )

(08-15-2022, 12:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 11:51 PM)afortich Wrote: DM from minute 14:06.

LOL, his reaction time to the bird that flew past could use some work, then the guide saying that he's doing what DM does best, sleep.

That is what, I think, makes DM special and smart, he takes advantage of the situation he's going through "sleep".
Similarly, in the video above there were too many unfriendly Nkuhumas, then, rather be submissive than fight Wink
3 users Like afortich's post