There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Dark Mane, a great father that stands for his family!!

10 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Seems Dark Mane has some fresh wounds on his back and back legs. I wonder who could have done this.

8 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-10-2022, 09:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Seems Dark Mane has some fresh wounds on his back and back legs. I wonder who could have done this.

LegendSafaris posted that he was defending a kill vs harassing hyenas, yesterday prob.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-10-2022, 09:59 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 09:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Seems Dark Mane has some fresh wounds on his back and back legs. I wonder who could have done this.

LegendSafaris posted that he was defending a kill vs harassing hyenas, yesterday prob.

They got him pretty good, if that's the case. You can see him licking his wounds, and it seems he got more than a nip.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

King DM with full belly and signs of a recent battle!!

6 users Like afortich's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2022, 05:43 AM by WildLeonis )

(08-10-2022, 10:08 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

They got him pretty good, if that's the case. You can see him licking his wounds, and it seems  he got more than a nip.

One hyena is likely not to challenge an adult male lion, maybe not even two but if there is a pack of them all bets are off. Though he has some battle scars he looks to have held his own and turned out okay considering. It could’ve gone very badly if he indeed faced a whole pack of hyenas. 

His mane is looking better on top. Kind of looks like it may be growing back in which is a good sign if it is coming back.
4 users Like WildLeonis's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2022, 06:42 AM by afortich )

(08-11-2022, 05:11 AM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 10:08 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

They got him pretty good, if that's the case. You can see him licking his wounds, and it seems  he got more than a nip.

One hyena is likely not to challenge an adult male lion, maybe not even two but if there is a pack of them all bets are off. Though he has some battle scars he looks to have held his own and turned out okay considering. It could’ve gone very badly if he indeed faced a whole pack of hyenas. 

His mane is looking better on top. Kind of looks like it may be growing back in which is a good sign if it is coming back.

You're right bro.
According to a documentary from BBC earth, 20 hyenas are not a match for two young male lions.
2 users Like afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline

(08-11-2022, 06:31 AM)afortich Wrote: You're right bro.
According to a documentary from BBC earth, 20 hyenas are not a match for two young male lions.

Juat take a look at a rescent video on FB and YouTube of  the  mischievous  Black Rock Boy Olobor, in the Mara, he took on, had to be at least 15-20 hyenas himself, alone. Killed and injured some. He was 1 full grown young male entering his prime years.  Hyenas don't want to tangle with an adult male if they don't have to, no matter how many is in the clan.!!!
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Australia Horizon Offline

(08-11-2022, 12:26 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Hyenas don't want to tangle with an adult male if they don't have to, no matter how many is in the clan.!!!

Olobor’ s video proves your point.

Often its said, 10 hyenas or 15 or such and such specific number of hyenas could counterbalance a male lion. Its not about numbers. If a healthy and agile male lion is around, it poses a grave threat to hyenas.  If it gets a good hold of the neck or the spine of a hyena for a few seconds, the unwanted surgery is performed for good.
5 users Like Horizon's post

Super Moderator

(08-11-2022, 12:26 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:

Juat take a look at a rescent video on FB and YouTube of  the  mischievous  Black Rock Boy Olobor, in the Mara, he took on, had to be at least 15-20 hyenas himself, alone. Killed and injured some. He was 1 full grown young male entering his prime years.  Hyenas don't want to tangle with an adult male if they don't have to, no matter how many is in the clan.!!!

Exactly my point, I had seen that video and I also saw a video a long time back, I believe it was a Mapogo, eating a carcass in the water, surrounded by what seemed like an entire clan of hyenas. They may have given him an occasional nip, but they never full on attacked him.

Heck, I just saw a video within the last two weeks, of a jackal coming up behind a very large male lion and biting him on the tail, as the lion was eating a piece of meat or bone. The lions tail would jerk when nipped at, but other than that the lion never even acknowledged the jackal's presence. The whole time, a friend of the jackal was standing off waiting for the lion to drop the meat and chase the jackal.

That is why I was a little surprised that the hyenas seemed to full on attack and injure DM.

Since it was such a recent video, I can locate and post it for anyone that is interested.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2022, 10:29 PM by afortich )

(08-11-2022, 10:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 12:26 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:

Exactly my point, I had seen that video and I also saw a video a long time back, I believe it was a Mapogo, eating a carcass in the water, surrounded by what seemed like an entire clan of hyenas. They may have given him an occasional nip, but they never full on attacked him.

Heck, I just saw a video within the last two weeks, of a jackal coming up behind a very large male lion and biting him on the tail, as the lion was eating a piece of meat or bone. The lions tail would jerk when nipped at, but other than that the lion never even acknowledged the jackal's presence. The whole time, a friend of the jackal was standing off waiting for the lion to drop the meat and chase the jackal.

That is why I was a little surprised that the hyenas seemed to full on attack and injure DM.

Since it was such a recent video, I can locate and post it for anyone that is interested.

I saw that video too. The lion didn't bother to look at the jackal Wink
I really like and impressed how @BigLion39 recognize all these lions.
3 users Like afortich's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Hyenas are clever. They encircle a lion and harras it till it either gives up and leaves or until it makes a mistake and they can attack him.

I guess the last happened to DM.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

It looked more like lion bites to the honest, he had a single puncture hole right at the base of his tail and two more on his thigh

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-11-2022, 10:49 PM)Tonpa Wrote: It looked more like lion bites to the honest, he had a single puncture hole right at the base of his tail and two more on his thigh

Might be, maybe some other lions found him on that carcass aswell.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post