There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-12-2021, 02:07 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 12:40 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Posted by Stephen Lee Sun who is currently on safari in elephant plains, guess they've gone back north for now. 

That video is prob from few days ago, when Mohawk was seen in MalaMala.

They were seen on Arathusa Airstrip by Zaaher Ali
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

By Legend Safaris

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-12-2021, 07:26 PM)Tonpa Wrote: By Legend Safaris

The boys are back on their stomping grounds
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2021, 12:13 AM by Tonpa )

https://www.instagram.com/stories/sabrew...303/?hl=en
Ig story by Simbambili safari guide of mohawk roaring on patrol
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The only and one - One of the Avoca males "Mohawk" seen yesterday morning in Northern Sabi Sands
Photo by: Africa Journey Nature Experience

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Venezuela titose Offline

The male Grumpy of the Northern Avoca Coalition known as "Mohawk".
#SabiSandsGameReserve
By Africa Journey Nature Experience

7 users Like titose's post

Gijima Offline

Southern Avocas by Rhino Post Lodge- April 14 2021
Tim Lepore 

8 users Like Gijima's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(04-13-2021, 06:21 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The only and one - One of the Avoca males "Mohawk" seen yesterday morning in Northern Sabi Sands

He's beginning to gain himself quite the reputation for being a rough character.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-15-2021, 06:35 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 06:21 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The only and one - One of the Avoca males "Mohawk" seen yesterday morning in Northern Sabi Sands

He's beginning to gain himself quite the reputation for being a rough character.

I couldn't be more agree! Mohawk started as the less dominant member within the Avoca coalition of three males, Now, He is becoming more and more confident and I dare say the most dominant of the three. He chased Nhenha on his own and  face to his brother Dark-maned

Venezuela titose Offline

(04-15-2021, 06:01 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: I couldn't be more agree! Mohawk started as the less dominant member within the Avoca coalition of three males, Now, He is becoming more and more confident and I dare say the most dominant of the three. He chased Nhenha on his own and  face to his brother Dark-maned
When it comes to mating and food rights all we have seen is that Blondie is the dominant male over Mohawk. 
By this I don't mean that there is a specific pecking order in this coalition as the duo have such strong ties that I doubt there is much difference between the two!
2 users Like titose's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-15-2021, 07:28 PM)titose Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 06:01 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: I couldn't be more agree! Mohawk started as the less dominant member within the Avoca coalition of three males, Now, He is becoming more and more confident and I dare say the most dominant of the three. He chased Nhenha on his own and  face to his brother Dark-maned
When it comes to mating and food rights all we have seen is that Blondie is the dominant male over Mohawk. 
By this I don't mean that there is a specific pecking order in this coalition as the duo have such strong ties that I doubt there is much difference between the two!

Mohawk was seen mating with a lot of females lately, so it still to be seen who's the dominant among the two males. In my personal opinion, Mohawk took the dominance at the moment.  
Anyway, They're just two males, so their dominance will changing 

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The 2 Southern Avocas were seen resting near Rhino Post Lodge, KNP, April 14.

3 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

(04-15-2021, 08:59 PM)Potato Wrote: The 2 Southern Avocas were seen resting near Rhino Post Lodge, KNP, April 14.

Is this location part of their normal territory or are they revisiting their old stomping grounds? It seems very far east but I know they used to hang out there a while ago.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(04-16-2021, 08:22 PM)Gijima Wrote: Is this location part of their normal territory or are they revisiting their old stomping grounds? It seems very far east but I know they used to hang out there a while ago.

They where seen there before, but not recently.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-16-2021, 08:22 PM)Gijima Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 08:59 PM)Potato Wrote: The 2 Southern Avocas were seen resting near Rhino Post Lodge, KNP, April 14.

Is this location part of their normal territory or are they revisiting their old stomping grounds? It seems very far east but I know they used to hang out there a while ago.

They were hang out there a few times before. They seems to established as dominant more in Kruger than Sabi Sands. A bit unlucky as these boys could have been a real force in the area