There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 11:14 PM by Tr1x24 )

2 S. Avocas with Sand River pride in Kirkmans Kamp:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sand River Pride consistent of 3 lionesses (2 older ones, 1 younger) and 1 cub fathered by Avocas.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Dark Mane Avoca in northern Sabi Sands, by Cheetah Plains :

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

Blondemane Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2020, 04:47 PM by Blondemane )

4 users Like Blondemane's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

I have one question, What will happend if avocas with meet each other?, i am not sure but, i think since last august they not seen each other.(Dark mane and other two)
1 user Likes Dreadlocks's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2020, 06:22 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-26-2020, 05:10 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: I have one question, What will happend if avocas with meet each other?, i am not sure but, i think since last august they not seen each other.(Dark mane and other two)

We dont know if they seen each other or not since then, most likely they did at some point.. 

Even if they didnt, by roars and scent marking they recognize each others on territory border.. DM exactly knows where his brothers are and vice versa..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-26-2020, 05:10 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: I have one question, What will happend if avocas with meet each other?, i am not sure but, i think since last august they not seen each other.(Dark mane and other two)

Most likely they see each others at least from time to time and keep their bond up. Most likely their bond still would be strong even if they wouldn't meet even from time to time. Mr T Mapogo was easly accepted back by his brothers after almost 2 years of formally spliting from a coallition (separate arena and prides). As I mentioned I do not think DM really split from a coalition, but as Mr T example shows even if he would I do not think Avocas would threat each others as rivals.
3 users Like Potato's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

(06-26-2020, 07:51 PM)Potato Wrote:

Most likely they see each others at least from time to time and keep their bond up. Most likely their bond still would be strong even if they wouldn't meet even from time to time. Mr T Mapogo was easly accepted back by his brothers after almost 2 years of formally spliting from a coallition (separate arena and prides). As I mentioned I do not think DM really split from a coalition, but as Mr T example shows even if he would I do not think Avocas would threat each others as riva
I know in bush can happend everything , they maybe meet each other time to time, but we do not have any photo or video, for me this is really interesting (another chapter of lions life), i am watching sabi sand lions around 4 years and i do not know what happening mapogos or matimba males split time, but i know when mr t went back he killed all cubs  sired by his brothers.
1 user Likes Dreadlocks's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-26-2020, 09:16 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: I know in bush can happend everything , they maybe meet each other time to time, but we do not have any photo or video, for me this is really interesting (another chapter of lions life), i am watching sabi sand lions around 4 years and i do not know what happening mapogos or matimba males split time, but i know when mr t went back he killed all cubs  sired by his brothers.

Coalitions split up to control more territory and prides.. You could find this example in almost every bigger coalitions, when they conquer territory and sire cubs they often divide themselves between the numerous prides and only rejoin sometimes in patrols..

Best current example are Mantimahles, after they conquer Sand River and Plains Camp prides and mate with them, they left those prides for 5th Mantimahle, other 4 moved of, and now 3 are with Nkuhlu pride and 4th Mantimahle has his own pride on s21.. Idk where is 5th Mantimahle currently, he might rejoin his brothers after he lost those 2 prides..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Blondemane Offline

4 users Like Blondemane's post

Blondemane Offline

Amazing video made in Djuma reserve...short appearence of avoca male and talamati pride. 

6 users Like Blondemane's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mohawk Avoca :

Photo credit: Anthony Goldman
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

Dark Mane Avoca on this morning's Wild Earth broadcast. He has developed a beautiful mane and was limping slightly. Wonder if it's related to the earlier injury.

Attached Files Image(s)

4 users Like Matimbalani's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2020, 11:20 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-21-2020, 09:27 PM)Matimbalani Wrote: Dark Mane Avoca on this morning's Wild Earth broadcast. He has developed a beautiful mane and was limping slightly. Wonder if it's related to the earlier injury.

Thats permanent limp on his front foot.

Are you sure he was seen today? I couldn't find that..

Edit: found it:

3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

He is a great looking lion
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-21-2020, 09:36 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 09:27 PM)Matimbalani Wrote: Dark Mane Avoca on this morning's Wild Earth broadcast. He has developed a beautiful mane and was limping slightly. Wonder if it's related to the earlier injury.

Thats permanent limp on his front foot.

Are you sure he was seen today? I couldn't find that..

Edit: found it:

I think Skorokoro of the Nharhu male is on the same way with the limp.