There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 10:27 PM by afortich )

R.I.P. King DM  Disappointed Angry Disappointed

10 users Like afortich's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Sleep in peace now my great boy.   As you roar with your brother and your queen Silvereye 

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 11-20-2022, 06:10 AM by DARK MANE )

I had choosen my handler name "DARK MANE" on 1st January 2022 because of majingilane DARK MANE.
Never thought you would be equally famous.
I have only read about mapogo pretty boy, but have seen you, The PHOENIX.
Most filmed lion on WE.
Now live peacefully with your dad BRUTUS and brother Blonde.
Keep blessing your MOHAWK and sons in nkuhuma and talamati pride.
You will be remembered forever young boy.
RIP
8 users Like DARK MANE's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 11:00 PM by Tr1x24 )

Quite emotional announcement by Tessa, it shows that DM really captured hearts of many people who followed him. People always link more with "underdog" stories, and it was a real struggle for DM, especially past year and before with his foot injury. 

But despite that, he had quite good few years as dominant male, almost 4 yrs, which is prob an average for how long males stay territorial in Kruger.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 11:10 PM by Mdz123 )

So sad to hear that our favoirte DM has died... 

Apart his brother, This is the first time an adult male lion has died in SS in many months, since Limper, I hoped this would not happen, but unfortunately nature never listen to us.

With his death means that N. Avocas now only have Mohawk left, although he remains in good condition, he has lost 2 of his brothers in 1 month, which is tragic to say the least. 

DM left behind a great legacy which is carried on by his children. Speaking of which, he has sired at least a few subadults in Talamati and Nkuhuma prides.

Rest In Peace DM, a true legend of SS.
9 users Like Mdz123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-19-2022, 11:00 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: This is the first time an adult male lion has died in SS since Tinyo

Limper Tumbela died after Tinyo, and Blondie Avoca died just few weeks ago.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-19-2022, 11:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-19-2022, 11:00 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: This is the first time an adult male lion has died in SS since Tinyo

Limper Tumbela died after Tinyo, and Blondie Avoca died just few weeks ago.

I didn't think about Blondie they are the same coalition, but your right, Limper did die after Tinyo.
4 users Like Mdz123's post

WildLeonis Away

DM was loved by a lot of people. So there will be many hearts broken today, including mine. He was fighter who proved his critics wrong by defying the odds for a very long time. He was, to me, the most interesting of the N.Avocas and I will miss checking in with WE and the Avoca FB page to see what interesting thing he’s been up to each week.

There’s so much great footage of DM out there. Here are some of my favorites which in no way encompasses all his cool moments. 

RIP DM. You are now forever, doing what you do best sleeping. Sad

DM infamously attacks Corky

DM recovery from broken foot due to first Buffalo hunt 

DM reunites with the Talamatis and they are overjoyed to see him!

DM sniffs out the pride then roars!

13 users Like WildLeonis's post

Contributor

(11-19-2022, 10:54 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: I had choosen my name "DARK MANE" on 1st January 2022 because of majingilane DARK MANE.
Never thought you would be equally famous.
I have only read about pretty boy, but have seen you, The PHOENIX.
Most filmed lion on WE.
Now live peacefully with your dad BRUTUS and brother Blonde.
Keep blessing your MOHAWK and sons in nkuhuma and talamati pride.
You will be remembered forever young boy.
RIP

I always wondered and was curious which boy inspired your handle.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2022, 11:23 PM by Mdz123 )

The death of DM a,so means theres a power vacuum in North SS now, Talamati with no pride male are squished in the most crowded part of SS, with PC males, Imbali male, Nhena/NYM, occasionally N'was and Skorro Jr, the future for them is really uncertain. The younge males will have to leave at some point, and hopefully the remaining females can rebuild.
5 users Like Mdz123's post

Hairy tummy Offline

RIP big fella, you leave us with lots great memories, your legacy carries on with your offspring.amazing how these lions capture your heart
8 users Like Hairy tummy's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

RIP Dark Mane. Sad

What an absolute battler, to the very end.
10 users Like LandSeaLion's post

Contributor

It’s touching to see and hear the overwhelming response to the news of his passing. 

Even as his condition over the last 12 months deteriorated but kept surprising everyone who expected his doom far earlier.    He defied a lot of odds and if you’ve watched the footage of the attack, it’s a miracle he lasted two days later.  

A most beloved lion indeed.   Will he missed by thousands.  

Sorry for the photo bomb, but Let’s celebrate the wonderful memories this fascinating lion left us.

Attached Files Image(s)

Salman B.A.M Offline

Will miss DM, the first coalition which I started watching live with WE and DM was my favourite
8 users Like Salman B.A.M's post

Contributor

This gem of a photo was taken by Johan saltsman  of two cubbies whom would form 2/3 Northern Avocas.  

Two brothers, who now sadly have left us.  

On the left, it’s Blondie and Dark Mane on the right.

Attached Files Image(s)