There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 01:53 AM by afortich )

(11-18-2022, 01:31 AM)BA0701 Wrote: DM, is currently laying on his stomach, still struggling to breathe, but does appear to be aware of his surroundings, and lucid. She mentions that hyenas will be looking for signs that he is weakened, and does say there is nothing they can do for him, so it doesn't sound as though there will be any intervention.

To be honest, it is my opinion that if the injuries won't cause his dead, there is no need to euthanize at this point but let destiny to keep its course. 
If condition worsen later, then, it will be appropriate to reconsider.
5 users Like afortich's post

1ofCourage Offline

(11-18-2022, 01:52 AM)afortich Wrote:
(11-18-2022, 01:31 AM)BA0701 Wrote: DM, is currently laying on his stomach, still struggling to breathe, but does appear to be aware of his surroundings, and lucid. She mentions that hyenas will be looking for signs that he is weakened, and does say there is nothing they can do for him, so it doesn't sound as though there will be any intervention.

To be honest, it is my opinion that if the injuries won't cause his dead, there is no need to euthanize at this point but let destiny to keep its course. 

Never rush death.  It comes soon enough.
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-18-2022, 01:52 AM)afortich Wrote: To be honest, it is my opinion that if the injuries won't cause his dead, there is no need to euthanize at this point but let destiny to keep its course. 

This injuries will be fatal, his rib cage is smashed. 

Even if there is no more internal damage except broken bones (although not likely), he will prob starve to death anyways (its even questionable if he can eat)..

But yea, he is still aware of his surroundings, but without food and with potential internal damage, his condition will get worse soon..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 03:37 AM by afortich )

(11-18-2022, 03:13 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-18-2022, 01:52 AM)afortich Wrote: To be honest, it is my opinion that if the injuries won't cause his dead, there is no need to euthanize at this point but let destiny to keep its course. 

This injuries will be fatal, his rib cage is smashed. 

Even if there is no more internal damage except broken bones (although not likely), he will prob starve to death anyways (its even questionable if he can eat)..

But yea, he is still aware of his surroundings, but without food and with potential internal damage, his condition will get worse soon..

"will be fatal" is different to actually "fatal" no recovery. I am assuming a vet checked him.

In non-intervention policy, it is too early to euthanize the animal. Otherwise, they're intervening, then, if they're intervening, why wouldn't they just save him?? it would be an incoherent policy making a decision at this point.
2 users Like afortich's post

1ofCourage Offline

(11-18-2022, 01:52 AM)afortich Wrote:

He does not look distressed in this video.  DM is so used to pain and injury that he just rolls with the punches. But what can he do really?
He could have suffered injury in his throat also which magnifies this "sound" because he doesn't look any fatter or bigger in his chest than yesterday, which I think is very good.
Either way, breathing with broken bones is not going to be comfortable or easy for at least 2 months if he can eat, avoid danger and infection.
4 users Like 1ofCourage's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 08:41 AM by 1999gc8 )

Poor guy he's always doing it tough with his leg injury although recently there was times where he looked like he was walking ok.

I felt so sorry for him just lying there being smashed and all he could do at the end was put one paw onto the face of the buffalo.

The footage reminds me of clip of John Varty showing Pretty Boy Mapogo being absolutely smashed to pieces by multiple buffalo.

Thankfully Dark Mane wasn't attacked as bad with some hope he can recover from it. His condition appears to have deteriorated lately so I pray he can recover from this injuries from the attack.
5 users Like 1999gc8's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-18-2022, 08:39 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: Poor guy he's always doing it tough with his leg injury although recently there was times where he looked like he was walking ok.

I felt so sorry for him just lying there being smashed and all he could do at the end was put one paw onto the face of the buffalo.

The footage reminds me of clip of John Varty showing Pretty Boy Mapogo being absolutely smashed to pieces by multiple buffalo.

Thankfully Dark Mane wasn't attacked as bad with some hope he can recover from it. His condition appears to have deteriorated lately so I pray he can recover from this injuries from the attack.

I don't wish to go OT, but if you could share the video you mention in the Mapogo thread, that'd be great. I haven't seen a video of PB being attacked by buffalo. I'll link the thread right here, thanks my friend!

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mig...s?page=167
4 users Like BA0701's post

Contributor

It seems that area where DM is located is still blocked.

3 users Like afortich's post

SalemMagi Offline
Lunar Leo

(11-18-2022, 08:39 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: Poor guy he's always doing it tough with his leg injury although recently there was times where he looked like he was walking ok.

This story of Pretty Boy Mapogo surviving an intense Buffalo attack gives me hope that All is not necessarily over with Dark Mane Avoca. 

My major concern right now is that we have lost visibility of DM which allows for the possibility that Sabi Sand could euthanize DM, especially after learning about the euthanization of Sassy Othawa by Sabi Sand recently.
2 users Like SalemMagi's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 01:35 PM by 1999gc8 )

(11-18-2022, 09:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I don't wish to go OT, but if you could share the video you mention in the Mapogo thread, that'd be great. I haven't seen a video of PB being attacked by buffalo. I'll link the thread right here, thanks my friend!

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mig...s?page=167

So far I've only found a very short clip of it where is looks like he cant move but manages to get up and run and John mentions he's never seen a lion take such a beating and live. In the short clip he doesnt mention his name or the lions hunting. In the full version John talks about how Pretty Boy got the name " the phoenix ". Over the weekend I'll go through my youtube history to find the full version of the video leading up to the footage of him almost being killed by what looks 6-8 buffalo.  In that clip  there's additional footage of the other mapogos finishing of the buffalo and eating and John also talks about Pretty Boys injuries. I wont post the short one otherwise I'll get shot down in flames lol. I'll definitely saved it as a favourite but it was a couple of months ago so will take some time to find due to hundreds of video to go through.
3 users Like 1999gc8's post

1999gc8 Offline

Unfortunately I cant find the clip but I watched it this year and save all mapogo videos to favorite's. I'm not sure if it was one of leos and was taken down or not. I'll keep looking though.
2 users Like 1999gc8's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think Pretty Boy ultimately got lucky nothing important got damaged. You dont just casually walk off severe internal injuries. 

With Darkmane, we know he wasnt that lucky. If he was fine he would have gone off by now.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States criollo2mil Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 04:48 PM by criollo2mil )

From WE

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

SalemMagi Offline
Lunar Leo
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 09:18 PM by SalemMagi Edit Reason: Added text )

Hopefully Dark Mane can reconnect with the Talamati Pride and and get some nourishment~

6 users Like SalemMagi's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 11:01 PM by WildLeonis )

I’m simply amazed that he’s able to walk around in his condition. I thought he might remain sedentary and not go anywhere. 

As usual DM never disappoints with his actions. Always doing the unexpected. Always keeping it interesting.

Hopefully he stays safe. My biggest concern for him is being attacked by other lions or predators.
4 users Like WildLeonis's post