There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

lionuk Offline
Contributor

6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 04:19 PM by Tr1x24 )

Oh, looks like multiple ribs are broken and prob internal damage.. He cant recover from this..

This is extremly painful.. As we where talking about intervention by euthanization in other thread, i hope guys in charge take it in consideration for DM, otherwise it will be slow and painful death..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 04:54 PM by WildLeonis )

This is so sad. I saw the WE footage of him this morning.His breathing is labored, no significantly so, but he is breathing heavier than usual and when he breathes you can clearly see something is going on beneath the skin where his ribs would be. So he probably does have a couple of broken ribs. And with it being reported that he’s unable to lay flat it could be the ribs and other internal issues are causing him discomfort where he’s unable to properly rest.

If this is truly the end for him, I hope Sabi Sands will take action. I know the reserves don’t normally intervene when an issue is caused by nature doing its thing but hopefully they will make an exception with DM and give him a peaceful exit. It would be awful if they just sat there filming him in this condition, in pain and likely to be attacked by other predators, eventually, without making the decision to euthanize him.
6 users Like WildLeonis's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

More updates on DM Avoca.

4 users Like DARK MANE's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

He is clearly having problem even in laying down.
They are saying some fluid get collected in his lungs.

4 users Like DARK MANE's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 06:42 PM by Mdz123 )

(11-17-2022, 04:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Oh, looks like multiple ribs are broken and prob internal damage.. He cant recover from this..

This is extremly painful.. As we where talking about intervention by euthanization in other thread, i hope guys in charge take it in consideration for DM, otherwise it will be slow and painful death..

Yeah, I also hope vets intervene... DM's condition is defo worthy of intervention, although he will probably be euthanized, if vets dont intervene, he will likely die anyways based on the heavy injuries. I really hope he somehow recovers.
3 users Like Mdz123's post

United States BorntobeWild Online

From WildEarth:

"Dark Manes location has been zoned off till further notice, WE will keep everyone updated"

Hope they can do something, not just let him suffer to death.
5 users Like BorntobeWild's post

1ofCourage Offline

Video is posted on Twitter at @LionLover of DMs tragedy.  I can’t watch it.
2 users Like 1ofCourage's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Normally i can watch those videos but i cant watch these, really gutted, dm has been a real character since i took a interest in lions. Doesn't look good for the big fella
6 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I guess then that video will be the last we will ever see of him alive. Leaving us a wait for his Obituary.

I hope that will happen soon. I know people are rooting for the fellah and offcource it would be amazing if he does pull through. But even just breathing seems to be causing him excruciating pain and he is stuck there without food, water or shelter... 

It is time to let him go. He has given us already enough. We atleast owe him his final rest. So if he now decides to give up and lie down. Id have peace with that.
5 users Like Duco Ndona's post

1ofCourage Offline

(11-17-2022, 06:36 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: He is clearly having problem even in laying down.
They are saying some fluid get collected in his lungs.

I think it is the air he is breathing which is leaking out from a rip in his lungs and accumulating in his chest cavity, and that pressure on his lungs will slowly increase making it harder and harder for him to inhale. There may be some blood mixed in too.
It's an insidious injury which without internal stitches and surgery will most certainly be fatal. If he had a hole made in his side, it would release the pressure so that it wouldn't build like that inside him.
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2022, 12:34 AM by BA0701 )

As mentioned, a little more information on the zoning off.

5 users Like BA0701's post

United States WildLeonis Away

(11-18-2022, 12:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote: As mentioned, a little more information on the zoning off.

I know when they zone off they’re doing so to not further stress an animal who is in a delicate situation or condition. I’ve seen this happen quite a bit with big cats and hyenas who are denning. But this situation is obviously different. Are they zoning off so that the reserve can assess the situation ie assess DM to see if they want to intervene and euthanize or let nature take its course?
4 users Like WildLeonis's post

Super Moderator

(11-18-2022, 12:40 AM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(11-18-2022, 12:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote: As mentioned, a little more information on the zoning off.

I know when they zone off they’re doing so to not further stress an animal who is in a delicate situation or condition. I’ve seen this happen quite a bit with big cats and hyenas who are denning. But this situation is obviously different. Are they zoning off so that the reserve can assess the situation ie assess DM to see if they want to intervene and euthanize or let nature take its course?

It's not really clear what their reasons are in this instance. He says once it is unzoned, they will be going back into that area and that they will "follow up on his (DM"s) life". Many ways that can be taken, perhaps a retrospective, perhaps on his current condition. Until we hear back with any certainty, we can all draw our own conclusions, as to what that means.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

DM, is currently laying on his stomach, still struggling to breathe, but does appear to be aware of his surroundings, and lucid. She mentions that hyenas will be looking for signs that he is weakened, and does say there is nothing they can do for him, so it doesn't sound as though there will be any intervention.

6 users Like BA0701's post