There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 02:20 AM by afortich )

(11-17-2022, 01:57 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Possibly a broken front leg as well. They sure did a number on him. I know exactly how the guide feels.

He is walking better in this video at night, and appears to me that he's breathing better as well.
2 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Apparently filmed tonight. Dark Mane at 6:31. He's moving still, just hope he has a peaceful night, not being pestered by other predators. Said they will return in the morning, to check on him again.

4 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 02:35 AM by Duco Ndona )

I think this video predates the coughing one.
The morrow will probably tell us more.

Nevermind. Didnt see the new vid
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

Poor Dark Mane.

I’m always surprised by how amazingly resilient big cats can be (see for example the lion that recently sustained a horrific skull injury but was still behaving normally)…but this really doesn’t look good. I hope that he can still pull through, somehow.
4 users Like LandSeaLion's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 11:20 AM by afortich )

(11-17-2022, 02:37 AM)LandSeaLion Wrote: Poor Dark Mane.

I’m always surprised by how amazingly resilient big cats can be (see for example the lion that recently sustained a horrific skull injury but was still behaving normally)…but this really doesn’t look good. I hope that he can still pull through, somehow.

I was thinking the same thing, in the video you're talking about, the injury was not only in the skull, a small piece of the brain was mutilated as well.
2 users Like afortich's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline
Rainbow 

Signed up just to comment about Dark Mane. He’s such an amazing survivor and hoping the nkuhuma sub adults make a kill soon so DM can get a meal.

I’ve imagined that Dark Mane is an active participant in hunts. I feel he would come in last and assist the take down and do the final bite on the windpipe. He and the nkuhuma haven’t hunted together before so they didn’t know/have practice how to hunt together.

I love DM, such a survivor and very good father, his sons and daughters adore him and I always love the lions that are good to their lionesses and Cubs and have excellent social skills. 

He would be an excellent partner to Mohawk or his talamatis boys. I’m glad he at least has company, he was contact calling earlier for company and my heart broke. He just wants his family. I HOPE he can pull through it at least pass on peacefully.

* I’ve been unable to view like 90% of pictures and Facebook/ Instagram posts and I miss a lot so if I’m wrong please let me know.
5 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

1ofCourage Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 08:57 AM by 1ofCourage Edit Reason: Expounding )

Dark Mane’s lungs work well in this video. It hurts to breathe when you have broken ribs which would also make him breathe with shorter breaths. Was he reliving the whole episode? Perhaps his throat is injured with that weird sound.
3 users Like 1ofCourage's post

1ofCourage Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 09:55 AM by 1ofCourage Edit Reason: Can’t see )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like 1ofCourage's post

SalemMagi Offline
Lunar Leo

(11-17-2022, 08:34 AM)1ofCourage Wrote: Dark Mane’s lungs work well in this video. It hurts to breathe when you have broken ribs which would also make him breathe with shorter breaths. Was he reliving the whole episode? Perhaps his throat is injured with that weird sound.

What do you make of the air bubbles in his chest region? obviously, I would prefer that he didn't have a punctured lung but the air bubbles that are visible when he inhales and exhales are very suspect.. i hope this boy can heal and regenerate.
3 users Like SalemMagi's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 12:00 PM by Tonpa )

His right side looks okay, but he has "bubbling" on the left side. Doesn't seem to be able to lie down either.

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The dark urine is also a bad sign.
That he only seems to move very short distances also isnt promising. I wonder what the distance between him and any potential allies are.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

BigLion39 Offline

Not good. Poor boy. Hope he pulls though. Just as he was climbing back from the depths into better health. Goes to show, every lion on every buffalo encounter has a high probability of this happening! Crazy!
3 users Like BigLion39's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Full video of HOW DARK MANE WAS MAULED.

7 users Like DARK MANE's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-17-2022, 01:40 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Not good. Poor boy. Hope he pulls though. Just as he was climbing back from the depths into better health. Goes to show, every lion on every buffalo encounter has a high probability of this happening! Crazy!

Well, there are risks of hunting buffaloes, incidents happen, but its way less chance that healthy and prime lions get gored, then injured, unhealthy/weak, old or inexperienced/young lions.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

NOT FOR SENSITIVE VIEWERS

5 users Like lionuk's post