There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Vidhan Dwivedi

Lion king .

Sasan gir

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Lycaon's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

(10-21-2019, 09:18 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 11:38 PM)lionjaguar Wrote: You were saying that Asiatic lions were smaller from measuring weight. How about comparing other measurements beisdes weight? Which one is bigger cats? Don't forget African lions, barbary lions and cape lions.
I heard lion is the second largest cats all the time.  I always notice that male lions looks bigger than other cats in sanctuary, circus, and zoo when they are next to other cats. Why lion is considered as the second biggest cat after lion looks bigger than any other cats. They are lighter in weight, and people are making them as the second biggest?

Captive lions look bigger because of the mane, that is very common fact in captive animals. Lions have longer heads and adding the effect of the mane, they look impressive at the side of any cat, but is just an illusion.

So it is not just weight, is also body size. Check this old images that I have, you can see the diferences in body size, not only weight, between the largest tiger populations and all the lion populations as a hole.

There is some information that need to be updated, for example, I think that the lions from Southwest Africa are slightly heavier because of new weigthts published, but the measurements do not change.

Thanks alot! I was curious about it all the time since male lion looks the biggest cat. I am still uncertain about it since male lions look way bigger in video and photo in captivity. It isn't even small margin.
How come the barbary lion in your photo is much bigger than other lions in Africa?

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Rajiv Welikala

The King of Gujarat. The Asiatic Lion

6 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Tinku Disoza

Gir devaliya Safari lion 22.9.2019

4 users Like Lycaon's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 08:44 PM by epaiva )

Strength, great closeup of Asiatic Lion paw, picture taken in The Gir Forest National Park
Credit to @tapansheth

3 users Like epaiva's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

bhavesh.trivedi

Asiatic Lion - Mating

again from my archives.. this is a scanned version from printed photograph

What I find interesting, is that this male has quite a nice mane .
5 users Like Lycaon's post

Sanju Offline

4 users Like Sanju's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Alert and healthy asiatic lion.

3 users Like Lycaon's post

India Hello Offline

(10-23-2019, 12:55 AM)lionjaguar Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 11:38 PM)lionjaguar Wrote: You were saying that Asiatic lions were smaller from measuring weight. How about comparing other measurements beisdes weight? Which one is bigger cats? Don't forget African lions, barbary lions and cape lions.
I heard lion is the second largest cats all the time.  I always notice that male lions looks bigger than other cats in sanctuary, circus, and zoo when they are next to other cats. Why lion is considered as the second biggest cat after lion looks bigger than any other cats. They are lighter in weight, and people are making them as the second biggest?

Captive lions look bigger because of the mane, that is very common fact in captive animals. Lions have longer heads and adding the effect of the mane, they look impressive at the side of any cat, but is just an illusion.

So it is not just weight, is also body size. Check this old images that I have, you can see the diferences in body size, not only weight, between the largest tiger populations and all the lion populations as a hole.

There is some information that need to be updated, for example, I think that the lions from Southwest Africa are slightly heavier because of new weigthts published, but the measurements do not change.

Thanks alot! I was curious about it all the time since male lion looks the biggest cat. I am still uncertain about it since male lions look way bigger in video and photo in captivity. It isn't even small margin.
How come the barbary lion in your photo is much bigger than other lions in Africa?
When I was young, I used to think the same,'' aren't Lions supposed to be the largest cats''as a zoology student When I was grown up, I came to know that lions have large manes and generally higher at shoulders on average and maximum while tigers are largest cat in terms of weight, length and bulk.when lions and tigers are of the same size. The lion appear larger due to their erect posture and mane. The tallest tiger was of 118 cm over pegs and tallest lion of 145 cm over curves
3 users Like Hello's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(10-29-2019, 12:20 PM)Hello Wrote:

When I was young, I used to think the same,'' aren't Lions supposed to be the largest cats''as a zoology student When I was grown up, I came to know that lions have large manes and generally higher at shoulders on average and maximum while tigers are largest cat in terms of weight, length and bulk.when lions and tigers are of the same size. The lion appear larger due to their erect posture and mane. The tallest tiger was of 118 cm over pegs and tallest lion of 145 cm over curves

Lion vs tiger is much more complicated than that. Even Bengal tiger vs Siberian tiger isn't as simple as people may think: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-who-is-...amur+tiger
1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2019, 11:20 PM by lionjaguar )

(10-29-2019, 06:29 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:

Lion vs tiger is much more complicated than that. Even Bengal tiger vs Siberian tiger isn't as simple as people may think: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-who-is-...amur+tiger

Disagree. It is true that lion is the second strongest cats. I noticed people from Africa and Middle East are always overpraising on lions. Or people who knows nothing about animals in media.
2 users Like lionjaguar's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

Good explanation. That could right. Male lions were probably highly overrated by humans since the civilization started. Due to their manes and appearance. Even today as well. People who don't know anything about the animal always writing overpraising comments in every lion photo, video, and news. It's easy to notice when people are insulting hyena despite hyena is more successful predators than the lion.
2 users Like lionjaguar's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Traveling Clicks

Great photo of devraj

3 users Like Lycaon's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(10-23-2019, 12:55 AM)lionjaguar Wrote: Thanks alot! I was curious about it all the time since male lion looks the biggest cat. I am still uncertain about it since male lions look way bigger in video and photo in captivity. It isn't even small margin.

Captive animals are not a good comparison, they depend of "human" factors and do not develop naturaly. Other problem are the subspecies in captivity, as far I know most of the famous zoos in USA breed Sumatran tigers and people compare them with the lions close to them, which are going to be obviously larger. Other thing is the over feeding, which may trigger huge sizes or obese specimens. So, don't trust in captive specimens.

About the image of the African lions, there is a clear explanation in the image, check it:

As you can see, I escalated the Barbary lion to its "maximum size" while all the others are to its "average size", great mistake now that I see it, because must of the people don't even bother to read ALL the text and only see the images. So, indirectly, the image hence the myth that Barbary lions were larger than other lions.

For more information, please visit this link: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-siz...rbary-lion

Here I go very deep in the size of the Barbary lion and the conclusion is clear, they were no larger than any other African lion population.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

Painting by Paul de Vos from 1638–1640, in the Museo del Prado, Madrid, depicting 3 wolves attacking a lion over a caprinehttps://www.museodelprado.es/coleccion/o...b1160f02db 

3 users Like BorneanTiger's post