There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Asiatic Lion - Data, Pictures & Videos

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Just another Asian lion..

5 users Like Rishi's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

5 users Like Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

7 users Like Rage2277's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 11:44 PM by Ashutosh )

Devraj:

Kesari:

Savaj:

Big girl:

7 users Like Ashutosh's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Good looking male.

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Lycaon's post

animal enthusiast

6 users Like Rage2277's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Impressive mane.

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
6 users Like Lycaon's post

Jerricson Offline
Prometheus

@GuateGojira , I've mailed Dr. Ravi Chellam recently regarding the 160-190 kg range corroborated in the book, 'Wild Cats' published by Nowell and Jackson . I specifically enquired him regarding 3 aspects and I'll quote his words below :

1. Regarding the individual lion weights of that sample -
Quote:I do not have access to my field notes now. This was based on the animals we had tranquilised for radio collaring between 1987-88.

2. Regarding the gut fill - 
Quote:These were wild free-ranging lions. None of them were fully fed nor were any starving. I had no way of esstimating the amount of food that was still in each of their systems.

3. Regarding any more lions he's weighed apart from the ones published in the book 'Wild Cats'-
Quote:In total I weighed three adult males 4 independent times and 3 adult females and one sub-adult male.

I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get any new weights but he has mentioned that only 3 adult males were weighed and in the original source , the sample size is quoted as 4 . So I'm guessing one of the males might've been captured twice. Let me know what you think.
1 user Likes Jerricson's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(06-30-2022, 08:09 PM)Jerricson Wrote: @GuateGojira , I've mailed Dr. Ravi Chellam recently regarding the 160-190 kg range corroborated in the book, 'Wild Cats' published by Nowell and Jackson . I specifically enquired him regarding 3 aspects and I'll quote his words below :

Quote:I do not have access to my field notes now. This was based on the animals we had tranquilised for radio collaring between 1987-88.

Quote:These were wild free-ranging lions. None of them were fully fed nor were any starving. I had no way of esstimating the amount of food that was still in each of their systems.

3. Regarding any more lions he's weighed apart from the ones published in the book 'Wild Cats'-
Quote:In total I weighed three adult males 4 independent times and 3 adult females and one sub-adult male.
I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't get any new weights but he has mentioned that only 3 adult males were weighed and in the original source , the sample size is quoted as 4 . So I'm guessing one of the males might've been captured twice. Let me know what you think.

Good information, thank you for sharing it. You are right, he mention 3 males (in 4 captures) and 3 females. Now, let's corroborate what Nowell & Jackson (1996) said in this composite image of the two chapters:

*This image is copyright of its original author

It is weird that the information do not match with the females, but this is because that book had errors, although it is understandable as they managed a huge amount of information. At the end, we will never know which was the weight of the other male and the second capture of one of the other males. For females, we also know only two, as that is what the document mention.

About the stomach content, I have more information, check this from Jonhsingh (2006):

While this doesn't mean that all the captured lions had up to 30 kg of stomach content, it clearly mention that some of those males did had some stomach content included in the body mass recorded.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Jerricson Offline
Prometheus

(07-01-2022, 12:38 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 08:09 PM)Jerricson Wrote: @GuateGojira , I've mailed Dr. Ravi Chellam recently regarding the 160-190 kg range corroborated in the book, 'Wild Cats' published by Nowell and Jackson . I specifically enquired him regarding 3 aspects and I'll quote his words below :

Good information, thank you for sharing it. You are right, he mention 3 males (in 4 captures) and 3 females. Now, let's corroborate what Nowell & Jackson (1996) said in this composite image of the two chapters:

It is weird that the information do not match with the females, but this is because that book had errors, although it is understandable as they managed a huge amount of information. At the end, we will never know which was the weight of the other male and the second capture of one of the other males. For females, we also know only two, as that is what the document mention.

About the stomach content, I have more information, check this from Jonhsingh (2006):

While this doesn't mean that all the captured lions had up to 30 kg of stomach content, it clearly mention that some of those males did had some stomach content included in the body mass recorded.
I concur with you on the baiting issue guate . Also thanks for sharing the source regarding that aspect . I was searching for that few days ago but I wasn't able to dig it up.
1 user Likes Jerricson's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Devraj and his cubs.

7 users Like Lycaon's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-07-2022, 11:54 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Devraj and his cubs.

How old is he? He is such an impressive male, in every way, including that atypical mane of his.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@BA0701 

He is around 6 to 8 years old .
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2022, 12:48 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 11:54 PM)Lycaon Wrote: Devraj and his cubs.

How old is he? He is such an impressive male, in every way, including that atypical mane of his.

(07-08-2022, 01:07 AM)Lycaon Wrote: @BA0701 

He is around 6 to 8 years old .

In his prime, we should be able to enjoy him for many years to come. Thanks Bro!
2 users Like BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

Wow Devraj is impressive!
3 users Like BigLion39's post