There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals and the cultures that worshipped them

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

In the early American West, according to tales told by both pioneers and Indians, grizzlies once hunted bison. With an estimated near 100 million bison and 100 thousand grizzlies, this certainly makes sense. Even though the bear likely hunted ( imo ) calves, sub-adult, and very old bison there were battles fought between bull bison and grizzlies. According to the tales told, the bear won these fights as often as he lost. The grizzly also hunted the feral ancestors of Texas Longhorn, usually defeating the massive bulls ( according to those telling the tales. In the arena fights between grizzly and bull, the grizzly nearly always defeated the bull. The bear was also the champion of the Roman games. 
2 users Like brotherbear's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

@LionKiss, the lions described by the earlier human civilizations were belonged to the West African branch rather than the Sub-Saharan African lions that we commonly known today.

Most Sub-Saharan male lions were stereotyped to be lazy and let the females to do the hunting. However, the male lions from the Barbary & other West African groups were hunting by themselves, and their courage and audacity were symbolized by many ancient civilizations.

Lions are just like humans, they have their own distinct cultural groups, and not all lions behave the same way.
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

You need to be more open minded in your research. Notice the places you name as accounts for worshipping the lion. 
Yet you name none for worshipping the tiger yet the tiger is one of the most worshipped animals throughout history.

http://listdose.com/10-most-sacred-worshipped-animals/

Your logic is extremely skewed, naming one successful predation but not naming failed predation is exactly what I mean. Yes, you can show me instances of lions taking on buffalo but I can show you just as many instances of buffalo and many other animals running off the same exact lions.

To me it sounds like you are saying the lion is the bravest?
I suggest you research the tiger and what hunters say about them. Corbett would of been the first person to specifically say how amazingly brave or "courageous" the tiger is.

So instead of saying one is "braver" than the other, or fiercer, etc. 
You need to look with more realistic eyes, both are apex predators, dominate their terrain and have too many examples of "bravery" to list as well as too many examples of being "chicken" to list as well.

A lion, tiger or bear isn't concerned with whether a human cares if it's "brave" it only has one job.... Survive by any means.

"The tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
4 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

You haven't opposed my post as I though you may have wanted to, in fact strengthening my point.

Again the lions image does not necissarily reflect its attributes, what humans see is very subjective so if an empire worshippes a lion, it worships the image of the lion and not its actual nature.
2 users Like Sully's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 02:14 AM by LionKiss )

@Pckts @svtigris

people who worship animals are stupid or have underculture or primitive.

Humans never worship animals not even other humans no matter who they are.

The right word is Admire
1 user Likes LionKiss's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

(01-04-2016, 01:58 AM)SVTIGRIS Wrote: You haven't opposed my post as I though you may have wanted to, in fact strengthening my point.

Again the lions image does not necissarily reflect its attributes, what humans see is very subjective so if an empire worshippes a lion, it worships the image of the lion and not its actual nature.

of course I have opposed your entire post,
as a matter of fact it was not me but all the Great Powers of the History of Mankind from 2000 BC and older.

Can someone show me a statue of a tiger in one of the European or North American Cities,

so far I have shown you statues of Lions from London, Chicago, Paris, Rome, I am sure there are more but not time for more searching

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 02:28 AM by Pckts )

Zoolatry is the worship of animals and it has been going on throughout the existence of man.

Tigers don't exist in those places, hence why you don't see tiger sculptures. But the Asian continent is littered with tiger sculptures, temples, paintings, etc.

The world is far larger than Europe and N. America my friend.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

(01-04-2016, 01:17 AM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote: @LionKiss, the lions described by the earlier human civilizations were belonged to the West African branch rather than the Sub-Saharan African lions that we commonly known today.

Most Sub-Saharan male lions were stereotyped to be lazy and let the females to do the hunting. However, the male lions from the Barbary & other West African groups were hunting by themselves, and their courage and audacity were symbolized by many ancient civilizations.

Lions are just like humans, they have their own distinct cultural groups, and not all lions behave the same way.

male lions hunt a lot and they always be in the first line when the pride needs a lot of food and need to kill big animals,

it was confirmed by @Majingilane in an other post here in this forum,

just see utube there are 10s of videos with male lions killing big animals

Ecology & Rewilding

Well just look at the "medical powers" of tiger bones, that is certainly along those lines.
1 user Likes Sully's post

Greece LionKiss Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 03:00 AM by LionKiss )

(01-04-2016, 02:18 AM)Pckts Wrote: Zoolatry is the worship of animals and it has been going on throughout the existence of man.

Tigers don't exist in those places, hence why you don't see tiger sculptures. But the Asian continent is littered with tiger sculptures, temples, paintings, etc.

The world is far larger than Europe and N. America my friend.

why had Lions ever existed in Chicago, Paris, Rome or London? they were transported there by man

The world is far greater than Europe and N America but all Great Powers of the past were European and since they had a extremely higher point of education than people living in Asia or Africa they had better judgement.

Do you believe that the people living in India during the Roman Empire, say 100AD had a better level of education than the Roman Citizens.

Besides all sciences, philosophy, medicine, arts appeared in Europe, well this is a historical fact.

Greece LionKiss Offline

(01-04-2016, 02:27 AM)SVTIGRIS Wrote: Well just look at the "medical powers" of tiger bones, that is certainly along those lines.

what do you mean, I don't get the meaning of your post

Ecology & Rewilding

Is that not some form of the supernatural aura?
2 users Like Sully's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Well, instead of arguing which civilization/culture is more superior, I think it is far more critical to save the original lion population that was once venerated by the ancient civilizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_lion
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

What are you talking about? 
What does education have to do with anything? No empire named had near the education we have today, they saw far less than we see today, know far less, etc.
And no single modern zoologist of any merit would ever say that a lion is "braver than a tiger or bear" or any other way around.

And once again, you name minimal examples, there are just as many dominate empires from Asia, Africa, s. America etc as there are European.
Don't confuse technology for greatness, the invention of modern weapons is what dictated the rise in European areas.

So in the end, if you're saying that "SOME" cultures have idolized the lion throughout history, that is fine. But nothing else can be said in regards to one being more or less "courageous"

And also, I absolutely do not think one culture was/is more intelligent than another. We can look back now and see just as many absurd claims from there time as they could from cultures past which will be the same when our children look back on us.

Funny enough about the Roman arena, the only instance of lion vs tiger in the coliseum resorted in a tiger killing a lion, btw.
But remember, 1000s of animals and people were slaughtered there. These animals were scared, tortured and forced into the most unnatural scenarios you can imagine. the only reason lions were "seen" so often is because they were far easier to obtain during those times.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

A side note, I think we have stumbled across a good thread topic.
"Zoolatry and the cultures that worshipped them."
We should take a deeper look into these cultures, why they worshipped them, for what qualities and how are they worshipped. Also looking into the foreign influences throughout each culture.

Probably could move a lot of this discussion there as well.
2 users Like Pckts's post