There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
All about Gaur (Bos gaurus)

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-01-2015, 08:20 PM)'brotherbear' Wrote: Are those jackals or dholes?

Dholes

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2015, 01:31 AM by Pckts )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Bigcat Enthusiast

Sorry I don't have a better link, but here is the page to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/Bittusahgal
The video is of two huge bull gaur and a impatient Forest guide who aggressively drives between them, the two then ram the jeep as he drives past.
Check out how absolutely massive they are!!

The guide has been suspended till June and this happened in Kahna apparently.
Let me know if you can't watch on his page.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Wow they are gigantic! 

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-27-2015, 10:36 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: Wow they are gigantic! 

This is the first time I have been able to use something to scale a wild bull gaur, I couldn't believe how large they are.
Those guys are no joke, their size is outrageous. I'm still looking for a video link so I can post the actually video here.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2015, 03:29 AM by Pantherinae )

Yeah I gotta admit that I have underestimated their size! Always known they are monsters, but no way near that size! The thing that makes this even more impressive is that both Bulls are that big! Both those guys are over a ton, I have no doubt about that! 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2015, 03:34 AM by Pantherinae )

Would not like to stand in the middle there! Jesus I love Indian herbivores, they are just so unique in looks!
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-27-2015, 10:18 PM)'Pckts' Wrote: Sorry I don't have a better link, but here is the page to view it.

The video is of two huge bull gaur and a impatient Forest guide who aggressively drives between them, the two then ram the jeep as he drives past.

A little more info on the incident Bittu SahgalSanctuary Asia7 hrs · Edited · ROWDY TOURISM AT ITS WORST. Who knows this vehicle (103) and driver? Who knows who shot this video, which was sent to Sanctuary anonymously? We are asking for both vehicle and driver to be banned from Tadoba for one year at least? Would the tourists in the front vehicle and the photographer who shot this kindly help us out? Write to [email protected] or call 02223633471. Confidentiality guaranteed.Postscript: Information that has come in to us through this very vibrant Sanctuary Asia Facebook Group suggests that the vehicle was contracted to, or owned by Tuli Resort, Kanha, (not from Tadoba) and the driver was someone called Tara Chand. The guide whose name was Suresh claimed he tried to ask the driver to reverse, but he refused. One way or the other, that vehicle should be seized under the Wildlife (Protection) Act for harming wildlife and the driver banned from entering the park for a much longer period, so others will get the message.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

(04-27-2015, 11:16 PM)Pckts Wrote: I'm still looking for a video link so I can post the actually video here.

Pckts, I uploaded that video on youtube, So now we can see it here.

3 users Like sanjay's post

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(04-27-2015, 10:18 PM)'Pckts' Wrote: Sorry I don't have a better link, but here is the page to view it.

cant find the video. could you help???

By the way, did anybody read the letter from the 10 year old boy to the Agriculture Minister? Tjat guy shared it on his timeline.

https://twitter.com/SanctuaryAsia/status...12/photo/1

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/06/11/...59128.html

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-28-2015, 12:12 PM)'sanjay' Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 11:16 PM)'Pckts' Wrote: I'm still looking for a video link so I can post the actually video here.

Pckts, I uploaded that video on youtube, So now we can see it here.

Heres the video @Wanderfalke

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

many thanks

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 07-05-2015, 02:53 AM by GuateGojira )

Body size of the gaur:

The magnificent gaur is famous for been the largest bovid in modern days, although some evidence suggest that the Indian water buffalo could be heavier.

Many times the size of these great mammals has been discussed, but the use of unreliable evidence and internet rumors made impossible to get to an accurate conclusion. I managed to summarize the data of body measurements and weights available in literature from gaurs hunted in the wild, and although this don't exhaust all the data available (I guess there are some other measurements over there), it gives a good idea about the size of this magnificent animal.

First, here is the table with the raw data, all measurements between pegs:

Second, here is the comparative image of an average male gaur, together with the summarize of the measurements from the table:

Take in count that the head-body length came from the nose to the root of tail, so the animal itself is slightly longer, about 290 cm at the tip of the hip. There is an exceptional weight of 2,700 lb "clean" (1,225 kg) from Cochin, China, but the figure seems unreliable are at least doubtful. I label it as "Indian" because there is a record from a Sri Lanka gaur that I posses and the animal seems very small, although is described as fully grow.

There are common references in literature and the web (including Wikipedia) of lengths of 330 cm in head-body, but this constitutes exaggerations and came from the book "Walker Mammals of the World"; check the image:

Now, we can see that those measurements are incorrect, based in the real sizes recorded from specimens in the wild.

Enjoy the data. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

9 users Like GuateGojira's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Amazing @GuateGojira you gotta make much more of these comparisons! I enjoy them so much! 
-Cape buffalo  
-Water buffalo 
-Eastern Lowland gorilla 
-South African male lion 
-Jaguar 
-Spotted hyena

would all be amazing to see! thanks for putting time into these comparison's! 
1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Well, let's see:

-Cape buffalo - I need data from real measurements, not just the "popular" ranges.
-Water buffalo - I have the data, but I need the original source of the 1,200 kg record weight.
-Eastern Lowland gorilla - I have the data, I still have one old image that I could post here again.
-South African male lion - I have the data, is the one for the next weekend.
-Jaguar - I have the data.
-Spotted hyena - I have the data.

I am making one each weekend. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

4 users Like GuateGojira's post