There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(11-10-2018, 01:56 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: @GuateGojira 

I hope you are doing well my friend, It's been a while since i took any interest in these type of debates. there are a few things that i wanted to address. 

Quote:This male tiger and other two females of 110 kg and 160 kg each (link: https://borneobulletin.com.bn/bhutan-con...esa-tiger/) are the first weights reported from Bhutan. The figures shows animals of normal size, and somehow remind me when the first weights from Amur tigers started to arise. Take in count that the weight of 160 kg includes, apparently, stomach content.
I just wanted to talk about a few things that you consider normal and also the stomach content argument that you always bring up, which i feel for the most part is irrelevant.
first, I am going to talk about the male tiger of 6-7 years of age. there's nothing normal about him to begin with, he went on a long term cattle killing spree and he killed 18 cattles to be exact in a one year span. there is a high chance that he was unfit to survive in the wild and was unable to hunt his normal prey item (reasons unknown), perhaps he was pushed out by the more dominant males and was struggling to get by. in India, at least. any male that that has resorted to killing cattle for long term survival was either old, beaten or had a permanent injury of some sort. the 3 year old sub-adult female of 110kg should classify as a normal animal and the 160kg adult female is certainly a big girl. 

Quote:Now, while I am going to focus in these three figures in order to get corroboration of them, I have doubts about all the other figures of measurements and weights presented here. In an old post @Dr Panthera said something very important: most of these "modern" weights are not corroborated by scientists in a document, they are only reports in news papers, webpages or even facebook conversations, which decrease its credibility.

tiger dynamics are very different from every region, for example. India is very involved with tigers in general. there's tons of pages on facebook alone. vast majority of them run by people in the field. for example, Tigers of KanhaTigers of TadobaTiger protection societyTigers of Central India, Claw - Conservation lenses & Wildlife and many others. you can find many park directors, including tiger experts working in the field, chief conservators of the forest among many others. the platform going on is a very idealistic approach where we not only follow tigers on day to day basis but we also learn everything about individual animals. I personally know of more than half a dozen organizations that follow wildfact anonymously. Wildlife Institute of India, WCS IndiaWCS Russia, WWF, IFAW etc etc. I think it's a very arrogant statement that you made in regards to the credibility of these sources. you don't always need something on a pdf file for you to freely open for it to be true, i think your opinion of credible differs from the rest of us. you can't discredit the hard work of people that go out of their way to reach out to people in the field and provide answers to us. that's not who we are, we're a forum of tiger enthusiasts that are directly involved ourselves. we are the voices of today and will always remain that way but in order for us to survive. we can never discredit our sources. personally I don't think you should be touching the tiger weight charts if you are going to be selective about it, you can't cherry-pick what you see as credible. just my two cents. 

Ciao

@Roflcopters, I am very surprised for you answer, is very harsh and shows something that I did not expected from your part. But let me take the two points separatelly.

About the male of 170 kg from Bhutan, you may be right, a tiger killing cattle may be in bad conditions, but somethimes they are actually fat. The article do not mention any details about its health status and that is why I want to investigate this case. Remember that is always good to have all the information posible. You must remember that when I contacted the Russian scientists about some weights of male Amur tigers in news reports and even "official" documents, it resulted that the weights were incorrect and animals that were described to weight 220 kg and 250 kg, at the end they weighed only 182 kg and 200 kg respectively.

Now about your concern about the credibility of the sources, this is not the first time that this is discussed in this forum. In fact, I am very aware that those communications may be very reliable, but you need to understand that the information that we have here is also used in other forums and webpages. You need to be very aware that were are been whatched by other people, specifycally in Carnivora, and a couple of posters there are just waiting for the next error to attack us again, that is something that we must avoid. The comment about the reliability was broght by @Dr Panthera (a reliable poster from my point of view) not by me. In fact, I normally used all the figures available to made my tables. However, during all this time, I learned that those webpages and Facebook conversations need to be verified. In any moment I am been arrogant or I am insulting anyone. For the contrary, I only suggested that when a weight is not "officially" published, it reliability can be put in doubt by any person, specially those that are whatching us in other forums.

You need to remember the cases of weights of up to 280 kg reported in news papers from tigers in Ranthambore or other sites, but at the end those figures were just mere estimations. Also are all those reports that contradict between them about the weights of the same tiger and many of the reports in this topic don't even describe the sex of the specimen! That is why we need to corroborate ALL the available figures, the more information the better the data. A good example is when the weight of 240 kg for tiger Ustad was actually corroborated trough email, so we can use it.

I hope that you can understand my point of view and I am 100% sure that I am not the only one that think in the same form (the same can be applied by the lions, jaguars and leopards). We need to understand that the accuracy need to be very important. If not, we can suffer another case like the famous lion of 272 kg that was attacked so many times in AVA and at the end it was reliable. We need to learn from our previous errors and in the case of all the "modern" weigths and measurements from tigers reported here, is important to corroborate all of them. I invite you, togheter with @Pckts, @Kingtheropod" and @peter to understand my point of view.

About my tables, I will include (for the moment) only the weights reported in documents, scientific litterature and those corroborated by emails of the scientists involved. If this offend you, with all the respect you are free to discard my work and make your own. In fact any poster here is free to do and fell as they please.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
[email protected] - Pantherinae - 03-24-2022, 02:12 AM
about the tiger - Tiger898 - 06-02-2022, 03:50 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 07-24-2022, 12:49 AM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-29-2022, 11:43 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 08-31-2022, 01:06 PM
[email protected] - Roflcopters - 09-01-2022, 12:41 AM
RE: Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers - GuateGojira - 11-10-2018, 11:54 AM
RE: The Sunderban Tiger - Rishi - 10-27-2017, 04:35 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 10:03 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Roflcopters - 06-20-2018, 10:35 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-20-2018, 10:39 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 08:07 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 11:23 AM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 04:46 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 07:05 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Spalea - 06-21-2018, 07:43 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pantherinae - 06-21-2018, 08:06 PM
RE: Bigcats News - Pckts - 06-21-2018, 11:02 PM