There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Poll: In your opinion, how much maximum weight can a human lift during an adrenaline rush?
This poll is closed.
800 pounds.
25.00%
1 25.00%
1000 pounds.
0%
0 0%
1200 pounds.
25.00%
1 25.00%
1700 pounds.
25.00%
1 25.00%
One whopping ton (2000 pounds.)
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Strength

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

@Pckts,

I've actually seen others tear their biceps (not sure it was a partial tear or full tear for them) whilst curling, usually because they maxed out too fast without properly warming up or stretching, or they did it when their muscles were too fatigued like I did, and that was the main reason why. I also over-exerted myself as well at the end of the curling workout. It was a complete tear of the lower two heads of the biceps (meaning the elbow area), and after the initial doctor visit, my doctor suggested me surgery and I followed his advice.

About your hernia, man, that sucks. How long have you been having the pain symptom? Never had anything like that before (at least yet).

And is Giga Chikadze joining Rizin as well, by any chance? Rizin is like a "new PRIDE" to me, since it was created by the original owner of PRIDE. Fedor and Cro-Cop are back to kicking ass there!
2 users Like Polar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-28-2017, 12:19 AM)Polar Wrote: @Pckts,

I've actually seen others tear their biceps (not sure it was a partial tear or full tear for them) whilst curling, usually because they maxed out too fast without properly warming up or stretching, or they did it when their muscles were too fatigued like I did, and that was the main reason why. I also over-exerted myself as well at the end of the curling workout. It was a complete tear of the lower two heads of the biceps (meaning the elbow area), and after the initial doctor visit, my doctor suggested me surgery and I followed his advice.

About your hernia, man, that sucks. How long have you been having the pain symptom? Never had anything like that before (at least yet).

And is Giga Chikadze joining Rizin as well, by any chance? Rizin is like a "new PRIDE" to me, since it was created by the original owner of PRIDE. Fedor and Cro-Cop are back to kicking ass there!

No, he'll be sticking with Glory, they are the strongest Kickboxing organization around at the moment, Bellator has also started a kickboxing sector as well. Rizin is never going to be a serious competitor IMO, too many things have come to light from the Pride days (fighters taking dives, irresponsible drug use, mismatches)

In regards to my hernia, I have been having a strain in my abdomen for the last 6 months or so, especially during squats. It also coincided with my messing my back up deadlifting. It's like my body just had enough and gave me multiple injuries at once. Not fun but I'll be back, just going to have to walk the recovery road for a while.

You can definitely tear your biceps from curls as will I just usually see them happen with deadlifts since most people aren't putting the same type of strain on them with curls that they do with deadlifts when done improperly. But injuries are weird, they can happen at very random times and with movements you've done 100s of times, you just never know.
2 users Like Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM by peter )

" ... it's like my body just had enough and gave me multiple injuries at once ... ". You could be close there. When you're still young and a sport you know real well results in severe injuries, the time has arrived to change a few things.

Take your time after surgery. The best way to recover, by far, is rest. Doing nothing doesn't mean you shouldn't walk, swim, bike or run. It means you should refrain from activities that require the utmost. Although those who ignored this advice (professional athletes in most cases) did recover more quickly than others, many of them later paid. Unfortunately, one seldoms reads about this 'later paid' part.   

When you feel your energy returning, start moving around. If you go for running, do a few miles and keep it at that. When you get older (over 30), you got to adapt. This means doing less more often. According to a recent study conducted in the UK, the best way to keep fit is to do something that requires balance. This is the best way to activate nerves. Nerves, and not pressure, seem to trigger the growth of muscles. Half an hour a day will do. After 60 minutes, the gain in fitness is zero. To continue means you're on your way to a new injury. But my guess is you already knew. 

Good luck with the surgery.
3 users Like peter's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

A story about the few fights that I had during my time in MMA training.
3 users Like Polar's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Which do you prefer?     https://fitness.stackexchange.com/questi...o-you-dete  

• Bodybuilding is primarily building and shaping your muscle for aesthetics. However, there is a big nutritional component to bodybuilding that's required to get into contest shape. Bodybuilding is characterized by volume work in hypertrophy ranges. The higher reps per set keep the max weight down and recovery higher--provided you manage the volume correctly. You perform your poses in front of judges, and the person with the highest score for the day wins. There's actually a few variations of bodybuilding, and the criteria for judging are a little different for each.
  • Powerlifting is about getting the highest total in the squat, bench press, and deadlift. In competition, you have three attempts at each lift, and the heaviest weight for each of those lifts counts toward your total. Powerlifting can be performed using assistive gear or "raw" (in most feds, raw is just a belt and singlet, sometimes with knee wraps). The goal of powerlifting is to get very strong in those three lifts.
  • Strongman is a strength competition where the challenges vary from competition to competition. There is usually a weighted carry (using yokes, farmers walks, etc.), unconventional lifting (such as atlas stones, car deadlifts, etc.), overhead work, and some form of deadlift. It stresses your cardiovascular system as well as your raw strength.
  • Weightlifting or as most people know it, Olympic weightlifting is about getting the heaviest snatch and clean and jerk. It's essentially two lifts to get the heaviest total in competition. Both weightlifting movements require you to generate a lot of force in as quickly as possible, and then catch the weight either on your shoulders or above your head (depending on the lift).
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

I definitely prefer strongman: more real uses of strength and endurance over a enduring period of time, much like how many wild animals use their strength. The other three are sort of a one-time competition (unless you have two lifting meets in one day, which sucked for me), and usually involve much less time and stamina. I've never participated in a strongman contest and would like to do so one day.

Overall, I like to keep things real and strongman is equivalent to a grizzly trying to pull a buffalo carcass over a mile.
1 user Likes Polar's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Have any of you seen how Mitrione manhandled Fedor at Bellator 180? Fedor should just quit fighting, he was once the best (always will be IMO) but his fighting mileage has caught with his old age.

Polar Bear Enthusiast

Genotype influences muscle performance

"Elite endurance athletes commonly have mutations that result in the loss of the protein α-actinin-3, which is a major component of fast-twitch muscle fibers. Loss of α-actinin-3 is associated with reduced power, increased endurance capacity, and enhanced response to endurance training.

In this issue of the [i]Journal of Clinical Investigation, Kathryn North and colleagues at the Murdoch Children's Research Institute report that the loss of ?-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fibers, results in compensation by ?-actinin-2. The presence of ?-actinin-2 in fast-twitch muscle contributed to reprogramming these muscles through increased calcineurin signaling.[/i]

This study provides insight into how mutations in the gene encoding ?-actinin-3 promote skeletal muscle adaptations that are advantageous to elite endurance athletes."

So, endurance runners naturally have microscopic aerobic muscular advantages to their muscles.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-05-2017, 08:44 AM)Polar Wrote: Genotype influences muscle performance

"Elite endurance athletes commonly have mutations that result in the loss of the protein α-actinin-3, which is a major component of fast-twitch muscle fibers. Loss of α-actinin-3 is associated with reduced power, increased endurance capacity, and enhanced response to endurance training.

In this issue of the [i]Journal of Clinical Investigation, Kathryn North and colleagues at the Murdoch Children's Research Institute report that the loss of ?-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fibers, results in compensation by ?-actinin-2. The presence of ?-actinin-2 in fast-twitch muscle contributed to reprogramming these muscles through increased calcineurin signaling.[/i]

This study provides insight into how mutations in the gene encoding ?-actinin-3 promote skeletal muscle adaptations that are advantageous to elite endurance athletes."

So, endurance runners naturally have microscopic aerobic muscular advantages to their muscles.
It could be a chicken before the egg or vice versa scenario.

Endurance runners need less muscle mass sucking up all their oxygen while sprinters need explosive fast twitch fibers to get off the blocks quickly.

"Have any of you seen how Mitrione manhandled Fedor at Bellator 180? Fedor should just quit fighting, he was once the best (always will be IMO) but his fighting mileage has caught with his old age. "

Fedor was my favorite heavyweight of all time but his avoidance of better competition and "drug testing" really made me lose respect for him. I have no doubt that fedor was using PED's, which is fine, most of his competition was as well in the pride days but still, it sits poorly with me.
If he would have fought modern day heavyweights, his poor fundamentals would of cost him everything, he got away with it when fighting the likes of NOG, Fijita, sylvia, etc. But had he been forced to fight the better stand up fighters of todays generation with their superior tdd and BJJ, it would of happened sooner than later. Which is what you saw in the end against Hendo, Mitrione, Big Foot, Werdum etc.
What I would of loved is to see him fight at LHW and have wars with Rampage, Shogun, Wanderlei, Arona, Guy and Hendo back in the prime Pride days.
2 users Like Pckts's post

United States malikc6 Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Polar I do not understand what you mean that we don't use 100% of our strength during an adrenaline rush, or at least an enormous amount of it. We wouldn't be able to do any of the feats other humans have done in times of a crisis. I recall watching "Human Body Pushed to the Limits-Strength". Based off of an actual event, a hiker was pinned by a rock slabbing weighing at least 1000 lbs, and was heading right off of a cliff nearly killing him, and in that great moment of life or death, he tossed it off his body, which tore several muscles all over his upper body. Without the adrenaline, he would not have been able to do that. An average person (or even most strong individuals) cannot lift or toss 1000 lbs off of their body without that boost.
2 users Like malikc6's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2017, 09:23 PM by Polar )

(09-08-2017, 02:53 PM)malikc6 Wrote: Polar I do not understand what you mean that we don't use 100% of our strength during an adrenaline rush, or at least an enormous amount of it. We wouldn't be able to do any of the feats other humans have done in times of a crisis. I recall watching "Human Body Pushed to the Limits-Strength". Based off of an actual event, a hiker was pinned by a rock slabbing weighing at least 1000 lbs, and was heading right off of a cliff nearly killing him, and in that great moment of life or death, he tossed it off his body, which tore several muscles all over his upper body. Without the adrenaline, he would not have been able to do that. An average person (or even most strong individuals) cannot lift or toss 1000 lbs off of their body without that boost.

Show me that account, please. I never recalled hearing that but would like to look into it. My opinion is that there must have been some sort of mechanical advantage (or he was pinned in a advantageous way) for him to shift the 1000-pound boulder off of him.

Normally, we don't tend to use 100% of our strength during everyday tasks or when we are not excited or angry. However, when we get excited or angry, adrenaline flows through our nervous system activating greater/larger oxygen pathways of our muscles and greater oxidative capacity, which makes us use our full strength. But it is only a slight difference, like 10-15% only. Nothing extreme such as deadlifting 300-pounds when calm and them breaking the world record of deadlift when we are excited/angry, it's nothing like that.

Plus, I found your YouTube channel. Very interesting topics!

United States malikc6 Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

(09-08-2017, 09:19 PM)Polar Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 02:53 PM)malikc6 Wrote: Polar I do not understand what you mean that we don't use 100% of our strength during an adrenaline rush, or at least an enormous amount of it. We wouldn't be able to do any of the feats other humans have done in times of a crisis. I recall watching "Human Body Pushed to the Limits-Strength". Based off of an actual event, a hiker was pinned by a rock slabbing weighing at least 1000 lbs, and was heading right off of a cliff nearly killing him, and in that great moment of life or death, he tossed it off his body, which tore several muscles all over his upper body. Without the adrenaline, he would not have been able to do that. An average person (or even most strong individuals) cannot lift or toss 1000 lbs off of their body without that boost.

Show me that account, please. I never recalled hearing that but would like to look into it. My opinion is that there must have been some sort of mechanical advantage (or he was pinned in a advantageous way) for him to shift the 1000-pound boulder off of him.

Normally, we don't tend to use 100% of our strength during everyday tasks or when we are not excited or angry. However, when we get excited or angry, adrenaline flows through our nervous system activating greater/larger oxygen pathways of our muscles and greater oxidative capacity, which makes us use our full strength. But it is only a slight difference, like 10-15% only. Nothing extreme such as deadlifting 300-pounds when calm and them breaking the world record of deadlift when we are excited/angry, it's nothing like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-AMPUnR38

Video dramatization but yeah that's the instance. 

As for my youtube channel, I had to put quite a bit of them on private because I often talked about controversial topics and these days, if someone finds your posts/videos on social media or any other hosting site, you can risk losing your job because of political correctness and people's feelings getting hurt.
2 users Like malikc6's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

(09-08-2017, 11:11 PM)malikc6 Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 09:19 PM)Polar Wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-AMPUnR38

Video dramatization but yeah that's the instance. 

As for my youtube channel, I had to put quite a bit of them on private because I often talked about controversial topics and these days, if someone finds your posts/videos on social media or any other hosting site, you can risk losing your job because of political correctness and people's feelings getting hurt.

Wow. Although they didn't explain the exact positioning he was in relative to the rock, they only showed a simulation of him under the rock. He might have been positioned 45 degrees to the rock, thus giving him a mechanical advantage to push the rock up since some of the gravitational force is dissipated and the rock is a (mostly) rotational object. Also he was rolling down along with the rock, and due to that acceleration of the rock, it would have been easier to push it rather then if he was on a leveled surface. Another thing. Who knows if that rock was actually 1000-pounds? It may have just been 100-, 200-, or 300-pounds at max. Assuming that rock has similar density to most other rocks we see everyday on this planet, a rock of the size shown here couldn't have been 1000-pounds.

His account and the simulation of his account says things slightly differently.

As for my YouTube channel, I do swear quite a bit and curse a lot, but I don't plan on monetizing my videos for the next 3 years. Basically, until I graduate and get my first job out of university. I don't know how this will affect my job security in the future, but I want to create an audience and make a big impact on them as well as using my channel as a way to increase connections and opportunities outside of my personal career.

How's your life going?

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2017, 03:34 AM by Pckts )

(06-01-2016, 05:17 AM)Polar Wrote: I'll pull up other strength feats of some fighters, wrestlers, and other professional athletes (stats are all raw):

Brock Lesnar (6'3" and 280 pounds)

Bench: 550 pounds
Squat: 800 pounds
Deadlift: 720 pounds
Total: 2070 pounds

Hulk Hogan (6'8" and 322 pounds)

Bench: 600 pounds
Squat: 785 pounds
Total: 2105 pounds

Mark Henry (6'4" and 370 pounds at his prime)

Squat: 1100 pounds
Deadlift: 950 pounds
Total: 2650 pounds

Aleksandr Karelin (6'3" and 282 pounds)

Squat: 800 pounds
Deadlift: 700 pounds
Total: 2100 pounds

Larry Allen (6'3" and 325 pounds)

Bench: 705 pounds
Squat: 905 pounds
Deadlift: 885 pounds
Total: 2495 pounds

Me (6'0" and 231 pounds)

Bench: 385 pounds
Squat: 700 pounds
Deadlift: 625 pounds
Total: 1710 pounds

Hulk Hogan is 6'6''/ 6'5'' Tops
Rodman is 6'7''

*This image is copyright of its original author

Also, I have a hard time believing these numbers

"Me (6'0" and 231 pounds)

Total: 1710 pounds"

Your height and weight would mean you'd be in the 220lb weight class and those numbers would put you over the IPA Raw Amateur world Record, it's tough for me to believe these.
But if it's true, I apologize and you should be competing.
http://www.ipapower.com/WR/M220.htm
3 users Like Pckts's post

Polar Bear Enthusiast

(12-03-2017, 02:48 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 05:17 AM)Polar Wrote: I'll pull up other strength feats of some fighters, wrestlers, and other professional athletes (stats are all raw):

Brock Lesnar (6'3" and 280 pounds)

Bench: 550 pounds
Squat: 800 pounds
Total: 2070 pounds

Hulk Hogan (6'8" and 322 pounds)

Squat: 785 pounds
Total: 2105 pounds

Mark Henry (6'4" and 370 pounds at his prime)

Squat: 1100 pounds
Deadlift: 950 pounds
Total: 2650 pounds

Aleksandr Karelin (6'3" and 282 pounds)

Squat: 800 pounds
Deadlift: 700 pounds
Total: 2100 pounds

Larry Allen (6'3" and 325 pounds)

Bench: 705 pounds
Squat: 905 pounds
Deadlift: 885 pounds
Total: 2495 pounds

Me (6'0" and 231 pounds)

Total: 1710 pounds

Hulk Hogan is 6'6''/ 6'5'' Tops
Rodman is 6'7''

*This image is copyright of its original author

Also, I have a hard time believing these numbers

"Me (6'0" and 231 pounds)

Total: 1710 pounds"

Your height and weight would mean you'd be in the 220lb weight class and those numbers would put you over the IPA Raw Amateur world Record, it's tough for me to believe these.
But if it's true, I apologize and you should be competing.
http://www.ipapower.com/WR/M220.htm

It was true until I tore my biceps from curling (remember the storytime video?), and started lifting way less heavy and much less vigorously after. And when I went to university I got lazy regarding my lifting (because of academic stress - Engineering major), gained 20 pounds in my first semester and 30 more in my second, and, when, I went back to lifting the summer after my first school year and noticed that I got much weaker (only a 505-pound deadlift at maximum).

Now in my second year, I am still too lazy to exercise, but am starting to lose weight sitting at 265 instead of 285 after 3 months of ketosis. Hopefully willing to gain my strength back and get myself back into heavy lifting. However, I would still like to continue to compete in amateur MMA, and one never knows, I might just reach RIZIN! (<that was probably a joke.)
2 users Like Polar's post