There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

South Africa Rabubi Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 02:21 PM by Rabubi )

(04-18-2024, 09:57 AM)Robot00 Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 04:52 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 10:01 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The eldest of the Skorro Males offspring.    

He is looking really good, glad to hear he is still alive.
Their son from the myambula pride? If so, it's unfortunate his fathers were dethroned so fast.

On another note: I think there's quite a bit of matimbas lineage inbreeding in and around that area in my opinion.
He's their son from the Western Pride. It really was a pity that the Skorro males were ousted by the Vuyela males but I agree with you, the Myambula pride needs new blood. It has already raised 2 sets of Matimba descendants.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(04-18-2024, 02:20 PM)Rabubi Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 10:01 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The eldest of the Skorro Males offspring.    

Their son from the myambula pride? If so, it's unfortunate his fathers were dethroned so fast.

On another note: I think there's quite a bit of matimbas lineage inbreeding in and around that area in my opinion.
He's their son from the Western Pride. It really was a pity that the Skorro males were ousted by the Vuyela males but I agree with you, the Myambula pride needs new blood. It has already raised 2 sets of Matimba descendants.

is other male skorro still alive?
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(04-19-2024, 04:09 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 02:20 PM)Rabubi Wrote:

is other male skorro still alive?

Has not been sighted in many months.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Monwana young males, Mapoza sons:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-20-2024, 10:05 PM by Potato )

(04-20-2024, 06:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Monwana young males, Mapoza sons:
The one in this clip look more like bigger maned Xikukutsu to my eye.
3 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

4 users Like Hairy tummy's post

BigLion39 Offline

I know YBM was sighted a few short weeks ago, has Torchwood been seen? I think it was eluded to them being in an altercation with other males.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

Whilst the elephants were the most abundant of the big animals (although the zebras might disagree with this, as they too were very active in the greener sections around Tanda Tula Safari Camp), it was the lions that made sure we had a week to remember.  With some regular return guests of ours visiting the new camp for the first time since their previous visits to Plains Camp, we had some work to do, especially as last year they saw 57 different lions during their week with us.  Well, the lions didn’t disappoint this time, and after only three days of safari, we had ticked off 53 different lions from four different prides, and one coalition of males!  These included an afternoon spent with 21 members of the Giraffe Pride (with Hercules) as they rested off some full bellies at a waterhole in the west.  A brief visit of 12 members of the Sark Breakaway Pride that were found close to our airstrip one evening.  The three lionesses of the River Pride did not have a great week of hunting, and after having left the three cubs on their own for around five days, they were eventually found with the cubs, but all members of the pride looked like they could do with a big meal!  The three Vuyela males that were with them were anything but thin!  I am not sure what is going on with the lionesses; I was convinced that the older female was pregnant, but now she doesn’t look like it at all, and the pale female seems to be producing milk; yet she was drawing the most attention from the males.  The pride was around for a couple of days, but the good news is that despite heading north out of our concession, the word was that the pride had enjoyed some hunting success and were found with a young giraffe kill – better news was that the males were not with them, so they can enjoy the meal in peace!  The last pride to pitch up this week were the Mayambulas.  Ginger found three adult lionesses and a Birmingham Breakaway male in the south-east near the Kruger Boundary one afternoon and had a great sighting as the pride stalked and caught a warthog whilst they were watching them.  The sound of hyenas and lions near Machaton Dam drew the attention of the guides towards the end of the week, and upon following up found another 11 members of the pride finishing off the remains of a wildebeest kill.  Strangely though, despite their numbers, the lions didn’t seem keen to have any attention drawn to themselves and soon relinquished the remains of the kill to the hyenas.  We caught up with them as they headed towards a pan and had a drink before settling for the day.  Despite being less than 2km away, the three Vuyela males did not hear the commotion and the pride managed to move off without incident.  With the Birmingham Breakaway males in control of some of the pride, it does appear as though a couple of lionesses and the young adults and subadults have become a splinter group for now. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Both Birmingham young male and Avoca young males seen at Shindzela, not far from each others:

Photo Credits: Johan Smalman and others

They might bump into each others which would be interesting.

Young Avoca looks great recently, his mane grown and looks like he got more massive overall in body.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 07:35 PM by BA0701 )

(04-23-2024, 07:29 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Both Birmingham young male and Avoca young males seen at Shindzela, not far from each others:

Photo Credits: Johan Smalman and others

They might bump into each others which would be interesting.

Young Avoca looks great recently, his mane grown and looks like he got more massive overall in body.

We have a few BYMs floating around, what with Osindile (the OB, Original BYM), and the white male and his two brothers, not to mention the 6 from the breakaway pride (who I have not heard very much about in some time). Exactly which one is this?
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2024, 08:21 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-23-2024, 07:35 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Exactly which one is this?

Youngest cousin of Osindile, white male and his bros from Birmingham pride.

He is son of Osindile's sister, born in 2020.

Theres actually a sighting on WE where in 2020 Osindile leads us to his sisters denning site with this guy as few weeks old cub in it:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-23-2024, 08:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-23-2024, 07:35 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Exactly which one is this?

Youngest cousin of Osindile, white male and his bros from Birmingham pride.

He is son of Osindile's sister, born in 2020.

Ah, ok, thank you so much for this! That would make a great pairing, and man that Avoca Young Male is really looking good, especially in light of all he's been through. Clearly a good hunter, and able to care for himself, he's make a great partner for any male(s) in need of one.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

2/5 Vuyela males at Kings Camps Lodge

Photo credit:: Jason Street
Timbavati Game Reserve

4 users Like Timbavati's post