There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reintroduction of Wolves and Lynx into Britain

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 02:36 AM by Sully )

An article on Anders Povlsen, a billionaire who's aim is to restore the original ecology of the highlands in the area he has bought. 

Here is his manifesto which seems honest enough to me: 

http://wildland.scot/anne-anders-holch-povlsen/

And here are the parts of the article relevant to reintroduction:

"They have embarked on an ambitious programme which aims to restore native woodland, peatlands, wetlands and rivers and species on their estates - although this "wildland" pledge has been met with scepticism from some, who fear the couple's ultimate goal is to reintroduce predators such as wolves and lynx to their ancient Highland habitats.
People close to the Povlsens play down this possibility - and insist the couple's actions can be partly explained through the cultural ethos known as Jante Law, which underpins life in Denmark and other parts of Scandinavia.
In essence, it means that people are expected to live life in a thoughtful and modest way, and "not to think you are anything special".

Tim Kirkwood, chief executive of Wildland - the Aviemore-based company which manages the Povlsen estates - says the couple are "genuinely modest and humble people" who "prefer to be judged by what they do and not what they say".

These actions include planting one-and-a-half million trees on the Killiehuntly Estate in the Cairngorms National Park, as well as reducing the numbers of sheep and deer on many of the estates.

Tim Kirkwood, chief executive of Wildland - the Aviemore-based company which manages the Povlsen estates - says the couple are "genuinely modest and humble people" who "prefer to be judged by what they do and not what they say".

These actions include planting one-and-a-half million trees on the Killiehuntly Estate in the Cairngorms National Park, as well as reducing the numbers of sheep and deer on many of the estates.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Mr Kirkwood says the Povlsens will invest about £50m over the next three years alone on re-wilding projects across their estates, with the promise of further investment over what is considered to be a 200-year project by the family.

He added: "I cannot stress enough this is not land ownership for the sake of land ownership. These plans are considered and for the long-term benefit of the landscape and its ecology.
"By having continuous lands I think it does help manage the landscape better, it is much easier to achieve things, certainly in a consistent manner than you would struggle to achieve with more fragmented ownership."

Mr Kirkwood also described the potential reintroduction of species such as wolves and lynx as being at the "more radical end" of the re-wilding scale - with decisions on whether it should happen for future generations to take, and "not now".

He added: "We are more at the people and place end of the scale just now. It is more important to forge ahead with these large-scale conservation projects."

I would be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed at the general perception of predators here in the Britain. The irrational fear is absurd. Having gone through the standard British education system, I can say with 100% confidence that everything I know about the natural world has been self taught. Ecology/zoology/macrobiology are neglected subjects. Of course ignorance leads to fear, and you have pushback which is unsubstantiated, based on emotion. This is aimed towards farmers too, who neglect the positive effect predators have on the very environment they make a living. These isles have slaughtered all it's big predators and raped its environment in the name of "development" yet have the arrogance to look down upon other countries who have dwindling populations of predators(better than extinct!) and declining respective biome cover in order to achieve what we did years ago. We need to get our affairs in order before waving the finger. It is hypocrisy.
1 user Likes Sully's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reintroduction of Wolves and Lynx into Britain - Sully - 06-13-2019, 02:34 AM