There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jungle Book Official US Teaser Trailer - april 2016

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

@Pckts cool, haven't watched much leading up to it but I thought it looked a bit big. I only know the thing from when I used to play zoo tycoon ages ago.
2 users Like Sully's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-jungle-b...201741499/ 

‘The Jungle Book’ Becomes Highest-Grossing Hollywood Release Ever In India
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2016, 11:26 AM by sanjay )

This is Baloo, the sleepy brown bear. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

I watched the movie today. Neel Sethi portrayed the feral jungle boy perfectly. In the 5-star rating system, I give Mowgli a perfect score of 5 stars. Of course, in Rudyard Kipling's novel, the jungle boy, being raised by wolves went about the jungle Au Naturale. But, we all know that such a thing would be impossible in a world-society not yet mature enough. 
Shere Khan and Bagheera were done wonderfully. 5 stars to them both. Kaa was so eerie; Scarlett Johansson at her best. Even though the big python was not trying to kill the boy in Kipling's book, I give her 5 stars. 
King Louie! Walt Disney had decided to toss an orangutan into the story. Even though the big orange apes are not native to India, I could be alright with that. However, Jon Favreau took it about 40 steps further and made King Louie a Gigantopithecus! On top of that, he makes the gargantuan ape out to be the size of King Kong! Outrageous! Absurd! I give King Louie 0 stars. 
Akela and Raksha. Beautifully played, even though grey wolves are not living in India. 5 stars. 
Sarcasm is a manner of speech often going unnoticed by some. Post #48 is sarcasm. Baloo is a Himalayan brown bear. Sure, Bagheera called him a sloth bear; that was sarcasm. Believe with your eyes and not words you hear. Perhaps he was out-of-place in the jungle because, unusual for a brown bear, Baloo is afraid of heights. I give Baloo a score of 5 stars.  

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-25-2016, 09:18 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

King Louie is like the Mosasaur from the Jurassic World which got blown out of proportion.
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Baloo is a sloth bear in the movie. Where did you get sarcasm from that? The only sarcasm in that scene is when bahgeera comments on "sloth bears working"

Even the Disney sneak peek says he's a sloth bear as well.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

(04-25-2016, 07:49 PM)Pckts Wrote: Baloo is a sloth bear in the movie. Where did you get sarcasm from that? The only sarcasm in that scene is when bahgeera comments on "sloth bears working"

They made him a brown bear by appearance, maybe it supposed to be "cooler"?
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-25-2016, 09:07 PM)GrizzlyClaws Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 07:49 PM)Pckts Wrote: Baloo is a sloth bear in the movie. Where did you get sarcasm from that? The only sarcasm in that scene is when bahgeera comments on "sloth bears working"

They made him a brown bear by appearance, maybe it supposed to be "cooler"?
He doesn't even look like a brown bear or any bear that actually exists today. His odd facial structure and unnatural body makes me think that they used multiple bear species as influences for his look.

We can only go off of what he is claimed to be, a sloth bear. 
Many visual inaccuracies in the movie but that certainly didn't get in the way of me enjoying it.

Canine Expert
Moderators

Definitely a brown bear by appearance, mostly the Himalayan brown bear.

2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I don't think he looks like a brown bear.
In fact you can take pieces of multiple bears and use them to connect some dots.
Which is the point of the movie I think.

Also they use more recognizable characteristics like making the wolves more tundra than Indian or making Louie look like an orangutan.

Grizzly Enthusiast

Rudyard Kipling described Baloo as a "sleepy brown bear." Never have I seen a brown sloth bear. Neither Kipling nor Disney described Baloo as a small, shaggy, black bear who sucked up ants and termites like a vacuum cleaner. And yes, in size and appearance the 2016 Baloo looks like a Himalayan brown bear and certainly not like a sloth bear ( post #48 ). Yes, when Bagheera called him a "sloth bear," that was sarcasm. 
I cannot remember if it was the Disney animated version or perhaps one of the more recent live-action films, Someone ( Mowgli, Bagheera, or perhaps Baloo or even Shere Khan ) referred to Kaa as a worm. That was sarcasm.  

Grizzly Enthusiast

I don't think he looks like a brown bear.
In fact you can take pieces of multiple bears and use them to connect some dots.

So, Pckts sees Baloo as a "connect-the-dots" bear. Sorry, but all I see is a Himalayan brown bear. But scrap it. It is fantasy after all. 

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-26-2016, 12:22 AM)brotherbear Wrote: I don't think he looks like a brown bear.

So, Pckts sees Baloo as a "connect-the-dots" bear. Sorry, but all I see is a Himalayan brown bear. But scrap it. It is fantasy after all. 

We can claim him to be whatever we want, but nothing changes the fact that in this rendition, he is a Sloth Bear.
Quoted in the movie, quoted by disney and thus, that is what he is.
Is he a literal sloth bear, of course not, but many creatures are not their literal selves in the movie.

Grizzly Enthusiast

Open your eyes Pckts. Neither Rudyard Kipling, nor Walt Disney, nor Jon Favreau stated the species of Baloo. Unless of course, a "sleepy brown bear" was a reference to his species. Look at these pictures and then try to convince us that Baloo is a small, black, shaggy bear who sucks up ants and termites. I suspect that you are either in dire need of an optometrist or you are simply very unbear-savy. 

Grizzly Enthusiast

In post #59 you see a Himalayan black bear, a Himalayan brown bear, and Baloo. Here is a sloth bear. Now, let's be honest. Which one looks like he could be Baloo's sibling?