There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
THE PUMA - CAT OF ONE COLOUR (Puma concolor)

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2017, 03:10 AM by epaiva )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Measurements of Pumas of San Andres Mountains, New Mexico, USA
male masses ranged from 45,4 to 71,7 kg and females masses from 24,5 to 40 kg. Total lengths for males from 200 to 227 cms, and females ranged from 172 to 205 cms. Height at the shoulders for males from 54 to 67,5 cm, and for females from 43 to 61 cm. Book Desert Puma Evolutionary Ecology and Conservation of an Enduring Carnivore.
5 users Like epaiva's post

Mexico CrysOmega Offline

Pig screams for 2 hours and fights a cougar and next morning we go out and look and its there dead and guts and blood everywhere.

3 users Like CrysOmega's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 09:25 AM by epaiva )

Pumas of Pantanal Region, Brazil
Measurements of skulls and weights taken from the Book Jaguar Hunting in the Mato Grosso and Bolivia by Tony de Almeida

6 users Like epaiva's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Good info @epaiva, and we can see that the skull and weight are generally positively correlated.
3 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-25-2017, 02:30 PM by Ngala )

Photo and information credits: Alex Kirichko
Patrolling.
4,5 years old female mountain lion known as Hermanita.
Many thanks to our friend and the best puma man Roberto Donoso Berrios for leading us in that trip.
Chile, Torres Del Paine National Park. July 2017.

3 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: Jayanth Sharma
"A stare that I can't forget, a cat that will remain etched in my memory for ages! #ToeholdPhotoTravel #patagonia #puma #chile"

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-10-2017, 08:34 PM by epaiva )

credit to Aida Bustamante with Pumas caught with camera trap in Venezuela courtesy of Magazine explora_oficial

5 users Like epaiva's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: Alex Kirichko
Curiosity.
Chile, Torres Del Paine. July 2017.

5 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

From Wilderness Forever Foundation:
"Torres Del Paine week: An evening drink. Tracking any big cat is exciting. Doing it on foot through difficult terrain and rough weather is exhilarating. I found this young male after 3 days of searching. He walked past me, less than 2 meters away, without giving me a second look. After quenching his thirst he disappeared into the sunset."

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

A 400-pound mountain lion, which had killed two goats, was shot this morning..
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=...1225.2.139

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Come on now, you should know better than that
2 users Like Richardrli's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-11-2017, 09:23 AM by peter )

(11-10-2017, 11:54 AM)paul cooper Wrote: A 400-pound mountain lion, which had killed two goats, was shot this morning..
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=LAH19201225.2.139

Did I already tell you about a remarkable newspaper report from 1906? No? Here it is. A woman, who happened to be my grandmother, said she saw a sixteen feet Amur tiger in a forest in Amsterdam in autumn 1906. An ambitious journalist heard her talking in a local pub and saw an opportunity to move up. The story was printed.  

How to act when you read a report like that?   

One is you do a check. Here's the result. 

Amsterdam has no forests. Not back then and not today. The reason it's a city. Two is a no-forest in Amsterdam doesn't have Amur tigers. They are only seen in the Russian Far East. Three is Amur tigers don't get to 16 feet.  

All in all, I'd say the report was inaccurate. My guess is a mistake was made. No problem for a grandmother, but the reporter had some explaining to do. I heard he later turned out to be a great butcher.    

I don't mind a joke, but we decided against a joke section for now. When we change our mind, I'll give you a call. 

Adult male pumas of large subspecies average just over 7 feet in total length in a straight line. A large male can get to almost 8 feet and 200 pounds empty, but that would be exceptional.

This forum is about the natural world, Paul Cooper. We want it to be a good one, as wild creatures struggle everywhere. It would most certainly help when members post good information. Many thanks on behalf of all.
6 users Like peter's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-18-2017, 02:16 PM by Ngala )

Photo and information credits: Sebastian Kennerknecht Photography
"Now let me introduce you to Hermanita (little sister) who is quite the star in Torres del Paine National Park. She allowed us to get very close to her, even getting to walk alongside her while she hunted guanacos. Though this image isn't beyond exciting, it reminds me of the time I got to walk alongside a wild puma. Truly an unforgettable moment.

More pictures of Hermanita, including the best of the trip, to come shortly!

Photographed during Puma Quest workshop with the talented Roy Toft. He is going back next year. If you want to have the best opportunities to photograph pumas and laugh a lot along the way, you better get in touch with Roy soon before the workshop fills up."

4 users Like Ngala's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-13-2018, 02:14 AM by epaiva )

Pumas in the Venezuelan Llanos
credits to Roger Manrique and  Ernesto O. Boede

4 users Like epaiva's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2018, 01:39 AM by epaiva )

Table with measurements and weights of adult Pumas from different locations, taken from the book Wild Cats of the World (Mel Sunquist and Fiona Sunquist)

3 users Like epaiva's post