There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)- Data, Pictures & Videos

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 12:50 AM by Sanju )

@smedz  not only males form packs called coalitions. A female cheetah with 8 near adult cubs (max) totaling 9 cheetahs is to be reckoned with a mega destructive force in the natural world greater than dhole clan (due to bigger size of 9 cheetahs) or tiger max coalition can be upto 5-6 when mother and cubs are considered totally (coz of more number of cheetahs at max possibility). The number of cubs born can vary from one to eight, though the common number is three to five. (Caro, T. M. (1994). Cheetahs of the Serengeti Plains : Group Living in an Asocial Species)

For that super natural force (though temporary i.e.., until cubs go on their won), adult gaur will be too easy to hunt when they do it coordinately and it'll be a nice snack coz female cheetah will look for big game to sustain its 8 cubs so they do it without hesitation. Otherwise, fastest land mammal always look for "fast food".
2 users Like Sanju's post

smedz Offline

(05-02-2019, 12:47 AM)Sanju Wrote: @smedz  not only males form packs called coalitions. A female cheetah with 8 near adult cubs (max) totaling 9 cheetahs is to be reckoned with a mega destructive force in the natural world greater than dhole clan (due to bigger size of 9 cheetahs) or tiger max coalition can be upto 5-6 when mother and cubs are considered totally (coz of more number of cheetahs at max possibility). The number of cubs born can vary from one to eight, though the common number is three to five. (Caro, T. M. (1994). Cheetahs of the Serengeti Plains : Group Living in an Asocial Species)

For that super natural force (though temporary i.e.., until cubs go on their won), adult gaur will be too easy to hunt when they do it coordinately and it'll be a nice snack coz female cheetah will look for big game to sustain its 8 cubs so they do it without hesitation. Otherwise, fastest land mammal always look for "fast food".

Wait, a group of cheetahs can take down a gaur or buffalo? Sounds like they're more deadly than I thought. I hope someone will be able to catch a moment like that on film. Actually, I'll make an Indian cheetah wish list. 

1. To see a cheetah group hunt a gaur 
2. See the cheetahs interact with tigers, leopards, dholes, hyenas, and wolves. 
3. See a coalition try to take a Sambar 
4. To see them do well in India over all.
2 users Like smedz's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 02:16 AM by Sanju )

(05-02-2019, 01:26 AM)smedz Wrote: Wait, a group of cheetahs can take down a gaur or buffalo?
No. I mean in a hypothetical scenerio, as a cheetah can give birth to 8 cubs at one time (at max potential) but it's ridiculously rare though.

In that case, if no cub lost to any competitive predation and all survive to subadult hood and to near adult stage shortly before independence and temporarily live together before dispersing.

Then that massive group of 9 carnivores in a particular certainly need lot of meat daily to make a living, hence look for largest game around i.e.., gaur. In that way, if all 9 cheetahs can coordinately like they do always, then gaur will be a good snack (they must look for solo ones though coz herd could be fatal to anyone).

Sadly, buffalo only occur in maharashtra, chattisgarh of the deccan peninsular plateau (chota nagpur plateau too).

(05-02-2019, 01:26 AM)smedz Wrote: I hope someone will be able to catch a moment like that on film. Actually, I'll make an Indian cheetah wish list. 

4. To see them do well in India over all. Wow
wow. sounds good to me.

(05-02-2019, 01:26 AM)smedz Wrote: 3. See a coalition try to take a Sambar 
But this doesn't need and neither has any specialty. Solo cheetahs hunt bigger (on avg), tougher, herd-living and dangerous wildebeest (zebra seldom) when compared to sambar (not as dangerous as wildebeest, mostly solo, smaller on avg) and nilgai (same as sambar and even easier due to even smaller size in-contrast to sambar).

So, a solo cheetah can hunt a sambar or nilgai hands down. With a hunting success rate of 58 % (only 2nd highest in felids Fantastic ) ... !!! Except leopards, dhole, wolf, The super carnivore tiger population is only two (introduced radha - kishan pair) in the park. So, cheetahs can live happier than in Africa which they are always subject to super intense fucking kleptoparasitism from all sorts of carnivores (sometimes even to a vulture, poor thing).

BUT, they may mostly look for "fast food" and contender to 2nd and 3rd fastest land mammal (100 kmph+) on earth, the correct match for the speed king i.e.., "THE BLACKBUCK".... Wow of Nauradehi...

*This image is copyright of its original author

I'm flying ...

yum.. I love fast food.

Such a cutie ... Wow
1 user Likes Sanju's post

smedz Offline

(05-02-2019, 02:07 AM)Sanju Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 01:26 AM)smedz Wrote: Wait, a group of cheetahs can take down a gaur or buffalo?
No. I mean in a hypothetical scenerio, as a cheetah can give birth to 8 cubs at one time (at max potential) but it's ridiculously rare though.

In that case, if no cub lost to any competitive predation and all survive to subadult hood and to near adult stage shortly before independence and temporarily live together before dispersing.

Then that massive group of 9 carnivores in a particular certainly need lot of meat daily to make a living, hence look for largest game around i.e.., gaur. In that way, if all 9 cheetahs can coordinately like they do always, then gaur will be a good snack (they must look for solo ones though coz herd could be fatal to anyone).

Sadly, buffalo only occur in maharashtra, chattisgarh of the deccan peninsular plateau (chota nagpur plateau too).

(05-02-2019, 01:26 AM)smedz Wrote: I hope someone will be able to catch a moment like that on film. Actually, I'll make an Indian cheetah wish list. 

4. To see them do well in India over all. Wow
wow. sounds good to me.

(05-02-2019, 01:26 AM)smedz Wrote: 3. See a coalition try to take a Sambar 
But this doesn't need and neither has any specialty. Solo cheetahs hunt bigger (on avg), tougher, herd-living and dangerous wildebeest (zebra seldom) when compared to sambar (not as dangerous as wildebeest, mostly solo, smaller on avg) and nilgai (same as sambar and even easier due to even smaller size in-contrast to sambar).

So, a solo cheetah can hunt a sambar or nilgai hands down. With a hunting success rate of 58 % (only 2nd highest in felids Fantastic ) ... !!! Except leopards, dhole, wolf, The super carnivore tiger population is only two (introduced radha - kishan pair) in the park. So, cheetahs can live happier than in Africa which they are always subject to super intense fucking kleptoparasitism from all sorts of carnivores (sometimes even to a vulture, poor thing).

BUT, they may mostly look for "fast food" and contender to 2nd and 3rd fastest land mammal (100 kmph+) on earth, the correct match for the speed king i.e.., "THE BLACKBUCK".... Wow of Nauradehi...

I'm flying ...

yum.. I love fast food.

Such a cutie ... Wow

Thanks for clearing that up, and wow the blackbuck is an excellent jumper! that along with the super speed, will be a good defense against the cheetahs. Nice to hear the competition won't be as intense as in Africa, they could really use a break.
1 user Likes smedz's post

Sanju Offline

(05-02-2019, 02:25 AM)smedz Wrote: blackbuck is an excellent jumper! that along with the super speed, will be a good defense against the cheetahs.
still speed king won't leave them. Wink

#Swag
1 user Likes Sanju's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 07:38 PM by Sanju )

Big Game Hunters- The musketeers succeed in hunting a coke's hartebeest (~200 kg) on the plains of the Masaai Mara.

Sanju Offline

wildebeest killed.

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Alain Dragesco joffe

Another saharan cheetah in termit massif Niger

These cheetahs look quite strange but in a good way.
3 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

https://thediplomat.com/2017/07/are-cheetahs-back-in-turkmenistan/

Interesting article from 2017
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(05-12-2019, 04:31 PM)Lycaon Wrote: https://thediplomat.com/2017/07/are-cheetahs-back-in-turkmenistan/

Interesting article from 2017

Even the National Geographic noted this: https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2017...den-horse/

"I am looking at these two sketches in my notebook, that a Turkmen horse breeder called Murat is drawing infront of me: one is of a large cat with big spots and short legs, the other one is of a sleek cat with a long tale. One is a leopard. I look at the other sketch and for a minute I am thinking he is drawing an Akhal Teke, the descendant of the ancient Turkmen horse, the pride and “wings of the hearts” of the Turkmen people, known as the “fusion of snake, cheetah and eagle”. He presses his finger against it and says “ghepard”, which means cheetah in Russian, and adds “I saw it one late afternoon not far from Kopet Dag mountains, west of them…two years ago”."
1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@BorneanTiger 

Let's hope this eventually gets seriously investigated .
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Another hecki in pendjari. Their white and faded look is really pretty.

4 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

Recent photo of a venaticus in Khar turan national park. 

Credits: A. radman

5 users Like Lycaon's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

The symbol of pendjari national park . Acinonyx jubatus hecki

Credits:Oebenin

4 users Like Lycaon's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline