There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Large male Lions (videos only)

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Again taking inspiration from tiger threads, which I enjoy very much so let's do this for the great Lions of Africa and Gir aswell! 
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM by Pantherinae )

The massive Junior/ tsaro male lion from Duba Plains in The Okavango Delta. 
Was maybe the largest lion in Africa. Here he teatches his son a lesson. R.I.P
4 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2014, 09:06 AM by Pantherinae )

One of my all time favorite Lions is the evil himself, Mr.T aka SaTan. by some said to be responsible of over a 100 lion death's alongside his notorious brothers in The Mapogo coallition. Here is a clip when he is defending his own cub against some angry lionesses. RIP

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Impressive unkown male lion in South Africa. Looks like a fine specimen and a matching attitude. Stands his grown quite impressive! 
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Sri Lanka Apollo Away
Bigcat Enthusiast

This is a video of two male lions from Gir fighting.
Interestingly what I noticed was these lions showed similar behaviours like tigers from India. Intially they started fighting in two legs and then they started walking side by side just like tigers do.

Good looking males from Gir

5 users Like Apollo's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

In fact @Apollo I noticed that yesterday day aswell when me and my brother was watching this! Haha 

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Stunnig old male from The crater! I just love the Looks of crater lions! They are scarry as hell! 
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I remember the lion special where a coalition of 4 young intruders prey in the boundries of a dominant fully maned male, before finally attacking, he circled them roaring for a few minutes, two lost their nerve, two remained, only one got into a brief scurmish before being defeated and retreating. I think when a male is by himself, he is obviously going to be less inclined to fight hard unless the intruder gives him no other choice. If he is part of a coalition, he is probably more likely to try and bully since he has others to rely on.

There is no evidence to back this, just an opinion. But examples can be used to contridict this for both lions and tigers, so like usual it probably comes down to one thing....
The individual personality of that particular cat.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

This male is reffered to as The rhino killer from Phinda reserve in South Africa. He is estimated to be 250 kg! well we can only speculate, but I think everyone would agree when I'm saying he Looks like a solid Cat! 
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Nice looking boy^^
Not sure about the "rhino killer" part though. Maybe a youngster or smaller female... who knows
[img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I agree @Pckts I think solatary male Lions will sircle around intruders just to show what he's about! Trying his best to intimidate I've heard male Lions challeging several males at once, but ofcourse he has to do something he has to use something to intimidate The males because one against three is suicide no matter how easy You could have handle one! 

maybe wagdoh does the same thing? Showing the others males how big he is that must be intimidating! And mybe that's why he has sucseded so long even tho he's starting to age he still is a big solid tiger, who can intimidate young challengers!

Bigcat Enthusiast

Kruger Male dominates kill

Two younger males at Kruger

6 male lions at Crocidile bridge in Kruger

3 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Yeah there is some witnesed cases i have read where this lion has killed Young rhinos with his pride! A lone lion does not stand a chance against an adult Rhino! Funny enough that clip You posted, that male lion is The "rhino killer" himself.. These Lions have just killed young white not black rhinos! 
Here he tries on a young rhino but The rhino escaped! 

Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-19-2014, 04:35 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: I agree @Pckts I think solatary male Lions will sircle around intruders just to show what he's about! Trying his best to intimidate I've heard male Lions challeging several males at once, but ofcourse he has to do something he has to use something to intimidate The males because one against three is suicide no matter how easy You could have handle one! 

maybe wagdoh does the same thing? Showing the others males how big he is that must be intimidating! And mybe that's why he has sucseded so long even tho he's starting to age he still is a big solid tiger, who can intimidate young challengers!

I would think that any wild animal prefers to intimadate rather than fight. I assume that reputations get around in the wild, I bet that all cats who dare challenge waghdoh know who he is, what hes about. Unless they come from extremely far away, and would not know of his opposing force until they see him.
The same is for Lions I am sure, a large coalition is going to spread across the plains, any youngsters who are most likely related to the coalition will not dare challenge until they know they are capable. I look at territory like war fare, since its proven that lions can count, and even established prides would retreat when audible sounds of larger prides roars were played for them. I think animals are the original war lords, searching for territory, hording women, establishing their blood line.

2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2014, 04:54 AM by Pckts )

Man, rhinos are tough cookies. Their more formidable than a elephant for a big cat, IMO. Lower to the ground, tougher skin, harder to get down. Not that a Rhino can stand an chance against a elephant, I just think they may be built more efficiently to defend themselves against a big cat.

1 user Likes Pckts's post