There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Norway Jubatus Offline

Brown Hyena vs 3 Cheetahs

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Cheethas charged the hyena repeatitly, but with no success, The whole thing ended up with the brown hyena biting of a big chunk of its neck and head, and ran of with it, never to return to the kill. 

Here is a link for the whole sequence: 
http://www.grantmarcus.com/?p=1467

5 users Like Jubatus's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

amazing scene!
tfs

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Large male Leopard taking control of the situation by fending off hyenas from his kill. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

1 user Likes Roflcopters's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

I've actually read some place that hyenas in Zambia will avergae at 70 kg, max there could be very large! 

well I do not need to discuss neither does I have the time, as you and I won't back down! I have my view on the case and I relay on my opinion. I think you're undreestimating the hyenas.

well the cougar vs wolf clip is right here, no way that would have hapend to a hyena, absoulutly no way! 

4 users Like Jubatus's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

male lion lipstick chasing off a hyena clan! 

3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(02-16-2015, 12:27 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: male lion lipstick chasing off a hyena clan! 

Amazing what a single Lion can do against 20+ hyenas and two angry lionesses.
This is the Airstrip male leopard. He is small for a male leopard(60-65 kg) but he's agressive and holds to his meal against a hyena.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@"Majingilane" @Pantherinae : Very impressive to see how dissuasive a black maned lion could be. We could believe it is a weighing one ton lion, the twenty or so hyenas doing nothing but running away as for a while the lionesses and the subadult males were in serious trouble.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

@Spalea yes and it's so different from the treatment they give lionesses and even sub-adult males. The hyenas mock them constantly, and laugh, and start to gang up until they attack. And it comes to a point where lionesses know it's not safe anymore.
But when the male comes...it makes me remember of this:
Ntwadumela - "He who greets with fire"

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@"Majingilane" : quite agree with you. Hyenas, even in big coalitions never compete against a black maned lion. And as concerns Ntwadumela, Dereck and Beverly Joubert related in their book "Hunting with the Moon" that this male lion was rather modest-sized , - according to the male lions standards -, and led the other male, Mandewu, the choice of the females. However, as concerns other predators and big preys (there is a famous photo where we can see it in front of a big elephant) it was merciless and very brave.
3 users Like Spalea's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

The mystic of the male lion..What is it about this maned cat that is so amazing? I mean, I love all felines, my favorite is the male leopard but there is something about the male lion that is so appealing.
I read this once about Makhulu, the oldest and dominant of the Mapogo Coalition. 

"One story about this older Mapogo male that sticks out in our minds is when Londolozi reported a sighting of two hyena clans on a buffalo carcass. A group of approximately 25 adult elephants standing shoulder to shoulder with little ones behind them were staring the hyenas down. A noise was heard behind the vehicle and when the spotlight was shown in that direction an “enormous” male lion burst into their sight roaring louder than any roar they had ever heard before, roaring his arrival as thirty hyenas screamed in horror and scattered in all directions. The leader of the six had arrived, and this land was his. His roars came from the base of his gut, louder than any roar I’d ever heard. He stared down the wall of elephants which after about 5 minutes of standing their ground finally gave way to the lone male and moved off."

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

The late Emsagwen male vs hyena: Emsagwen male leopard – 16 June 2009

He was found again strolling around Piccadilly - a place he seems to have taken for his own.This male leopard was looking lean, and as dusk approached he looked to hunt. With all the impala herds congregating in the open area around Piccadilly Pans, the leopard moved east away, hoping for some stragglers late in arriving. Coming upon a herd of zebra, he took interest in one of the youngsters and started stalking that way. Rangers watched in amazement as the leopard made a serious attempt at the young zebra, and when he rushed in they followed up - not sure what to expect. Not in their wildest dreams would they ever expect to turn the corner and find the Emsagwen male strangling the zebra foal - but this was indeed the scene as they came around the bushes. Last week, the Styx lioness had killed a zebra foal which made this sighting all the more unbelievable …. the Emsagwen male is only two thirds her size, but was in the process of killing exactly the same sized prey.Keeping a tight hold on its windpipe, the male cat made sure the zebra was dead before
releasing it to rest and recover from his amazing feat of strength. He then began to feed on the foal, starting (of course) from the rear before moving to the internal organs. A hyaena soon pitched up on the scent, and looking for an easy meal, expected the leopard to simply back off. The Emsagwen male had a different idea, and as the hyaena tried to make off with the zebra, the leopard took hold on the other end and started dragging it in the opposite direction. With the tug of war getting neither animal a meal, they confronted each other over the carcass - teeth bared, each waited for the other to make the first move. The leopard made
the first and decisive move when he vaulted over the carcass and belted the hyaena across the face with a hefty front left paw. The hyaena, stunned by the blow and realising there was no easy meal here, backed off and left the leopard to feed in peace.
Credits to Mala Mala Game Reserve

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 12:21 AM by sanjay )

Different cat species facing off.

And if anyone has anything on tiger and snow leopard conflict it would be appreciated, me and a few others tried a few months ago but couldn't find anything.

1 user Likes Sully's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Tough leopard
5 users Like Sully's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Great sighting, love the pic.

Amazing photo! A very rare, adrenaline-packed showdown between two spotted predators: a male cheetah and a female leopard. The leopard came to steal the cheetah's fresh kill. No one expected the cheetah to fight for it, as he is lower on the predator hierarchy, but he was very hungry, and it had been a couple of days since his last meal. Ultimately, the leopard prevailed. 

The photo was taken in Botswana by Jamie Hopf for National Geographic.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post