There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - B - THE LION (Panthera leo)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2018, 11:11 AM by peter )

(06-27-2018, 08:35 AM)johnny rex Wrote:
Quote:Thanks for the correction, Johnny. I will correct the error and post the table when I have time.

As to the question on the way the lions were measured. As far as I know, all lions were measured 'over curves'. This method has been adopted by nearly all field biologists, so it seems. The problem is that this method can be applied in different ways.

Anyhow. Lions in that part of Africa are large animals. One of the males was 11 feet in total length measured 'over curves'. Desert females in particular seem to be longer than anywhere else.

Most of the information used for the table was posted by the Lioness. If you have questions, you could contact her. At the moment, she most probably has no time (her mother was diagnosed with cancer).

My advice is to go over the info yourself. Post the results in the thread 'On the Edge of Extinction - part B - The Lion (Panthera leo)'. I'll ask our mods to move your post and my reply to that thread as well.

I found their official page on Facebook, I already send several PMs to them about the method of their measurement and now waiting for further responses. If the lions are measured along body contour/over the curves, do they measure their head from the back of their ears to their upper lips, @peter

Below is a table from the original source.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Yeah I think this comment should be transferred to Lion threads section. Thank you.

Ask them everything you need to know, Johnny.  

The method used today ('over curves') can be applied in different ways. In Royal Chitwan (Nepal), according to Sunquist, the measurement taken in this way almost compares to a measurement taken in a straight line ('between pegs'), but Miquelle, apparently using the same method in Russia, said the tape was pressed to the body at all points. I'm still not quite sure about Ullas Karanth, but Sunquist didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the measurement department when he was in Nagarahole. 

Ullas Karanth, regarding measurements taken by hunters a century ago, said a curve measurement is more reliable than a straight line measurement. I still didn't get to a conclusion, but my English seems to be wanting and I'm not a biologist.

I did conclude that the method used in Russia today more or less compares to the method used in northern India a century ago. Male tigers captured in Russia today roughly compare to male tigers shot in northern India a century ago for total length. Chitwan tigers could be a bit longer. I'm not sure about tigers in northern India today, but my guess is they could compare to Chitwan tigers for total length. Remember that only few tigers were measured in Nagarahole, Chitwan and Primorye. The averages of a century ago are more reliable,       

My guess is that lions in southwestern Africa top the list for Africa (total length), but I'm not quite sure about the way the method is applied. Your job is to find out a bit more. It's about the details. Good luck.
1 user Likes peter's post

Messages In This Thread
Panthera leo in Europe - brotherbear - 04-28-2017, 07:46 PM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - Polar - 04-28-2017, 10:24 PM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - GrizzlyClaws - 04-29-2017, 01:43 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - brotherbear - 04-29-2017, 03:01 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - GrizzlyClaws - 04-29-2017, 03:17 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - GrizzlyClaws - 04-29-2017, 03:29 AM
RE: Panthera leo in Europe? - brotherbear - 05-20-2017, 04:15 PM
RE: Vintage - Ngala - 01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Lion Population Numbers - jordi6927 - 04-09-2018, 03:45 PM
RE: Lion Population Numbers - Rishi - 04-09-2018, 05:13 PM
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - peter - 06-27-2018, 09:57 AM