There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interspecific conflicts, no canids of felids

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 04:03 AM by Shadow )

Here is also dogs and midget anteater interaction. I wonder if these dogs had met midget anteaters before, that dog on the left made his moves fast and accurately while cautious same time. Poor anteater, I hope that it managed to flee in some way and not injured too badly :/ But dogs in that state of mind can be difficult to handle even if owner there. I didn´t see any other video of this same incident so difficult to say if the little one survived or not, but that didn´t look good :/

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 04:37 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(11-15-2020, 04:02 AM)Shadow Wrote: Here is also dogs and midget anteater interaction. I wonder if these dogs had met midget anteaters before, that dog on the left made his moves fast and accurately while cautious same time. Poor anteater, I hope that it managed to flee in some way and not injured too badly :/ But dogs in that state of mind can be difficult to handle even if owner there. I didn´t see any other video of this same incident so difficult to say if the little one survived or not, but that didn´t look good :/

Unfortunatelly this happens many times as Midget Anteaters are very critically endangered species.

Midget anteaters try to do their best to fight off these large harassers led by humans and by their harassing vicious natures, despite not only being outnumbered but also outsized Midget anteaters still got to keep their balance standing as an way to defend itself and I really admire them for that (and by the mastery of their Jiu-Jitsu moves hehe), when cornered they will fight whatever it takes, but when its most powerful weapon goes in action, it can be painful.

In this case here there was 3 dogs led by humans harrasing one poor midget anteater and one of them payed the price and as usually happens the human had to step in to rescue the canid.

Hopefully that midget anteater managed to escape from being killed eventually but one thing I gotta say is that dog may have learned a lesson.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2020, 04:27 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 04:02 AM)Shadow Wrote: Here is also dogs and midget anteater interaction. I wonder if these dogs had met midget anteaters before, that dog on the left made his moves fast and accurately while cautious same time. Poor anteater, I hope that it managed to flee in some way and not injured too badly :/ But dogs in that state of mind can be difficult to handle even if owner there. I didn´t see any other video of this same incident so difficult to say if the little one survived or not, but that didn´t look good :/

Unfortunatelly this happens many times as Midget Anteaters are very critically endangered species.

Midget anteaters try to do their best to fight off these large harassers led by humans and by their harassing vicious natures, despite not only being outnumbered but also outsized Midget anteaters still got to keep their balance standing as an way to defend itself and I really admire them for that (and by the mastery of their Jiu-Jitsu moves hehe), when cornered they will fight whatever it takes, but when its most powerful weapon goes in action, it can be painful.

In this case here there was 3 dogs led by humans harrasing one poor midget anteater and one of them payed the price and as usually happens the human had to step in to rescue the canid.

Hopefully that midget anteater managed to escape from being killed eventually but one thing I gotta say is that dog may have learned a lesson.

Yeah, I had seen that video before and that dog wasn´t too brave (in that case very good that it wasn´t). Some dogs make that puppy scream even if no pain but just panicking when something odd happens. I had once a dog which screamed like that almost for no reason, she was one funny nutcase :) I think, that she did many times on purpose and pretended to be scared. This dog on video for sure got scared, pain or not involved.

Anyway it´s really sad if people do this kind of things on purpose, some big dogs can kill or injure so little animal with one bite after all and I don´t think that midget anteaters really bother anyone while doing what they do. They are fascinating animals and their fighting style is unique.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

This was one nice in that way, that seems to happen by accident and both animals seem to be quite ok after some fight. I´m sure that you´ve seen this before, but here is some speed and action. And that anteater looks quite funny at 0:49... it´s really like some fighter waiting for opponent :)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

if they were capable of biting those dogs would have really got it

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 05:33 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(11-15-2020, 04:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Yeah, I had seen that video before and that dog wasn´t too brave (in that case very good that it wasn´t). Some dogs make that puppy scream even if no pain but just panicking when something odd happens. I had once a dog which screamed like that almost for no reason, she was one funny nutcase :) I think, that she did many times on purpose and pretended to be scared. This dog on video for sure got scared, pain or not involved.

Anyway it´s really sad if people do this kind of things on purpose, some big dogs can kill or injure so little animal with one bite after all and I don´t think that midget anteaters really bother anyone while doing what they do. They are fascinating animals and their fighting style is unique.

Indeed, Its crazy these people's actions of such a wickedness killing many of these creatures in a such coward way.

That dog had a big reason to scream with alot of pain involved haha like as I mentioned When its most powerful weapon goes into action it can be painful, I meant their claws.

its curved and makes than able to dig out hard mounds, helps them climbing trees and most importantly its a self-defensive weapon, that's why you'll see them spreading their arms to fight off large oponents.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Obviously its not as long nor as thick as their much larger Giant Anteaters cousins but they still do damages and once the dogs notices them they'll be more cautions on their attackings hence why that big dog you mentioned was pretty cautious with its approach and when you hear the dogs scream is because of the Midget Anteater's Claws.

About your following post that position at 49 secs is because when feeling threatened it will stand up like that to fight off whatever presence is making it uncomfortable but they will eventually flee.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 07:00 AM by Shadow )

(11-15-2020, 05:31 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

Indeed, Its crazy these people's actions of such a wickedness killing many of these creatures in a such coward way.

That dog had a big reason to scream with alot of pain involved haha like as I mentioned When its most powerful weapon goes into action it can be painful, I meant their claws.

its curved and makes than able to dig out hard mounds, helps them climbing trees and most importantly its a self-defensive weapon, that's why you'll see them spreading their arms to fight off large oponents.

Obviously its not as long nor as thick as their much larger Giant Anteaters cousins but they still do damages and once the dogs notices them they'll be more cautions on their attackings hence why that big dog you mentioned was pretty cautious with its approach and when you hear the dogs scream is because of the Midget Anteater's Claws.

About your following post that position at 49 secs is because when feeling threatened it will stand up like that to fight off whatever presence is making it uncomfortable but they will eventually flee.

Yes they have nice claws and I knew it. If they can penetrate the skin it´s painful and it could be the reason why that dog screamed, but it could scream also because scared of surprising situation. Often when fighting pain isn´t there yet, but dogs can be noisy when surprised. That dog on the road with anteater was also interesting, when the guy with camera drove closer that dog didn´t seem to be in pain or so, but when that guy used horn suddenly that dog started  to jump around to get rid of that anteater. Also this dog Billy looked to be just fine in longer video of that incident with anteater. It didn´t seem to be in pain or any big wounds.

Sloth bears have same kind of claws but they also use those differently, not just grabbing and then staying there. It would be interesting to see if there are photos of injuries caused by anteaters. It would be interesting to see a bit better how efficient their claws really are in fight with that style.

What comes to that situation which I said to be funny it was just about that pose. Of course it was looking a way to flee all the time. I don´t write so much about the most obvious animal behaviors, because unusual things are the ones more interesting. Small animals always try to flee from bigger ones and naturally presence of attacking dog and human make small animal like midget anteater tolook for a way out of there. It has no desire to fight. In that way it´s good to talk about these things of course, that some people have odd ideas how some small animals are fearless and who knows what. Like when talking about wolverines and honey badgers.

Of course it´s kind of funny to see how they can act, but it´s not good if some people really think that some small animal "enjoy" when having to face bigger predators, while in reality they are seeking a way to flee. No honey badger enjoy meeting a lion or lions and no wolverine for sure isn´t happy when facing wolves or bears, even though their bluff works sometimes. I dislike especially how wolverines have been sometimes even demonized to be some nutcases seeking fights and killing all they meet. Good excuse for reindeer owners to shoot them when seeing if and when people believe that they are some "mass murderers". In that way it´s of course good to talk about these things and what is reality. For instance wolverines are interesting, smart and beautiful little predators and scavengers, but nothing to be afraid of. If meeting one in the woods it won´t attack humans like some craziest people think :)

A little bit off the topic, but there are really so many crazy stories which some people actually believe while based on nothing real.

Jaguar Enthusiast

(11-15-2020, 06:53 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Yes they have nice claws and I knew it. If they can penetrate the skin it´s painful and it could be the reason why that dog screamed, but it could scream also because scared of surprising situation. Often when fighting pain isn´t there yet, but dogs can be noisy when surprised. That dog on the road with anteater was also interesting, when the guy with camera drove closer that dog didn´t seem to be in pain or so, but when that guy used horn suddenly that dog started  to jump around to get rid of that anteater. Also this dog Billy looked to be just fine in longer video of that incident with anteater. It didn´t seem to be in pain or any big wounds.

Sloth bears have same kind of claws but they also use those differently, not just grabbing and then staying there. It would be interesting to see if there are photos of injuries caused by anteaters. It would be interesting to see a bit better how efficient their claws really are in fight with that style.

What comes to that situation which I said to be funny it was just about that pose. Of course it was looking a way to flee all the time. I don´t write so much about the most obvious animal behaviors, because unusual things are the ones more interesting. Small animals always try to flee from bigger ones and naturally presence of attacking dog and human make small animal like midget anteater tolook for a way out of there. It has no desire to fight. In that way it´s good to talk about these things of course, that some people have odd ideas how some small animals are fearless and who knows what. Like when talking about wolverines and honey badgers.

Of course it´s kind of funny to see how they can act, but it´s not good if some people really think that some small animal "enjoy" when having to face bigger predators, while in reality they are seeking a way to flee. No honey badger enjoy meeting a lion or lions and no wolverine for sure isn´t happy when facing wolves or bears, even though their bluff works sometimes. I dislike especially how wolverines have been sometimes even demonized to be some nutcases seeking fights and killing all they meet. Good excuse for reindeer owners to shoot them when seeing if and when people believe that they are some "mass murderers". In that way it´s of course good to talk about these things and what is reality. For instance wolverines are interesting, smart and beautiful little predators and scavengers, but nothing to be afraid of. If meeting one in the woods it won´t attack humans like some craziest people think :)

A little bit off the topic, but there are really so many crazy stories which some people actually believe while based on nothing real.

Yeah the midget anteater doesn't want that dealing with larger opponents situation for sure.

The dog on the road was already jumping around trying to get rid of the midget anteater's Jiu-jitsu's hug before the guy approached, it was really uncomfortable with the claws being pressured into its nostril.

The billy dog was fine but at the end he wasn't as vicious as he was in the beginning of the video as the midget anteater hugs hardly specially at 28 secs.

Main point here isn't finding an way to put midget anteater above its much bigger harassers or taking them to a whole other level but to admire its defensive capabilities, obviously it wants to flee from its large opponents but when fighting back defending its life is what really gets me.

About the efficiency of their claws as you noticed Midget Anteaters can do damages but when it comes to the Giant Anteater its the very deadly ones as there are quite some cases of them defensively killing people in Brazil, killing pit-bull and Peter Crawshaw told me he already heard of cases of jaguars getting seriously injured in clashes with Giant Anteaters so their claws ain't no joke and are really efficent, no wonder jaguars are pretty careful dealing with them.

Their claws are designed to demolish rock hard mounds that can withstand very heavy weights on top of it without collapsing, in the Brazilian Cerrado you'll find many of those.

And yeah many people make many small animals like some you mentioned look like some freak of the nature fearless beast, They are impressive and got their well deserved prowess but we can't exaggerate by seriously speaking taking them to a whole other level but instead I'd say to admire their defending potential and how they deal with the unwanted situation just the way I admire the Midget Anteaters defensive capabilities.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 02:52 PM by Shadow )

(11-15-2020, 08:01 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

Yeah the midget anteater doesn't want that dealing with larger opponents situation for sure.

The dog on the road was already jumping around trying to get rid of the midget anteater's Jiu-jitsu's hug before the guy approached, it was really uncomfortable with the claws being pressured into its nostril.

The billy dog was fine but at the end he wasn't as vicious as he was in the beginning of the video as the midget anteater hugs hardly specially at 28 secs.

Main point here isn't finding an way to put midget anteater above its much bigger harassers or taking them to a whole other level but to admire its defensive capabilities, obviously it wants to flee from its large opponents but when fighting back defending its life is what really gets me.

About the efficiency of their claws as you noticed Midget Anteaters can do damages but when it comes to the Giant Anteater its the very deadly ones as there are quite some cases of them defensively killing people in Brazil, killing pit-bull and Peter Crawshaw told me he already heard of cases of jaguars getting seriously injured in clashes with Giant Anteaters so their claws ain't no joke and are really efficent, no wonder jaguars are pretty careful dealing with them.

Their claws are designed to demolish rock hard mounds that can withstand very heavy weights on top of it without collapsing, in the Brazilian Cerrado you'll find many of those.

And yeah many people make many small animals like some you mentioned look like some freak of the nature fearless beast, They are impressive and got their well deserved prowess but we can't exaggerate by seriously speaking taking them to a whole other level but instead I'd say to admire their defending potential and how they deal with the unwanted situation just the way I admire the Midget Anteaters defensive capabilities.

That dog on the road wasn´t bleeding at all and it was for some time calm so I wonder if it was really in pain or was it for it half play at that time. There should have been some blood if claws digging in to something, it was good quality footage and road was clean what comes to blood. And Billy also looked to be just fine, nothing visible, his fur was black though. But he was shaken by that fight, obviously that anteater surprised it even though it managed to get it off his back. That third dog was clearly panicking.

It would be interesting to know more about injuries from that kind of situations, those claws look nasty but do they use them efficiently is what I wonder. I watched again on bigger screen and yes, those and yes, that anteater did stretch nose area of the dog and for sure some discomfort. Still I´ve seen dogs fighting many times and blood is there if wounds. Surprising that none could be seen. But if they mostly try to hold grip it can save other animal from nasty cuts. If they would make more swipes etc. they would cut open more skin. When slow movements it can cause discomfort but save other animal from some injuries.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 03:32 PM by Shadow )

I found one video showing some injuries for a dog. I wonder if this has been done by giant anteater or smaller one, but nevertheless in this case claws have been used efficiently. If this was done by southern tamandua, then in this case it has done some real damage so to say, not just discomfort. But diffifcult to be sure if this was with giant anteater, so much injuries in different places that it makes to think if it was bigger or smaller "cousin".

Jaguar Enthusiast

(11-15-2020, 02:21 PM)Shadow Wrote:

That dog on the road wasn´t bleeding at all and it was for some time calm so I wonder if it was really in pain or was it for it half play at that time. There should have been some blood if claws digging in to something, it was good quality footage and road was clean what comes to blood. And Billy also looked to be just fine, nothing visible, his fur was black though. But he was shaken by that fight, obviously that anteater surprised it even though it managed to get it off his back. That third dog was clearly panicking.

It would be interesting to know more about injuries from that kind of situations, those claws look nasty but do they use them efficiently is what I wonder. I watched again on bigger screen and yes, those and yes, that anteater did stretch nose area of the dog and for sure some discomfort. Still I´ve seen dogs fighting many times and blood is there if wounds. Surprising that none could be seen. But if they mostly try to hold grip it can save other animal from nasty cuts. If they would make more swipes etc. they would cut open more skin. When slow movements it can cause discomfort but save other animal from some injuries.

Efficency wise I think its not powerful enough to critically injure a dog and also there's a huge size difference. I see these animals when harassed getting really stressed out.

The dog on the road wasn't bleeding but I wouldn't say it was all calm, that was a situation I could picture happening that dog being the aggressor but got overwhelmed by the midget anteater claws.

and I still dare to say the claws was in the dogs nostril not the entire claw but the tip of it was into the sensitive dog's nostril which was enough to make it feel uncomfortable with the addition of the midget anteater putting pressure into it.

the billy dog despite no visual injuries the outcome wasn't what he expected as I would assume he wasn't expecting to face claws, and also the midget anteater needs to get a good grip to sink its claws which the brute fast movements of the dogs makes it hard to happen.

I get what you say on some dogs screaming for no reasons but in the video of the 3 dogs the midget anteaters claws sunk into its skin, as the dog was crazily trying to get rid of it the midget anteater was ''glued'' and attached to the dog and it was clearly by the claws, even the stupid owner had to step in beating the midget anteater to separate them but the claws was still attached into screaming dog's skin.

pet midget anteaters gets their sharp claws tips cut.

about your following post they don't say which Anteater species did it but I bet those nasty injuries in that Malinois Shepherd was the result of a clash between that dog with a Giant Anteater. but if it was the Midget Anteater it would be really impressive as those are some deep gashes.

here's what that video's description says.

''See the result of a fight between the dog Malinois Shepherd breed's and an Anteater. And In addition to these neck injuries, the dog also suffered from holes punctures in the chest and under the "armpits" and if he had not been rescued (10 days in hospital) and fifteen more days of wounds care, he could have certainly died. I think he learned the lesson.''  

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 06:17 PM by Shadow )

(11-15-2020, 05:46 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

Efficency wise I think its not powerful enough to critically injure a dog and also there's a huge size difference. I see these animals when harassed getting really stressed out.

The dog on the road wasn't bleeding but I wouldn't say it was all calm, that was a situation I could picture happening that dog being the aggressor but got overwhelmed by the midget anteater claws.

and I still dare to say the claws was in the dogs nostril not the entire claw but the tip of it was into the sensitive dog's nostril which was enough to make it feel uncomfortable with the addition of the midget anteater putting pressure into it.

the billy dog despite no visual injuries the outcome wasn't what he expected as I would assume he wasn't expecting to face claws, and also the midget anteater needs to get a good grip to sink its claws which the brute fast movements of the dogs makes it hard to happen.

I get what you say on some dogs screaming for no reasons but in the video of the 3 dogs the midget anteaters claws sunk into its skin, as the dog was crazily trying to get rid of it the midget anteater was ''glued'' and attached to the dog and it was clearly by the claws, even the stupid owner had to step in beating the midget anteater to separate them but the claws was still attached into screaming dog's skin.

about your following post they don't say which Anteater species did it but I bet those nasty injuries in that Malinois Shepherd was the result of a clash between that dog with a Giant Anteater. but if it was the Midget Anteater it would be really impressive as those are some deep gashes.

''See the result of a fight between the dog Malinois Shepherd breed's and an Anteater. And In addition to these neck injuries, the dog also suffered from holes punctures in the chest and under the "armpits" and if he had not been rescued (10 days in hospital) and fifteen more days of wounds care, he could have certainly died. I think he learned the lesson.''  

Yes I saw, that it had claws there on nose area. That expression on the dog was somewhat unclear so I´m not sure how much it was hurt or was it more confused/surprised in the first place and I was curious to see how efficiently anteaters use their claws. Just holding grip can be annoying if claws don´t hit the "sweet spots". I found one video in which anteater manages to use his claw like a hook and a man gets a painful lesson and quite nasty wound on his hand.

If they get a good grip and if not penetrating the skin right away, the dog can cause it to do so by moving rapidly when scared/irritated and wants to get rid of anteater. Like it could be in that 3 dogs video. Of course it could dig in claws first. But looks like that there isn´t too much material about injuries caused by them. Their style to defend is interesting and even if they don´t cause big wounds every time they are good in intimidating with their style. it´s risky but when they get the grip, very intimidating for opponents.No-one likes something hostile around head.

That last video which I linked was interesting and I read the translation before I posted it. I think, that it has been giant anteater. Looks like many use the same word, tamandua, no matter if it has been giant anteater or smaller one.

Hopefully conservationists manage to create good ways to protect anteaters, they are fascinating animals and without a doubt have their own important place in wildlife.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 06:28 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(11-15-2020, 06:10 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(11-15-2020, 05:46 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:

Yes I saw, that it had claws there on nose area. That expression on the dog was somewhat unclear so I´m not sure how much it was hurt or was it more confused/surprised in the first place and I was curious to see how efficiently anteaters use their claws. Just holding grip can be annoying if claws don´t hit the "sweet spots". I found one video in which anteater manages to use his claw like a hook and a man gets a painful lesson and quite nasty wound on his hand.

If they get a good grip and if not penetrating the skin right away, the dog can cause it to do so by moving rapidly when scared/irritated and wants to get rid of anteater. Like it could be in that 3 dogs video. Of course it could dig in claws first. But looks like that there isn´t too much material about injuries caused by them. Their style to defend is interesting and even if they don´t cause big wounds every time they are good in intimidating with their style. it´s risky but when they get the grip, very intimidating for opponents.No-one likes something hostile around head.

That last video which I linked was interesting and I read the translation before I posted it. I think, that it has been giant anteater. Looks like many use the same word, tamandua, no matter if it has been giant anteater or smaller one.

Hopefully conservationists manage to create good ways to protect anteaters, they are fascinating animals and without a doubt have their own important place in wildlife.

Indeed, it will all depend on how good the midget anteater will get a grip with its claws and they gotta do it fast but sadly many times they die victim of dogs attacks.

Here in Brazil as you're probably already aware of due to your researches on this species the Giant one is called ''Tamanduá Bandeira'' and the Midget one is called ''Tamanduá Mirim'' but yes many would say only ''Tamanduá'' specially the people that aren´t familiar with the species which I can assure you are alot.

They are incredible species and very unknown, there is Institute that help the species along with Sloths but in order to take them out of the critically endangered situation there's a very long path to go.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

domestic banteng and water buffalo
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 04:04 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Video report on Orcas vs Sperm Whales

Orca's Hunting attempt

''15 miles off the coast of Sri Lanka, a pod of Orcas trap a family of Sperm Whales. The action intensifies as the Orcas slam into the Sperm Whales, working as a unit to try and separate an individual and take down their prey.''