There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intraspecific conflicts, no canids or felids

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 05:56 PM by Shadow )

And same place, July 19th 2019 so in between earlier brawls, in this 68 is the one submitting with no will to challenge. Headline claims, that 480 Otis scares 68, but based on other videos it´s actually bear 856, the most dominant area of this place which cause retreat of 68.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

One more from same summer. In this 856 shows to 68, that he is the boss. I looked a bit and they say, that 856 is dominant bear of that area. Then it looks to be so, that 68 handle 747 and 480 Otis tries to avoid troubles with these other bears. Interesting place when these bears choose best fishing places.

2 users Like Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 11:10 PM by Shadow )

July 9th 2019, Katmai National Park in Alaska. Dominant bear of the area, 856, asserting his dominance over bear 747 (fat bear contest winner recently).

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2020, 11:07 PM by Shadow )

Brown bears fight for dominance in Romania, 2019. Notice wild boars on background too.

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2020, 08:16 PM by Ashutosh )

Otters messing with a Mugger Crocodile near Hampi. Otters are known to harass any predator who is too close to their den. They also sometimes distract muggers as other otters steal croc kills.

4 users Like Ashutosh's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

3 users Like Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

2 users Like Rage2277's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

(05-28-2020, 01:50 PM)Shadow Wrote: Since there are a lot of species outside of felids and canids, which have interesting and sometimes really impressive conflicts/confrontations, this thread can be used to highlight those from other postings.

I start this one with two alligators. Very interesting to hear sounds even though a short clip. Btw... also when talking about bite forces, we don´t see head crushing here. I point this out because so often people talk about "superior bite forces", here once again it can be seen, that some theoretical or even proven bite force, when biting something with a really good bite and not too thick object isn´t quite the same as situation is when bite isn´t perfect. I really don´t think, that crocodiles can bite so hard, when object is mostly there, where animals usually have canines, with crocodiles it could be said, that when in frontal part of jaws. 

The following month, you created a similar thread, with "or" replaced by "of": https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-intersp...-of-felids

(06-15-2020, 02:43 PM)Shadow Wrote: I created this thread for many interesting conflicts, which happen without participation of canids or felids. Here should be posted video clips showing what happened or if photos, not only some random photo with text like "rhino and buffalo fight". If only a photo or photos, then there should be also a good description about it what happened. How it started and how it ended up. If someone wants to post only some random photo, then seek some other thread, there are threads for excellent photos etc. Put here only things, which show or tell what happened.

Anyway in this thread can be put practically all interspecific conflict situations, also between domesticated animals, which haven´t had really a good thread before. But as said, to keep postings interesting, no random photos only!

I start with a video, which had a gem, imo, and surprised me.

Watch from 1:25 to 1:45, that was quite a knockout! I almost spilled my coffee :) There is also that situation leading to what is on thumbnail of this video. Right before this situation, which impressed me the most.

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

Here is a Horse that was injured by a Wild Boar.

*This image is copyright of its original author

source: https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/thread...cs.549654/
1 user Likes Styx38's post

animal enthusiast

animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2022, 06:01 AM by Rage2277 )

Yellowstone National Park visitors in Wyoming witnessed a ferocious attack, in which a large, male grizzly mortally injured a sub-adult bear.
Tourists were drawn to the roadside area to observe the young grizzly male that had been frequenting the region for about three weeks, says Paul Allen, a long-time visitor to the park, and noted photographer who has a home nearby in Idaho.

Allen was photographing the young bear on May 22 when an older and much larger pair of grizzlies showed. Allen captured images of the subsequent attack and offers his insight on how it played out.
“I’m no grizzly expert, but I’ve been coming to Yellowstone to shoot photos for about 20 years,” says Allen. “I’ve seen lots of bears over the years, and I have a theory of what occurred.
Allen says the small male bear was near the road only 50 yards from the group of tourists and had no idea the larger bears were nearby.

“If the young bear knew they were near I believe he would have run away,” says Allen. “But the female bear surprised the young one, and she initiated the fatal attack, and it wasn’t a bluff charge. Bears have a superb sense of smell, and I think she was trying to run the young bear away. She knew it was her cub. She was being courted and mated by the larger male grizzly, and a female won’t actively mate until their young leave them. The female was fighting the young male when the bigger male bear showed. He is the biggest grizzly I’ve ever seen in Yellowstone, about 500 pounds, aggressive and full of fight.”
Below, you can see the sequence of the attack along with Allen’s commentary.

This is the young bear (3-year-old subadult) roughly 10 minutes prior to the attack. Paul Allen

The sub-adult bear is fat, healthy, and oblivious.

This is the female as she came into the meadow below the subadult. Paul Allen

I wouldn’t be surprised if the two adult bears had smelled the young bear (I can’t say for sure) because they were moving as if on a mission. Because the sub-adult was caught completely off guard, I assume he was upwind of them. He had no idea that they were coming, or he would have high-tailed it out of there.

This is the grizzly boar as he pursued the adult female into the meadow. Paul Allen

This large male grizzly is estimated at 500 pounds. He was the biggest grizzly bear I’ve seen in Yellowstone, and I’d never seen nor heard of him previously.

The mother bear charging the sub-adult bear. Paul Allen

While admittedly not the best photo, this is the mother bear initiating the attack. It’s an aspect of the story people find interesting and confusing – that a mother bear would attack its own offspring so as to mate a mature male bear.

The big boar having just swatted the female off the juvenile, and pouncing on top. Paul Allen

I love this photo because it speaks to the action of the moment, even though artistically, it’s not that great. But the rolling female with feet up is a reminder of how powerful the big boar is.

The boar fully engaged in mauling the juvenile Paul Allen

It’s clear that the female is still engaged in the fight. This is important, because it dispels the notion that she was trying to “save” her offspring by just running him off. She was engaged. I believe her instincts tell her that her offspring have to be gone so she is free to mate again, and if she encounters one in the heat of the moment, as she did here, she wants that damn junior bear gone so she can fulfill her biological imperative.  Many want to romanticize the possibility that she was trying to warn him away for his safety, but I have plenty of evidence that it was more than that. In my opinion, this was about mating, not about trying to protect her young.  

The female bear, right, charges toward the sub-adult bear. Paul Allen

This is a poor quality image, but it’s chilling showing the full charge of the female.  She is clearly going after her offspring aggressively, not the big boar (which she might if she was trying to protect her cub.) 

The large male grizzly towers over the smaller bear. Paul Allen

This was not the final moment, as the boar left the sub-adult bear after this and headed up into the trees. But as soon as the sub-adult bear moved, the boar charged back in and grabbed the young bear by the neck, hurling it downhill and behind a log, where we weren’t able to see anything more of the young bear. But this image is powerful, as it demonstrates the size difference (500 pounds compared to 148 pounds.) The look of resignation in the young bear’s eyes have proven heartbreaking for most observers. Look closely in the boar’s mouth, and there is fur and flesh and blood on his teeth.
Yellowstone Park staffed arrived shortly on the scene and watched the young grizzly for an hour and determined it wouldn’t survive the adult bear attack. They chased away the adult grizzlies, euthanized the young bear and removed it.
Biologists performed a necropsy on the bear and determined it suffered significant injuries, including massive head, neck, and spinal wounds, a broken right shoulder and a laceration in the right flank exposing its organs. https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/yellowstone-grizzly-kills-another-bear-photos/?fbclid=IwAR0WDawsYUzejdfJeFwQcZlR5qtxZLAKS7yjZilUXB95zodMvTa1WV3xxik
3 users Like Rage2277's post

animal enthusiast

1 user Likes Rage2277's post