There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Birmingham Coalition Male Lineage

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 4 hours ago by Tr1x24 )

(Yesterday, 08:51 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Very strange she is still with them tho I mean the plains camp male arrived with their sisters and they got chased and regrouped but one day they left same with the matshipiri males their sister vanished She’s 4 in a half years old right so I guess she’s just not ready to mate and has no need to leave them
(11 hours ago)Duco Ndona Wrote: Lions are social animals and the group hasnt matured yet. So she doesnt have the confidence yet to head out on her own.

We had few examples recently like this one, Vuyelas, Ndhzengas also had company of sister thru nomadic pase.

Females in this situation usually leave because when she matures and starts showing signs of estrus, her brothers are trying to mate with her which she obiviously doesnt wants and rejects them.

Then she moves of from them and finds different males in that area to mate with, then settles in there and thats it.

Thats what Ndhzengas sister did.

But problem with this lone nomadic females is they for some reason are coming quite late into estrus, Tsalala girl only recently started mating at almost 5 yrs of age, and Kambula girl still doesnt showing signs for that.

Maybe reason is stress of that lifestyle and fear of territorial males, from which they are "programmed" to run.

Females in stable prides dont have that problem and are coming into estrus quite sooner, some even around 3 yrs of age.

And if Kambula female still didnt hit that maturity clock, theres no reason for her to leave her brothers, who are her "pride", in her eyes.

But then is danger that males find new pride before she leaves, which is danger for her, thats how Vuyelas sister got killed.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(5 hours ago)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like both males where quite "lucky" that they didnt sustain further mauling, only few bite marks on K6 back legs:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Both look sore, but should recover relatively quickly from that.

Question is what exactly happened that neither of 2 males didnt get killed or more badly mauled, as both where definetly caught by 2 males based if injuries.

So either other Kambulas intervened and didnt just run away, or, minding that Kambulas prob didnt challenge neither of Gijimas or PCMs, it was just a message from them towards Kambulas to stop hanging in/near their territory.

I hope Kambulas got that message and will start moving north towards K4 and finally establish themselves there with NKs.

Exactly what I was thinking about all of this. As we are all well aware, Gijimas and PCMs are capable of dishing out terrible maulings, and even killing other lions. That these two have what may be, relatively speaking, minor injuries, implies, to me, that one or more of the other may have intervened. Without witnesses to the attacks, we will never know, but in both instances something stopped the attacking males from doing a lot more damage.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(5 hours ago)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: From what I remember she did try to rejoin the pride twice and aggressive K6 lioness kept attacking her. K12 had even met and was accepted by one of the Nzinga males. Very sad that she was too scared to try again to rejoin

I think that happened when her older sisters where rejoining the pride and started mating with Ndhzengas, she was too young for mating then and Ndhzengas would prob kill her or chase her off (which prob happened).
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(4 hours ago)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(5 hours ago)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: From what I remember she did try to rejoin the pride twice and aggressive K6 lioness kept attacking her. K12 had even met and was accepted by one of the Nzinga males. Very sad that she was too scared to try again to rejoin

I think that happened when her older sisters where rejoining the pride and started mating with Ndhzengas, she was too young for mating then and Ndhzengas would prob kill her or chase her off (which prob happened).

Yeah I believe read somewhere that the younger kambulas had pushed out and attacked the older females making basically making them form the breakaway pride but it’s strange bc the one older female they accepted isn’t any of their mothers lol k5 is the mother k6 and k12i believe k5 died mother of k3,k4, and k5 I can’t remember the other older girl that died but the younger female that died was k2s sister i think yeah but it’s just interesting so see who gets pushed out and who gets to stay sorta thing

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@GhostCatP-22 The sister has no issue hunting anything and has been observed making smaller solo kills.

United States T_Ferguson Online

So.. K4 is indeed mating.  I guess they can go for the trifecta if the BDM's ever wake up to this fact.