There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Big cat and Bear tale

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I read the article Pckts. It is referring to Grizzly Bear 211, aka scarface. 
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2015, 09:27 PM by brotherbear )

Big Bonns... I think Warsaw makes the point. How many Lions achieve 230kg....give us the data. Of course they occur but just dont get caught for health checking purposes.
Thus we can only get an idea of the potential size/weight of a species potential by the animals which turn up on occasion for whatever reason.
As regard Yellowstone i have documented record of 5 Grizzly which have met or exceeded the 750lb limit you set.Carmichaels Bear in Grizzly Years is described as a good 750lb animal by a man who had tracked Bear at the biological level for 9 seasons.....John Craigheads 500kg Bear actually weighed and reported in his book 1979. Lance Craigheads 890lb Bear in Bears of Wyoming (Wyoming scrapes the edge of Yellowstone) The 2 recent road kills at 730lb and 840lb and of 2003 the translocated 847lb Bear of 2003.
Its enough for me to suggest these animals can do about 800lb to 850lbs.
As regard the Yukon only bear made the very unusual weight of 930lb and i accept that 750lb Bear is highly unusual for here with this 930lb animal a freak.
Similary with the Rocky mountain 750lb Grizzly.
However, Khutz grizzly and Bella Grizzly are often reported as very big. The record for Khutz of 1050lbs again demonstrates that 850lbs is not fantasy.
Incredibly a female from Denali weighed 700lbs, demonstrating that even a female can outweigh the biggest ever Lion in freak cases.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2015, 09:44 PM by brotherbear )

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world...ching-end/ 

BOISE, Idaho — Grizzly bear No. 211 has been captured by scientists 17 times during his long life in and around Yellowstone National Park.

“Wherever we set traps, he seems to find them,” said Kerry Gunther, the park’s bear management program leader.

Born in 1990 during the midst of a grizzly baby boom, No. 211 witnessed the return of wolves, and has become one of the most recognizable bruins by park visitors who’ve dubbed him Scarface due to healed gashes from fights with other bears.

Scientists say genetic matches show he fathered at least three offspring during a 25-year span that saw the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem grizzly bear population rise from about 300 to more than 750.

Now, scientists say it could be time to remove federal protections for the bears. Members of an Interagency Grizzly Bear subcommittee are meeting Tuesday and Wednesday in Jackson, Wyo., where delisting will be one of the topics.

“We’ve talked about the idea of doing that and we all agree that the population is recovered,” said Chris Servheen, grizzly-bear recovery coordinator with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. “But there’s no proposal that it be delisted.”

No. 211 has spent much of his life within view of roads, thrilling wildlife watchers. Some have seen him fight other grizzlies or drive wolves away from carcasses.

The first capture of No. 211 happened in 1993 near Mount Washburn in the northeast part of the park. At 3 years old, he weighed an estimated 150 pounds.

Whether he’s not smarter than the average bear, or perhaps, just considers a free meal of road-killed deer or elk inside a giant cylindrical bear trap worth being drugged, weighed and fitted with a new radio collar, isn’t clear. But with a total of 17 captures, he’s one of the most studied bears in what scientist say is one of the most studied bear populations on the planet.

“It’s one of the longest ongoing research efforts on any large vertebrate,” said Frank van Manen, a wildlife biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey and team leader of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team, which puts out the bear traps.

“Every bear has a unique history, and these records are a great example of how the life history of a bear progresses through time,” he said in a follow-up email to The Associated Press. Combine bear No. 211 “with similar histories and genetics of hundreds of bears over more than four decades of data and one can start to understand the complex dynamics of this grizzly bear population.”

All that information, scientists say, shows that the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem grizzly bear population has reached capacity for the amount of resources available.

A decline in the survival of bear cubs that appears due to young bears being killed by large male grizzlies is one sign, scientists say.

“This happens in areas with high densities,” Van Manen said.

Gunther said that as bears expand outward, they’re running into human populations. About 80 to 85 percent of the annual grizzly deaths in the ecosystem are human-related, Gunther said, with many of those being bears captured and euthanized due to conflicts with people or livestock.

“They’re bumping up against the social human tolerance of where they can be,” Gunther said.

No. 211 weighed 597 pounds when he was captured in 2001, the highest weight researchers recorded.

“In his prime, we saw a lot less of him,” Gunther noted. “But when he was near a road, people and traffic didn’t bother him. It was stolid indifference. He was king of the woods and he wasn’t afraid of anything.”

In subsequent captures, he has weighed less. Now near the end of what’s generally considered a wild grizzly bear’s life span, he weighed 338 pounds at his last capture on Aug. 31 near Mount Washburn.

“Recent records show his body mass and condition have declined,” Van Manen said, “as we would expect for a bear of his age.”

Gunther said No. 211 in recent years has spent more time feeding near roads, likely to avoid larger grizzlies that tend to stay away from park visitors that number in the millions each year.

Based on his condition, Gunther said he expects No. 211 to die over the winter or in spring when food is scarce and that he won’t be able to compete with other grizzlies and wolves.

“He’s been a symbol of remote wilderness, but he lives among 4 million visitors,” Gunther said.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

It seems that different scientists, in different studies, from different dates, produce different results.

For example, in 1982 Craighead and Mitchell found that the heaviest male and female at Yellowstone were of 500 and 204 kg respectively, but these were "dump" feed bears, not natural ones. Latter, Blanchard, in 1987, reported maximum weights of 325 and 194 kg (male and female respectively) in the same area, also influenced by "dump" but at a relative less degree. However, these specimens seems exceptional, as the second heaviest male in the study of Blanchard weighed 288.3 kg; the two heaviest specimens consistently foraged at the Cooke City, Mont., dump during summer months for the entire period they were monitored (3 and 7 years, respectively).

Maybe the weight of male "No.-211" at 597 lb (271 kg) could represent the maximum from a "no-dump" bear.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

http://www.nrmsc.usgs.gov/research/igbst/history

Grizzly Enthusiast

I disagree Guate. There have been numerous grizzlies weighing 600+ pounds since the dumps were closed in the 1980s. That weight given ( 597 pounds ) is simply the weight of one individual bear in a study. 

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-24-2015, 10:24 PM)brotherbear Wrote: I disagree Guate. There have been numerous grizzlies weighing 600+ pounds since the dumps were closed in the 1980s. That weight given ( 597 pounds ) is simply the weight of one individual bear in a study. 

Everything I am reading on him says he is is the largest bear or specifically discusses his size, as well as the fact that he was able to control the prime territory and father soo many cubs. Much like Waghdoh, he must of been the dominant male for quite some time. That study was over a 2 decades and his weight is the largest of that individual study, yes, but that study was conducted over soo much time. And the study is done on the most studied population of Brown bear as well.
Looking through all the weights I can find that are published, he is definitely in the top % of male bears from yellowstone in recent times.

"Of the two specie the grizzly bear is the largest and most formidable. The weight varies from 325 to 600 pounds in this area, occasionally larger. Black bears weigh between 135 and 315 pounds. "
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/bears.html

"Height: About 3 1/2 feet at the shoulder. Weight: Males - 216-717 lbs; Females - 200-428 lbs"

Here is all the sources cited for these weights

Bagget, J.A. 1984. Hibernation. Science World. 40(10):8-11.
Gunther, K. A., and R. A. Renkin. 1990. Grizzly bear predation on elk calves and other fauna of Yellowstone National Park. In t.Conf Bear Res. and Manage. 8:329-334.
Herrero, S. 1978. A comparison of some features of the evolution, ecology and behavior of black and grizzly/brown bears. Carnivore 1(1):7-17.
Herreo, S. 1985. Bear Attacks - Their Causes and Avoidance. Winchester Press, New Century Publishers, Inc., Piscataway, N.J. 287pp.
Knight, R. R., D. J. Mattson, and B. M. Blanchard. 1984. Movements and habitat use of the Yellowstone grizzly bear. U.S. Dep. Inter., Natl. Park Serv., Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. Unpubl. Rep. 177pp.
Knight, B. M. Blanchard, and D. J. Mattson. 1988. Yellowstone grizzly bear investigations: Annual report of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team, 1987. U.S. Dep. Inter., Natl. Park Serv. 80pp.
Mattson, D. J., and C. Jonkel. 1990. Stone pines and bears. Pages 223-236 in Proceedings-Symposium on Whitebark Pine Ecosystems: Ecology and Management of a High-Mountain Resource, U.S. Dep. Agric., For. Serv. 386pp.
Mealey, S. P. 1975. The natural food habits of free-ranging grizzly bears in Yellowstone National Park, 1973-1974. M.S. Thesis, Montana State Univ., Bozeman. 158pp.
Reinhart, D. P. 1990. Grizzly bear habitat use on cutthroat trout spawning streams in tributaries of Yellowstone Lake. M.S. Thesis, Montana State Univ., Bozeman. 128pp.
Sanders, K.D. 1990. Safety guidelines for hiking, photographing, filming, and observing grizzly bears. Self published. 20pp.
Sanders, K.D. 2001. Gallatin Canyon Bear Proof Trash research project. Unpublished 6p.
Wickelgren, I. 1988. Bone loss and the three bears: A circulating secret of skeletal stability. Science News. 134 (26):424-425.
Yell 703 INFORMATION PAPER No. BMO-3 Kerry Gunther Bear Management Office Wildlife Biologist Yellowstone National Park February 1996

A side note, scarface (what hes called) is said to have gotten his scars from self infliction due to his collaring. A lot of people said he was trying to remove it himself and scratches his face, nothing confirmed but you can look it up on facebook.
Just search yellowstone visitors , keyword "scarface" and you will see posts about him all over.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

@brotherbear, I was just quoting the scientific documents that I have. Probably there could be other records, but we most take a view on the source. Are they scientific, or confirmed? That is important to take in count.

@Pckts, about the scars:
"has become one of the most recognizable bruins by park visitors who’ve dubbed him Scarface due to healed gashes from fights with other bears."
It seems that the scars are from fights with other male bears, not from the collar.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 12:53 AM by brotherbear )

Text Extract:

"Reliable data on measurements of grizzly bears exist for populations in the Brooks Range of Alaska (Rausch 1963), the Yukon Territory (Pearson 1975), and the Yellowstone ecosystem (Craighead and Craighead 1973b). Weights of large adult animals from the Yellowstone ecosystem ranged from 158 to 204 kg for females, and from 363 to 500 kg for males. Average weights and physical dimensions by age classes of Yellowstone grizzly bears are given in table 25.1 (J. J. Craighead unpublished data)."

Craighead, J. J., and J. A. Mitchell. 1982. Grizzly Bear. Pp. 515-556 in J. A. Chapman and G. A. Feldhamer (eds.). Wild Mammals of North America: biology, management and economics. John Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore, MD.

500 kg = 1,102.31 pounds.

http://shaggygod.proboards.com/board/55/...bear-brown

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 01:47 AM by brotherbear )

From Big Bonns ( again )...  Grizzly that have comfortably exceeded 800lbs with supporting pictures, email or documentation. Warsaw has also posted similar of a specimen of 320kg from Europe. The recent road kill of Yellowstone at 830lbs and the translocated nuisance Grizzzly of 843lb is complete and substantiated proof that Grizzlies get this large in Yellowstone. Warsaw has just proven 320kg for his European specimen.

http://newwest.net/city/article/grizzly_...tos/C8/L8/

http://ravallirepublic.com/missoula/news...9b2cc.html

July 2013 ... not a dumpster-diving grizzly .... and Summer weight.

Grizzly Enthusiast

I believe that on average, the inland grizzlies of North America are slightly smaller than their Russian cousins probably due to a richer environment in Russia and Siberia. 

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-24-2015, 11:24 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: @brotherbear, I was just quoting the scientific documents that I have. Probably there could be other records, but we most take a view on the source. Are they scientific, or confirmed? That is important to take in count.

@Pckts, about the scars:
"has become one of the most recognizable bruins by park visitors who’ve dubbed him Scarface due to healed gashes from fights with other bears."
It seems that the scars are from fights with other male bears, not from the collar.

Here you go @Guate

Its said by few, obviously no way of proving but thats what is said

Wild at Heart Images-Wildlife and Nature Photography

""Old Scarface"
Here's another photo of Scarface taken this past Saturday on Dunraven Pass. Both Steve and I thought he looked better than we'd seen him look in a long time, especially for a bear his age. In my last post about Scarface, I reported that the old boy was 23 years old, but I wasn't certain so I decided to see what I could find out about him. What I found was a Yellowstone bear report written by Kerry Gunther, Yellowstone's Bear Management Program Leader, which listed Scarface's age as 21 years in 2011.
During 2011, Scarface was captured and collared as part of the investigation into the Mary Mountain bear mauling. As you can see, Scarface is still wearing the same radio collar, which in other photos I can see is hanging on by a thread. Scarface was first captured and collared in 1993 for bluff charging visitors and has been collared numerous times during his long life. I've often heard that many of his scars were self-inflicted from his efforts to remove his numerous radio collars, but I have no way of knowing if this is true. Once this collar does fall off, I do hope that Scarface is allowed to live out the rest of his days in peace without a radio collar. I don't think that's too much to ask for this old bear."

There are more in the comments sections on his images but who knows for sure.
I would bet any amount of money that he of course got scars from frighting as well. He's an old, dominant bear, he didn't get that way by roaring. Sometimes they fight and those weapons are going to leave scars, thats a fact.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 11:28 PM by Pckts )

(11-25-2015, 01:07 AM)brotherbear Wrote: From Big Bonns ( again )...  Grizzly that have comfortably exceeded 800lbs with supporting pictures, email or documentation. Warsaw has also posted similar of a specimen of 320kg from Europe. The recent road kill of Yellowstone at 830lbs and the translocated nuisance Grizzzly of 843lb is complete and substantiated proof that Grizzlies get this large in Yellowstone. Warsaw has just proven 320kg for his European specimen.

http://newwest.net/city/article/grizzly_...tos/C8/L8/

http://ravallirepublic.com/missoula/news...9b2cc.html

July 2013 ... not a dumpster-diving grizzly .... and Summer weight.

"Editor’s note: This story originally reported that the bear weighed about 700 pounds. Since then, wildlife officials upped that to 830 pounds."

That bear is actually from Montana

" grizzly bear, hit by a pickup truck on Highway 200 near Lincoln, Montana, "
"It turned out the grizzly was one well known to some folks who live in the area, particularly the Smrdels, who reside smack in the middle of a major wildlife travel corridor just west of Lincoln. Fish, Wildlife & Parks "

Montana is North of Yellowstone which is in Wyoming, yellowstone does extend into montana but the primary park is in wyoming and I don't think that bear was struck in yellowstone.
The original weight of 700lbs then the change is a bit concerning though?

Bigcat Enthusiast

You can actually find out about the bear weights during its capture since it was collared as well if you're inclined

"The bear was originally captured in 1996 along the Rocky Mountain Front as part of a research study, as evidenced by its lip tattoo, and radio-collared until 1998 when the bear “went off the air,” Jonkel said. Hair samples showed that the bear made its way into the Blackfoot region by 2004, and Jonkel suspects — and hopes — it’s the same grizzly responsible for other area outbuilding break-ins last fall."

They also said he would of probably been put down any way since he was in human habitat and increasing, could of been a "dumpster diving bear" or something a long those lines.

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2015, 06:40 PM by brotherbear )

Grizzlies don't sit still, they often roam from one location to another; sometimes hundreds of miles. When I say "Yellowstone Grizzly" I am referring to those grizzlies of Wyoming and Montana. Park boundaries are for people and not recognized by the bears. Grizzlies are very individualistic animals. I have read about one Alaskan bear who swims for his salmon in the middle of a river rather than fishing at the waters edge. Another grizzly in the Yellowstone area would walk right past an elk carcass preferring to hunt and kill his own. Then there is that Yellowstone bear who skips hibernation to follow a wolf pack and feasting on their kills. Different habits produce variations in grizzly size. My point is, a mature male inland grizzly has the potential of weighing from 800 to 900 pounds in the wild and those bears are not freaks. Grizzlies of such size were documented long before the arrival of dumpsters. I refer to grizzlies of that area; Wyoming and Montana as "Yellowstone Bears" simply because the National Park is the most popular place in the lower 48 where people have a chance to see a living wild grizzly. 
However, the subject here is "Bear and Big Cat Interactions in the Wild." That means the bears of Asia. We have strayed from the topic long enough.   
3 users Like brotherbear's post