There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(01-07-2020, 07:38 AM)peter Wrote: GUATE

Excellent work, as always. Appreciated. When I'm done with the indexes, I will post a number of tables on the size of tigers (and other big cats). These tables are different from the previous tables in that they're based on reliable information I found in books. I'll also post a few tables with information on the size of captive big cats. Before posting, I'll contact you.

Jhala

A few weeks ago, YV Jhala, indirectly, featured in a debate about a large male tiger in northern India. As a result of the debate, Shadow decided to contact an organisation in India. He ended up talking to Jhala. Jhala told him he had no information about the tiger in northern India, but said he would try to find the man who weighed the tiger in northern India.

During the debate, it was stated that Jhala never worked in northern India. His trade was tigers in central India. In your post, I read Jhala was in Ranthambore. The question is if Ranthambore is considered as a part of central India? 

Jhala, as you know, told Shadow that the heaviest tigers he had seen ranged between 280-290 kg. (618-640 pounds) on a full stomach. The question is if he was referring to Ranthambore tigers. Maybe you can find out a bit more.

Northern India 

The information I have strongly suggest that tigers shot in northern India and Nepal were among the largest wild big cats in the period 1870-1940. This conclusion was confirmed in documents published after 1970. Some individuals in central and, in particular, northeastern India can reach 600 pounds and 10 feet in total length measured in a straight line, but at the level of averages tigers in northern India and Nepal most probably still top the lists. By a margin, I think.

The problem is a lack of good information. We know a bit about the size of tigers in southwestern, central and northeastern India, but there's, as far as I know, no document with good information about the length and weight of adult tigers in northern India. My guess is a document of that nature isn't going to be published any time soon.

Proposals 

Size, for obvious reasons (tigers really are walking the edge), is not on the agenda of today's biologists. If we want to find out a bit more, therefore, we have to do it ourselves. My first proposal is to start a task force. If you have time, Guate, you could head the task force. The first goal of the task force 'Size' is to collect reliable data. The second goal is to get to good conclusions at the level of species, subspecies and regions. 

If we want good information about the size of Indian tigers today, we have no option but to contact wildlife organisations and biologists working in India. As we want to prevent chaos (posters contacting biologists all the time), my second proposal is to appoint one of us as our contact. As Shadow is both interested and able to open just about every door, he seems most suited. I'll talk to him soon.

Great to know that @peter, for this project I will definitelly will make time for it. About your tables, I will be very happy to help you with that.

About Dr Jhala and Ranthambore, it seems that he keep information of many tiger in many regions, not only Central India. After all, Ranthambore is just an "island" in the middle of nowere and make sense that he manage information of the tigers in that area. However, like I said before, based in the documents that I have saw the tigers radiocollared and measured are 3 adult males, 1 adult female, 3 subadult males and 1 subadult female; as far I know the largest male in that area, actually weighed, is the male "Ustad" T-24 with a confirmed weight of 240 kg when he was ill (probably weighed more latter, I don't have more data of him).

Tigers in the Gwalior region, which is the area were the current Ranthambore tigers came, are famous for been really huge, in fact, 3 of the 6 extra large tigers came from that area. Even more impresive, if we take in count all the male tigers recorded from that area (220, 240, 268, 272, 276 & 281) we got an impresive avreage of 259.5 kg! Obviously that figure is not reliable as it takes in count three exceptional specimens, but is still very interesting to see those huge males in that area. However, we most remember that the biggest specimens could be baited, which will increase the weights, I discussed this already in other topic.

I will be ready for your next communication, greetings my friend.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - GuateGojira - 01-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:36 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 02:22 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 01:01 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:07 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM