There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Indonesia WaveRiders Offline

ALL

Just to avoid a big misunderstanding when I wrote

“Your allegation that because V. Mazak appears to have been biased therefore some modern zoologists are likely biased too and in the most stupid and amateur way (cheating on measurements) when and if they concentrate on a particular animal is very bizarre.”

The most stupid and amateur way” was referred to any modern zoologist if he cheats on measurements. I am VERY sorry if this was intended otherwise because I do no call anybody stupid, idiot, retard like many did among themselves in AVA. One of the reason because I stayed around in AVA the first time in the late Winter / Spring of 2004 only for some months (the best time despite a few people, no doubt) and the second time in January 2012 for only less then one month was because I was completely fed up and peaced off by the aggression some people showed against other people and their excessive fanaticism.

My posts are generally a critics to other posts or consideration or analyses that do not need new data as yours are enough for my purpose. Could you explain me what I should have shown in post #411 and post #414 in this tread that I did not? Could you please explain what data I had to show to discuss the Nepal tiger food issue and length measurement method that I did not show? The page from Tamang thesis or from Karanth book that everybody knows about but that in this website is never shown? Could you please explain me what data I need to show in order to discuss the Ngorongoro lion weight ESTIMATE of Brown et al. (1991)? You want to see the correct equation?. Look by yourself. You want to have chest girth data from Serengeti and from Ngorongoro Crater lions? Look by yourself if you can. I NEVER said that I based something to data I have from Ngorongoro Crater lions. I discussed a published weight estimate, a chest girth range provided by Packer you know about (saying nothing if matches my info and data or not) and made my point.

I discuss things that ARE published AND you know about. I based nothing of FUNDAMENTAL in my critics and analyses on UNpublished info/data and published info/data that NONE of you know about. One thing I can tell you for sure: based on your attitude, it is completely useless to show you published data that you do not know about and, what’s more, unpublished data. I would not show the latter ones in any case and I explained you why.

Mine are not attacks saying as GuateGojira wrote  “your post is laughable” or “You constantly insulted to all the posters” or “your own words discover your lie”, etc. etc. Mine are educated sometimes hard critics played against the constant music. So if one does not play the constant music that four out of four biased moderators play all the time and makes critics towards this approach and ambition to make science then he insults? Then he is a troll? Well Sanjay and Peter tell me this crystal clear and I will disappear instantly. You well know that I will not die at all, at most I will perhaps anticipate my 3rd disappearance. I will be happy to leave in your world of so-called unbiased science.

GuateGojira

I know you always win. Please accept my most sincere congratulations. That is the reason because I did not counter-post you for the Nepal tiger food issue, for Nepal/Nagarahole tigers length measurement method and for the Ngorongoro weight estimate issues. Live in peace with your beliefs. I do with mine together with other men of science like me. By the way, you did forget I told you that I took into consideration the Sunquist e-mails concerning the length measurement method that I did not know about and that contradict the official document from Tamang and the official statement by Karanth in his major book. When Sunquist e-mail contents and a Karanth rectification will appear in a peer-reviewed scientific paper or in a peer-reviewed scientific book I will review my consideration. Before that I do not and stick with the official info as it was not me who received those e-mails and I cannot bother Sunquist and Karanth now for such an issue.

Be sure that a war with you in the web is the last thing I would do in my life. I have no time and will for it also because I would definitely loose against you and your persistence. So please treat me with kind benevolence.

Sanjay

I understand your concerns. Do not worry, I want to mess nothing. I do not pretend my statements are considered right, but I believe a website forum cannot go very far with a monotonic music with no critics. A forum should be a place to debate politely and express critical analyses and considerations if any contributor feels necessary. I try to stick to this concept and to the rules. If I break the rules please let me know that immediately. One more thing I know about tigers in depth as much as lions, bears and other mammals. I did not express critical analyses against lions or brown bears so far because in this website the lion and the brown bear are the negative target by all of you. So what exaggerations should I write against in lions an brown bears? In life I tend to side myself with the ones who have little or no words and in this website lions and brown bears have no words. I am sure you get my point.

Tigerluver

You wrote

“WaveRiders. One, we're seeing some Freudian projection in your attacks against posters here, though I'm sure three witnesses is enough for the point to get across. Please keep it to information and not posters.”

Honestly it is not very clear to me what you meant for “Freudian projection”.

You also wrote

“I'd argue your definition of peer-reviewed as I've explained before. Beyond the fact that books are not peer-reviewed like a paper anyhow, Sunquist and Sunquist, the top of the line in felid science, cited 325 kg (a value which has so and so sources in terms of reliability at best) as end range for the Amur tiger. I guess with the logic you've applied, 325 kg wild Amur tigers it is.”

You probably referred to the paragraph in my post #414

“However you will never find a zoologist reporting the 320 kg male tiger from Smythies in a peer-reviewed scientific paper or in a peer-reviewed scientific book clearly stating it is the highest accurate and reliable weight of a wild (Bengal) tiger. And this even knowing that they would not be shot by accepting the record as it is the least of the problem in the very most of circumstances of the professional zoology world.

The point is that by definition only an occurrence recorded by a professional scientist and presented and discussed in a peer-reviewed scientific paper or in a peer-reviewed scientific book is scientific evidence and prove. That is the way science works and being a man of science I fully agree with the procedure of course.”

I did not provide a definition of peer-reviewed paper or book because I assumed you all know. You are writing that “books are not peer-reviewed like a paper anyhow. Sunquist and Sunquist …”

Why do you think I wrote “peer-reviewed scientific book” and not simply scientific book? Because it is not the same thing. Do you consider Sunquist and Sunquist (2002) a peer-reviewed scientific book? Well, I do not and in strict terms it is not. It is considerable at the very best a scientific book. These books are also reviewed by a panel of editors, but in a different way from how peer-reviewed scientific books are, and the procedure is “significantly softer” and in a way depending by the author. Tigers of the World (1987, 1999, 2010) are instead peer-reviewed scientific books but this kind of books are also written by one only contributor. You should also look who is the editor as “Oxford University Press is one thing while a remote editor in a remote country is a completely different thing among the same category of books (scientific and pseudo-scientific).

So my logic not to consider that absurd table with head-and-body length up to 2.90 meter and 325 kg max weight provided by Sunquist and Sunquist (2002) was correct. Sunquist would have never written that crap info in a peer-reviewed scientific book or in a peer-reviewed scientific paper as he is a great scientist (although nobody is perfect).

Now because you have (re)materialized a 500 kg Pleistocene Ngandong tiger, if you do not mind I would have something for you in the Freak Felids thread. Just you and anybody else tell me if you want to read a critical analysis that I believe will be useful to you even if it will disappoint you or you do not want to read it. I do not care much to be honest. The graduate thesis is yours, not mine.

WaveRiders

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - WaveRiders - 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM