There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM by Wolverine )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Jury Mihailovitch Jankovskij (the elder)
translation from book "Fifty years of tiger hunting":
https://www.rulit.me/books/polveka-ohoty...086-5.html

Chapter 1
MY FIRST TIGER HUNTING
…………………………………….

"So, it happened in December 1889. Platon who just arrived from horse riding informed us that he discovered killed by tiger our mare Zelna at around six verstes (distance) from our manor house and was directed by group of crows. Despite at those times such an event was something normal we felt sad because we knew well that horse and it cost us also a financial loses. My father start preparing for hunt and we sent Platon to gather a horses spread on the fields before the nightfall in order to prevent their killing by a tiger. Since there was nobody else in home my dad agreed to get me with himself.

The area where was killed Zelna was difficult and dangerous for hunting of tiger. It was a flat coast of lake Lobiazhee 1 km wide and covered by canes. In many places was growing a young pine wood and if you follow the traces of the tiger you can directly run into it. Also there was only little bit snow which dispersed our attention following his traces. Beside this is hard to notice the tiger among the yellowish canes.

We started careful preparing for the hunt and this was typical for my father. For such a carefull preparations I am endlessly grateful to him since when you go to serious job you should be not dispersed nor careless. This habitude in the future has saved my live many times in the future. Unfourtunately in this case my father had only one Winchester gun. For me there was no firearm and I got only Platon's spear and was proud of it.

I remember how mom said: if the tiger attack your dad do not afraid and cut the beast!
I think not many mothers would allow their 11 years old sons to participate in tiger hunt.

I remember what a frustrating impression created in me following picture: in small meadow on the tramped snow among pine trees was lying torned apart our Zelna. Abdamon was cuted apart, all intestines were pulling out, half of the buttock was eaten out. With our approach the feeding on the carcass group of eagles and crows fly away cawing loudly and landed on the top of the surrounding trees unhappy that disturbed their dinner on the horse killed by the tiger. During the night the carcass got frozen and the hungry crows were pecking with difficulties. 

After we observed carefully the snow we found the place where the tiger was prowling towards the victim and by the way during the jump he broke with the chest a pine tree a hand tick. Then the tiger in his favourite fashion jumped on the horse's back caught the neck with his teeth and broke it with one movement only. Has to e mentioned that concerning the power of his muscles tiger can not compare with not other living creature.

Making further observations we arrived to conclusion that lastly the tiger was here a couple of hours before our arrival, he has eaten from his favourite part - the buttock and then moved to rest among the canes. 

… we started to follow tiger footprints ……………. when we went further it got easier to follow. Tiger (we found the place he was lying) obviously after heard our steps start to move away hiding among the canes, but as always in his favorite fashion turned aside in order to check do we follow him. In any case he was somewhere very close and I didn't realize how dangerous was the moment. Tiger's patience could finish in any moment due to our persistence, he could ambush us and attack. I realized all this after many years, but then under protection of my father I was quite."

etc etc finaly the tiger escaped crossing the border with Korea (or China - not clear)

9 users Like Wolverine's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Wolverine - 10-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM