There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Greatearth Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 06-18-2018, 06:58 PM by Greatearth )

I read that Indian rhino and Asiatic elephant shows aggression toward sloth bear and always charge bear if they feel a little bit annoying. I don't know how bear defense against these animal, but bear would most likely run away if it is rhino and elephant. It would be the same for the Brown bear, Grizzly bear, Kodiak Bear, and Polar bear since elephant and rhino are too big and extremely powerful. I saw one photo of fight between gaur vs 2 sloth bears for waterhole. Sloth bears ran away instead of fighting against gaur. I am not sure sloth bear target the face of the enemy like elephant, rhino, and gaur.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Gaur is huge!

About that video, I heard this sloth bear was actually a mother and she has a cub. She might defended death or alive while tiger is just trying to kill bear. I heard Matkasur is a 7 years old dominating male tiger and how come bear is okay (not even got injured and blood) even after it was bitten by tiger?

Anyway, if this bear was actually a mother. Then she would fight anything as possible to escape from tiger. It is the same for mother puma vs grizzly video. Mother puma protects her cub fiercely against grizzly bear. Grizzly ran away even though he is bigger and stronger than female puma just like Matkasaur and female sloth bear.  It might have been different for both sloth bear and puma if they were just normal female. This would be the same for the tiger and brown bear. If it was mother tiger defend death or alive against male brown bear to save her cubs. The tiger probably defeat brown bear just like those puma and sloth bear.

2 years ago, there was first record of jaguar predating on a black bear in USA. There was no doubt it was adult American black bear. The jaguar would have been attacked bear from ambush. Since jaguar killing style is bite straight through the skull of its prey unlike biting the neck to suffocate the prey. It pierces directly through the temporal bones of the skull the ears of prey with its canine teeth.

My guess it was ambush that killed adult American black bear, but nothing is really known what actually happened. What would it be if it was face to face match just like Matakasur and female sloth bear? The Arizona jaguar is not even huge as the Pantanal jaguar. The American black bear would chase away if it was face to face math. I've seen video of black bear is defeating against puma from face to face unlike mother puma vs grizzly bear.

I can’t tell since there are not many records, but I heard many of the Bengal tiger is killing sloth bear was from ambush. What would it be if tiger vs sloth bear just fought as death match? I would put my hand on tiger regardless if bear attacks on its eye or face due to size difference. If it was a brown bear, then I would say brown bear would be winner most likely even though brown bear would receive serious injuries. I noticed jaguar is doing well against the larger mammalian carnivores if it attacking from ambush, because of their killing style of skull bite. of I can’t tell about tiger since there are not many records, but leopard is opposite due to their small size. I think cheetah is the worst compared to all of big cats since cheetah lost everything to gain the fastest speed.

This young female tiger was extremely strong against huge male boar from face to face match. While below leopard is running away against larger hyena. I personally think leopard has more advantage against hyena since leopard can use paw to scratch its face. One problem is their smaller size unlike tiger and jaguar. The tiger and jaguar would kill hyena extremely fast. Especially, the male tiger would destroy group of hyenas with no problems since tiger is the most powerful, strongest, and largest of all cats.

Wolverine
I think Russian Far East and Korean peninsula had the most similar ecosystem and wildlife. However, I don't think the ecosystem of Korea and Russia were the same. It depends on area of the Korean peninsula, but animals of the South Korea were smaller and less larger herbivores. Temperature is much warmer in South Korea while northern Korea was definitely colder than Sihote Alin since it is high altitude.

Yes, I know about Yankovsky family background. I don't know many of their books since it's written it as Russian. I want to know more about the Amur leopard story. Thanks a lot for valuable information! I will write you through message when I have a time. I am a little busy these days.
3 users Like Greatearth's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 03-11-2018, 03:49 AM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM