There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 03-01-2018, 06:35 AM by Wolverine )

@peter here is a translation of the second and most dramatic part of the chapter. As you can see there is only one word for bear mentioned in the text:

"He holded on his shoulder long Japanese arisaka (gun) ready to be used. Uithout moving his eyes from the strange item Shin specially found under his feet a dry brunch and pressed on it. After the noise of broken brunch spread around the stange item became as alive: a gigantic red-black colored head got out through the grass and slowly turn in his direction: "Who dear to diturb tha sleep of the the Lord of Far Easterm jungles"?

The predator had so high self esteem it was so get used to the fear of every beast and humans that even didn't consider the option to stand up. He looked aggressively to the distant human figure but didn't see the top ot the gun directed on him. The tiger has been eaten well (not hungry) that was even lazy to roar on the stupid human been.
But tiny 6 mm gun (bullet) suddenly burned his body from aside.

Shin says: the tiger roared with terrific power, fell aside, than immediately jumped and with tree jumps rich the forest desapearing among it. For some time could be heard a noise of broken branches, buches and everything became quite. AT THE PLACE TIGER WAS RESTING SHIN FOUND A BLOOD, NEXT TO IT - A BIG HEAD AND BEAR'S PAW: OBVIOUSLY THE LORD HAS BEEN RESTING AFTER BIG BREAKFAST.

Such a large traices, do you understand I have never seen - with the size of my hat... I would not take the risk to follow the beast in the forest alone, if the tiger is wounded we should follow him all tree of us...

There shouldn't be another opinion on that case. A wounded small tiger is dangerous to follow alone even during the winter when you have unobstructed view.  But during the summer in the dence vegetation is equal to suicide

We quiqly had a breakfast and were preparing to get out of the tent but than suddenly a obstacle arise - Pak was so terrified that he refused to stay alone in the tent, the fear of aboriginal tiger from wounded tigers is so big.

...... here follows a long conversation between people how they should hunt down the tiger.............................

The size of the that beast's traises could terrify every tiger hunter. Such a big traices we have never sow in our lives. We were standing on the edge of the meadow and high wall of the forest but didn't have desire to go further. A black blood has polluted the leafs of wild grapes tree, half-crushed and smashed by the gigantic body.
It was 11 am. The sun was burning, large insects were everywhere around and were feeding on the blood but we still stand undecisevely at same place.

At last we started moving, shoulder next to shoulder, with guns in our hands as a military unit. On the left side was Valentin, in the centre - me and on the left side - Shin. Pak was beside us with the Browning gun in his hands. The forest was so dence, packed by lianas that at some places we could see to more than a few steps ahead. It was hard to find worse place. We entered in damp half-darkness.

"With one jump this monster could smach all of us together. We would just mot have enough time spread around in case of attack in such a dense vegetation" - I thought for myself and probably same thoughts had all of us.
There he is!!! - whispered Valentin. He first noticed the beast. Our view was obstructed by low branch of pine but for short Valentin it was easier to see beneath the branch.
-Where? - shot it - we said together. Pak was beside us as a dead.

Than in the last moment when I looked in the direction of Valentin's gun I saw a redish siluet and in that moment I heard the noise of bullet. We with Shin were ready with our fingers on the guns but there was no need to make a shot, the beast didn't make any movement. Valentin's bullet succeeded to penetrate the mighty neck of the tiger, the wound was so small that even blood was not visible, the beast was dead as mummy.

Here tiger made his final jump and fell. And here already dead he was lying until our arrival. The small bullet of Shin's arisaki gun had made the deadly job. (mean that actually tiger was deadly wounded earlier by Shin, described in the first part of the chapter)

We have seen a lot of tigers during our life but never something similar. Super powerfull male with gigantic dimentions. We, four guys seat on his back as on sofa....
9 guys brought the dead tiger..... We didn't succeed to measure whole body, so part by part it measured at least 350 kg.... the Japaneese guy measured the skin from the nose to the tail in the yard. It was 11 and a half feet - more than 3 and 3/4 meters.

Chinese pharmasists got cleared bones, Bryner family placed the wonderful skin in their official hall in Harbin. And the giant skull with welowish teeth - with the size of big finger each - Shin gave to my father - his friend from the youth. In his rich collections of horns, teeth and skulls it occupy the most prestigious place"

End of the chapter

@Greatearth Jankovski family (father ans son) is a family of Russian hunters. Unfourtunately their books are probably only in Russian. I didn't know nothing about them until last week Peter didn't turn my attention to them. I still have to read their books in details.
6 users Like Wolverine's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Wolverine - 03-01-2018, 05:03 AM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:36 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 02:22 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 01:01 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:07 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM