There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

Greatearth Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 12-14-2017, 03:31 PM by Greatearth )

1. About the post, article, and newspaper from Kingtheropod and Roflcopters

That newspaper website is no t mentioning entire correct information about the Siberian tiger lived in Korea. I discovered I find bunch of different and wrong information in each blogs and news while I was writing paper of the Korean tiger. Even each of newspapers are mentioning different story of the Korean tiger. It is the same for article posted from Roflcopters. Yongwoo Lee is a professor of the New York University. He is not a Biology professor after I searched his name. Looks like he is something like East Asian Studies Department.

No one knows what was the last wild tiger in Korea. However, the most accurate information of the last South Korean tiger was 1924. There were still more records of the tigers in Korea after 1924, but it is impossible to know if it was true. I did read something like a blue tiger was observed by American solider during the Korean War. I don’t know if this story was true, but tiger still survived in North Korea until 2000s. Tiger family was captured alive in North Korea in 1990s just like I mentioned story of zoo in Minnesota ruined it.

I absolutely agree with Spalea.
Japanese genocide other Asians just like German Nazis genocide other Europeans. Many Russian, American, and Dutch in Asia and Pacific islands were also genocide by jap during World War 2. What can you expect from japanese? They won’t care about wildlife and animal. Today, Japan is very infamous for killing endangered whale.
A thing was that Japan was also influenced from Chinese culture. Korea and China educated Japanese for a thousands years. We taught japanese how to build, medical, clothes, and random things for them to survive. Japanese also believed eating tiger would make you stronger in a past just like chinese and vietnamese are still believing today. This is also mentioning in Barclay’s book when he visited in Korea.

As Peter mentioned, Manchuria was covered with immense forest 100 years ago. It was a home of many amazing animals like gigantic Manchurian tiger. However, this place was one of dangerous battle ground.
Korea and Russia always had a good relationship throughout history. Korea always defeated China every time chinese dynasties invaded Korea (Manchuria was actually part of Korea land until 926 AD), but we were usually good friend. Russia and China always fought each other throughout history and they were the enemy during the cold war. Russia and china are doing good today because of USA. But I don't know what would happen to these 2 countries if USA is going down since Russia and China are still keeping an eye against each other. While japan is always causing conflicts with Russia, Korea, and China. Japan is a loner of these area. Especially, China and Japan are the worst enemy ever. That is why japan is doing anything for USA since they are afraid of china is growing so much faster and stronger today.
It means Manchuria was a "ground zero" throughout the history after Russia came to northeastern Asia in 18th century. It was a place that wildlife could be easily eliminated by war after technology revolution. That is what actually happened during last century by war, development, habitat loss, and human population growth. I think building railroad by Japanese and Chinese caused huge negative impact to destroy wildlife 100 years ago. That is why Siberian tiger in Manchuria was dangerous to human due to habitat loss and war. Example like local Chinese and native of Manchuria tied criminals on the tree since they were terrified of tiger from Peter's story. I also think I read something like the Manchurian tiger actually distinguished human. They didn’t hunt native (there are many different tribes in Manchuria and Russian Far East) and European traveller, but they did hunt Korean, Chinese, railroad worker, and hunter. However, I think Korean tiger was different. I remember I read a basic summary of western miners were afraid of walking at night in Korea due to tiger. Each provinces of Korea have a folktales of tiger attacks. The Siberian tiger in Korea was always have been dangerous to any sort of humans and they probably did not generalize any human. In Korea, habitat loss and lack of prey animal were extremely terrible during the japanese occupation. It was impossible for large mammalian carnivores to survive in small Korean peninsula.

If japanese just wiped out the the Siberian tiger, the Amur leopard, the brown bear, moon bears, the grey wolf, and the Siberian lynx along with human. Then they were better. Unfortunately, they even destroyed marine environment of northeastern Asia. The biggest Zalophus (sea lion) was also lived in Korea. Korean calling them Dokdo sea lion, but entire world is calling them as japanese sea lion even though japanese wiped them out. The biggest specimen of Dokdo sea lion was a male lived in 1920s ~ 1930s killed by japanese. He was something like 2.9 m long, 310 cm over chest, and more than 700 kg. The biggest Zalophus ever lived far as known. Many different livestock breed of like cow and dog breed were also slaughtered by jap for food and fur. I think Korean biologists are trying to restored them. But it is impossible for the Korean tiger, Korean leopard, grey wolf, and Dokdo sea lion.
This is why great United States deserved huge respect for dropped atomic bombs and educated japanese.

And it wasn’t just Japanese. Western European countries like british, french, german, and American also destroyed tremendous wildlife in all over the world during 1800s to 1900s. I don’t know how many of poor Bengal tigers in India were murdered by British during British empire. My Indian friend told me British over hunted prey animals like a deer and gaur. That is why there were many man eating tiger in India during that time along with human population growth in India and development in India. We have more serious problem today. The most dangerous problem is overpopulation. My professor is doing research in Indonesia and Malaysia. He told me Indonesia doesn’t control birth due to islam religion. Burning rainforest for palm oil is very famous. Human population growth and burning forest were exactly what happened in Korea since 500 years ago. The Sumatran tiger and other animals of Indonesia are exactly facing what happened in Korea. It is the same for Central and South America country due to their Catholic religion. We all know situation of Africa. One of my professor emeritus in my university (He is like 70s years old and well known great biologist), he said he could still remember how much humans were destroyed the Earth from his memory of travelling during 1970s to 2010s by airplane. The UNICEF estimates that an average of 353,000 babies are born each day around the world. Human is increasing and keep invading animal’s habitat. How should we save animal and nature unless the Earth was big as Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune?

I will write more details on the Korean tiger in the future. I don’t have time these days.
Greetings to all.
2 users Like Greatearth's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris) - Greatearth - 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:36 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 02:22 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 01:01 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:07 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:57 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 11:25 PM