There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2015, 04:27 PM by peter )

TIGERS AND BEARS IN RUSSIA TODAY - PART II

1 - BROWN BEAR SIZE

We know (referring to the table Guate recently posted in this thread and the info of Kucherenko on the size of Amur brown bears) that Amur brown bears are large animals. The average weight of adult males in both tables ranges between 260-270 kg. In adult females, it's a bit confusing. Kucherenko says 192 kg., whereas new research (posted by Guate) says 145 kg.

One reason for the differences reported could be individual variation, which is more outspoken in brown bears than in big cats. Not surprising, as we know individual variation is more pronounced in big mammals and brown bears are larger than big cats. A Chinese poster posted reliable weight of some females weighed in the north-eastern part of China (Manchuria). They ranged between 280-360 kg. I also read a report of Kaplanov. A female brown bear with two cubs killed by a tigress was estimated at 80-100 kg. Huge difference with 360, that is. 

With 'larger', by the way, I mean heavier for now. Not longer per se, as brown bears are measured 'over contours', as opposed to 'between pegs'. What is the difference between both methods in brown bears? Well, I wouldn't know about Amur brown bears, but I found a few tables on American brown bears. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

This table shows the average difference between both method ('contours' and 'pegs') in animals of 5 year and over is 32,2 cm. (n = 55). Is there a difference between American and Amur brown bears in this respect? We don't know, but I do know Kucherenko said the average for Amur brown bears (males) males was 196,0 cm. Assuming he was referring to 'contour length', I get to no difference at all. 

Is that all on length and body dimensions regarding Amur brown bears? Yes. But no worry, as I found this table on brown bears in north-eastern Siberia. Not indicative for Amur brown bears as different region, but it's better than nothing.

What do we see? We see more individual variation and more large animals in north-eastern Siberia. We also see a different relation between body length and weight in that the Russians, although larger, show lower weights. More athletic animals, that is. Long-distance walkers perhaps, but I would go for less food and more difficult conditions:  

Is there regional variation in brown bears and if so, to what extent? The answer is there is a lot of regional variation and the extent is considerable. In North-America, that. is. For lack of better, we have to assume it wouldn't be much different in Russia. This is a table with regional variation in North-America.

Anything else on size and body dimensions? Yes. I found this chart on the relation between chest and weight for McLeod Lake grizzly bears. If we use it for the table on brown bears in north-eastern Russia, we can get an idea of the average weight of males over there. The weight in good conditions, I mean:

I propose to leave it at that for Amur brown bears with the conclusion that they are large. Not as large as those in the north-western part of Canada and the north-eastern coast of Russia, but large they are. Males average 196 cm. 'over contours' and about 160-170 cm. 'between pegs'. Average weight 260-270 kg. for males and 145 kg. for females, but the real average for females (according to Kucherenko) could be higher. We also know individual variation is much more outspoken than in big cats. Size, in brown bears, depends on region, conditions, age and individuals. When we add length, we can conclude brown bears, compared to big cats, are shorter, but much more massive.   

2 - HIMALAYAN BLACK BEARS

There are different regional types. Those in the north of India and west are large, with 400 pounds and well over for males every now and then. Those in the south-east (Vietnam) are even larger. In India, Himalayan black bears, and males in particular, are not on the menu of tigers in the south. Tigers hunt females and immatures, like the 2-3 year old male recently found killed by a male tiger in northern India, but it doesn't happen often. Too big.

In the northern part of Asia, Himalayan black bears are smaller. Here's a table of Bromley, which shows these bears are a bit smaller than an average Sumatran tiger (skulls). Again watch the individual variation:   

Some male bears are much larger than an average and, according to recent information, feel completely at home in tiger country, including harassment of tigresses and kleptocratic behaviour at tiger kills.

Here's a few photographs of hunters. Watch the angles. The last of the three is Valery Jankowski:

To finish with, a few more of Amur brown bears. The first one is captive (San Diego Zoo, I thought). The second is a collection of camera-trap photographs (south-eastern Russia):

3 - BROWN BEAR DISTRIBUTION AND DENSITY IN SOUTH-EAST RUSSIA

a - Distribution

b - Density (south-east Russia at the bottom of the table - Chabarowsk, Amur and Primorye)

c - Amur tiger distribution again (2011)

4 - POCOCK ON AMUR BROWN BEAR SKULLS

5 - PHOTOGRAPHS AND TABLES

Most photographs used for this post were first posted by former AVA-posters Grahh and Warsaw. Grahh has his own bear-forum (Shaggy God) and you probably find Warsaw there as well.
5 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - peter - 07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM