There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2015, 01:45 AM by peter )

LARGE INDIAN TIGRESSES

Although most adult Indian tigresses in good health range between 100-150 kg., some are well over that mark. Although I'm not sure, my guess is the tigresses in this post all are at least 140 kg. Some, like tigress Safeda (no. 9), were close in size to an average adult male.

What we see in males is roughly confirmed in females. In the north and northwest, tigresses often are long, tall and large-skulled. Those in central India, although not as large, seem to be more muscular. Kazirangha tigresses and those in adjoining reserves are a bit different in that they quite often have an oversized skull. Although the typical features described above can be found anywhere in India, some types dominate in certain regions.

Apart from the tigresses in this post, I saw a number of documentaries in which large tigresses featured. Some of them (often man-eaters) were measured. Not one was shorter than 8.8 in a straight line. Although they were not weighed, I estimated some of them to range between 150-180 kg. In the next months, the videos I have will be transferred to other media. I hope to post the results in autumn or so.

The aim of this post is to illustrate that India, in spite of the low numbers and the lack of gene flow, still produces tigresses well exceeding 350 pounds at times. The 177-kg. (391 pounds) tigress in southwest India (see U. Karanth) most certainly wasn't the largest and heaviest I saw. Exceptional females seem to be typical for India, not other regions. Some females in southeast Asia might approach or even exceed 9 feet straight and 300 pounds, but the only place where a large tigress could get to 400 pounds (181,44 kg.) or slightly over is India.

Wild Amur tigresses, like Amur males, are a bit longer than Indian tigresses, but they, as a rule, are not as heavy. The main reason, of course, is a depleted prey base. If we include captive animals in the equasion, we could say they should get close to Indian females in good conditions. My guess, however, is they most probably won't get to the weight of large Indian females even then. The reason is sexual dimorphism in Amur tigers is more outspoken than in Indian tigers. I've seen large Amur females, but they're never even approaching an average male in robustness. Not so in Indian tigresses. I know of more than one Indian tigress exceeding 160 kg. in captivity.      

I've measured some skulls of large captive tigresses. Amur tigresses have slightly longer skulls, but Indian tigresses have slightly more robust skulls as a rule (captive animals only). Same as in males, that is. Although many limit the maximum length of females in both subspecies to about 320,00 mm., J.H. Mazak measured a skull of a wild Amur tigress that was 329,00 mm. in greatest total length. Apart from that, I found reliable evidence of skulls of wild Indian tigresses that were similar in length. Most adult females (both subspecies), depending on sample size and sample, range between 290,00-305,00 mm.  

1 - Bandhavgar

This is a sedated tigress. A large animal with long and robust legs:

*This image is copyright of its original author

2 - Faizabad (United Provinces)

This photograph was posted some years ago on different animal forums. The tigress, a confirmed man-eater, was shot in February 2009. Her right front paw was damaged and many thought this was the reason she had started hunting humans. They were probably right, as the damage was considerable. This would have impeded the tigress when hunting. The tigress had a large skull and no doubt was well over average in many other respects as well:

3 - Kazirangha

There's something strange about tigers in Kazirangha, Orange, Manas and other reserves in northeast India. I don't know if they are as large as many think, but they do seem to have a different skull. More rounded, heavier and relatively large. This tigress, skullwise, isn't different from many others: 

4 - Kazirangha

This tigress was poisoned. It was a large and heavy animal:

5 - Kazirangha

Although the photograph is a bit deceptive, there's no doubt this tigress also was a large animal:

6 - Kazirangha

Another heavy-skulled and muscular tigress:

7 - Kazirangha

Same comment as in no. 6:  

8 - Central India

This is tigress Banseri. She has to be close to the perfect tigress:

9 - Central India

Tigress Safeda was so large, they mistook her for a male:

4 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - TIGERS (Panthera tigris) - peter - 05-03-2015, 01:34 AM
Demythologizing T16 - tigerluver - 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-28-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 07-29-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - peter - 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM
Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Pckts - 09-04-2014, 01:52 AM
RE: Tiger recycling bin - Roflcopters - 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 11-15-2014, 11:03 PM
RE: Tiger Data Bank - Apollo - 02-19-2015, 10:55 PM