There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lynx

Sweden StefanC Offline

(02-16-2019, 04:44 PM)eagleman Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:23 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:42 PM)eagleman Wrote: Eurasian Lynxes from my country, this is the largest lynxes from Europe : Lynx lynx carpathicus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvpHyfviY4

Are you sure they are bigger than the scandinavian ones? Biggest in apperance I’ve seen on pictures are lynxes at the border between Sweeden and Norway.

Hello!
I am pretty sure about it. The wilderness of Carpathians and the abundance of large prey favoure this. This is, for example, a male carpathian lynx

(02-16-2019, 06:38 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 04:44 PM)eagleman Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 11:23 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:42 PM)eagleman Wrote: Eurasian Lynxes from my country, this is the largest lynxes from Europe : Lynx lynx carpathicus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvpHyfviY4

Are you sure they are bigger than the scandinavian ones? Biggest in apperance I’ve seen on pictures are lynxes at the border between Sweeden and Norway.

Hello!
I am pretty sure about it. The wilderness of Carpathians and the abundance of large prey favoure this. This is, for example, a male carpathian lynx
After what people have told me it shouldn’t be the case, plenty of prey in Scandinavia too. I don’t think there is much difference, but was just interested in where you had herd this, or if it was a theroy? 
These are some Scandinavian lynxes. these look bigger than the Carpathians one imo. One of these was a giant 34 kg Lynx 

*This image is copyright of its original author

I have no doubt that Lynxes from Carpathia can reach the +25kg mark. You have to remember though that the massive 34kg animal above is the only officially confirmed Lynx >30kg in mass that I have seen documented. There are reports of Lynxes close to 40kg from Siberia but no official confirmation.

This male animal was actually put on a scale by the Swedish SVA authority and confirmed to weigh at least 34kg. It was skinned at the time with a lot of body fat removed.

It was part of the Scandinavian Lynx population and this particular animal was probably responsible for quite a bit of damage to the reindeer herding of the Sami people around that area at that time. But it is the only one out of perhaps 2500 Lynxes ever put on a scale by SVA and they hardly ever even come close to 28 kg. There were, if I remember correctly, a few that were in the 25 to 28 kg range, maybe a handful. Less than five animals.

Bergman's rule might play a part here, although I doubt it. More likely it is the result of plenty of available prey and going undetected for a long time.

As far as I understand it, the Carpathian population and the Scandinavian population are all parts of the same large Eurasian Lynx population, distinct from the Iberian (and Turkish populations lets say .. yes there is a Turkish one too apparently). There might be animals in Carpathia that come close to 30 kg, at least there should be potential for it to happen.

I would speculate that it is a question of food availability. Bears from the inner parts of Alaska are perhaps of 50 kg weight, whereas the ones living close to the coast with plenty of Salmon, other mammals plus berries, can reach +500 kg. Bears in Scandinavia hardly ever reach 350 kg.

The inner and upper parts of Scandinavia has both Roe-deer (their favorite food) and Moose, but Roe-deer are sparse there, Red-deer practically nonexistent, while Moose are a bit too large, unless the snow-cover is very thick (they occasionally go after Moose but it is rare) .. but there are plenty of Reindeer. Reindeer are smaller that Red-deer but larger than Roe-deer and also quite stupid. They are essentially morons with hoofs.

In Carpathia, as far as I understand, there are no prey animals equivalent to Reindeer. The only proxy for Reindeer are Red-deer, and they are quite a bit more wary and careful than their stupid cousins.

I would not rule out a massive +30 kg Lynx from Carpathia though.

Just my thoughts.

[edit]: just figured out the edit options and hopefully managed to produce a readable post.
5 users Like StefanC's post

Sweden StefanC Offline

Just my personal opinion; but I think the Iberian Lynx is the most gorgeous one. The Eurasian one is quite a bit larger and can look stunning .. but the Iberian one has all the proportions just right.

The north american sub-species are nowhere near as pleasing to the eye as the European ones, but the Iberian one wins the beauty contest for me.

That is one gorgeous cat.
3 users Like StefanC's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Canadian lynx killing a white tail deer

4 users Like Sully's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2019, 10:36 PM by Shadow )

From Norway, 2018. Lynxes and wolverine recorded at same place. There is a fight between (handsome) male lynx and wolverine from 0:50 to 1:00. Wolverine flees and proud triumphiant lynx can be seen when he comes to rest :) Slightly limping, but in last scene shortly after that fight footage no limping.

6 users Like Shadow's post

Switzerland Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Tombstone territorial Park (Arizona).

2 users Like Spalea's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Abstract

The role that apex predators play in ecosystem functioning, disease regulation and biodiversity maintenance is increasingly debated. However, the positive impacts of their presence in terrestrial ecosystems, particularly in human-dominated landscapes, remain controversial. Limited experimental insights regarding the consequences of apex predator recoveries may be behind such controversy and may also impact on the social acceptability towards the recovery of these species. Using a quasi-experimental design and state-of-the-art density estimates, we show that mesopredator abundances were reduced after the restoration of an apex predator, with evidence of resonating positive impacts on lower trophic levels. Iberian lynx Lynx pardinus reintroduction was followed by the reduction of the abundance of mesocarnivores (red foxes Vulpes vulpes and Egyptian mongooses Herpestes ichneumon by ca. 80%) and the recovery of small game of high socio-economic value (European rabbits Oryctolagus cuniculus and red-legged partridges Alectoris rufa). The observed mesopredator reduction resulted in an estimated 55.6% less rabbit consumption for the entire carnivore guild. Our findings have important implications for the social acceptability of Iberian lynx reintroductions, which crucially depend on the perception of private land owners and managers. Under certain circumstances, restoring apex predators may provide a sustainable and ethically acceptable way to reduce mesopredator abundances.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar...0719310092
2 users Like Sully's post

Wildanimal Lover

Clearly the biggest "pound for pound" paws among the felids !

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

A lynx chasing after a hare of snow... Short but very quick race.

Wildanimal Lover

About #52: clearly the main problem with the Astagram photos, how many time do they last ? If the photograph decides to close his account, his contribution will be lost... You will say "is internet disappears, all will be lost", true of course !

I don't find back the photo through google search. I remind a "grey lynx " walking on the snow seen front view. Something like this but with the shot increasing ever more his front paws...

Wildanimal Lover

About #52: I find back the missing photo, the Canada lynx's huge paws ! This photo is really impressive to show that. I complete with the author's annotation:
" Look at those giant paws?The Canada Lynx is known for having huge paws that allows it to run with ease on deep snow  "

Wildanimal Lover

Always a Canadian lynx photo... This specy is native to Alaska and Canada.

Wildanimal Lover

Mother lynx and her two cubs.
" Iberian lynxes have amazing eyesight and can spot a mouse even from a distance of 250 feet. ".

Wildanimal Lover

Lynx couple in Spain...

Wildanimal Lover

Can we consider the caracal as the African lynx ?

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Amit Eshel: " An unforgettable moments from last year with a wild Canada Lynx who were completely relaxed with my presence. "