There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-08-2014, 12:45 AM by tigerluver )

The 235 kg average has no basis, as Guate confirmed. The specimens we have average around 300 kg in my report, albeit there is a significant difference between the 470 kg specimen (even though there are 7 fossils, this one is an outlier) and the other two males estimated in 270-320 kg range specimens. Don't get too confused by the difference the numbers Guate and I give, it's due to myself using some extra measurements of the fossils I took myself and my own equations from databases in my area. Point is that 235 kg is much too low no matter which way you look at it. 

Here's a summary of all mass estimates from my database. Greatest mass in parenthesis.

At the moment, off length dimensions only, the ranks are as follows:
1. Ngandong tiger - Femoral length (409 kg)
2. Cromerian lion - Ulna Length (400 kg)
3. American lion - Femoral Length (350 kg)
3. Cave lion was the same size as the modern lion in this measurement
4. Smilodon populator was the same size as the modern lion and tiger in this measurement

Off width dimensions only:
1. Ngandong tiger - Femoral DAW (531 kg)
2. American lion - Femoral DAW (500 kg)
3. Smilodon populator - Humeral DAP (497 kg)
4. Cromerian lion - no width dimensions available for largest specimen, although femur data shows a species with slightly thinner bones than the modern lion
5. Cave lion - Slightly larger than modern lion

Taking into all measurements:
1. Ngandong tiger (470 kg)
2. Smilodon populator (440 kg)
3. American lion (415 kg)
4. Cromerian lion (400 kg)
5. Cave lion (272 kg)

Previously, I was under the assumption that P. atrox was a bit smaller than P. fossilis. But after comparing diameters, the largest of P, atrox (450 mm of massive DAW=120 mm), edges P. fossilis.

In terms of length measurements, all species are assumed to be as dense as tigers. In terms of width, only the Ngandong tiger was given an only tiger database for estimation, as tiger's are slender boned for their density. Smilodon was shared with bears. The "lions" were based on a mix of tigers and modern lions.

5 users Like tigerluver's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Freak Felids - A Discussion of History's Largest Felines - tigerluver - 12-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Sabertoothed Cats - brotherbear - 06-11-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Sabertoothed Cats - peter - 06-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Ancient Jaguar - brotherbear - 01-04-2018, 12:15 AM