There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siberian tigers & Amur leopards Photography tours! Come to discover wild Russia!

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 02:25 AM by peter )

(12-03-2018, 08:20 AM)Olga.bohai Wrote: Come to discover wild Russia with us! Unique reserves & National parks of the Russian Far East.

Bohai Tour is the only tour operator in Russia which provides photography tours for Amur leopards & Siberian tigers in a wild! 

This is not a safari park, this is real Siberian taiga!

We have exclusive agreements with the parks and reserves of Primorsky krai and photography is done from different hides depending on tour type. 

Read more on our website http://www.bohaitour.com or write us to ask for more info [email protected] or DM.

We are in Instagram @wildrussiantour

Many thanks for the info, Olga Krasnykh. The agency is a great initiative. Offering an interesting trip in Wild Russia including Amur tigers and leopards is quite something in itself. If we add both guides, I can only get to very special. Not one agency in the world has one Dersu, let alone two. I need to talk to them. I hope you'll attract enough customers to carry on for a very long time to come! 

RESPONSE TO THE CATALOGUE

I downloaded and printed the catalogue. Only one I ever read and liked. I take the printed version everywhere I go (...).

This is what those who saw it told me: 

1 - Long flight.
2 - Costly affair for a tour of 8-9 days only. 
3 - Visum.
4 - You might get tired.   
5 - No additional tropical attractions to recover from the ordeal of possibly meeting a wild leopard or tiger.
6 - No real interest in the natural world.
7 - Politics. Over here, the western anti-anything campaign affected many.  

I'll keep trying. You never know, but based on what I heard and know, chances are that I'll be the only one really interested in the end.

ME

As you only joined the forum a few weeks ago, I'll introduce myself. You might have noticed that I'm very interested in the natural world in general and wild tigers in particular. All in all, I've been quite active in that I interviewed trainers, measured and weighed captive big cats and also measured skulls in natural history museums. About 4 years ago, I started WildFact with Sanjay. 

NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUMS AND TIGER SKULLS

The natural history museums I visited have no skulls of wild Caspian and Russian tigers. As for articles: I've yet to read an article in which skulls of wild Caspian and Amur tigers are discussed at length. Apart from one exception, I never saw any measurements either. For this reason, I decided to measure skulls of Caspian and Amur tigers myself. This is where problems start. Here they are:

1 - Access. In Europe, I know people. In Russia, I don't. I need someone to open a few doors.

2 - Formal training. I have a Ph.D, but not in biology. In European natural history museums, it's no problem. You need permission from the conservator, but that's about it. Could be different in Russia.  

3 - Assistence. In a European museum, I can work on my own. In Russia, I need someone to assist me all the time. The reason is I'm not able in Russian. Information about skulls is as important as measuring them.

4 - Equipment. When I get permission, I need scales. If the museum has good (digital) scales, I'll use them. If not, I have to bring my own scales. Transporting the wooden case (72 x 28 cm.) made for that purpose isn't easy. I don't want it treated as cargo, as too risky (scales are expensive). 

PROPOSAL

If you can open a few doors, I can combine a Bohai-tour (not photographs, but trekking or canoeing) with a visit to a natural history museum. 

TIME NEEDED IN THE NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM

I can do about 15-20 skulls a day, so 75-100 a week. I want to measure as many skulls as possible. I need a cheap hotel nearby, as I pay for everything myself.

The measurements and photographs can be used to write a paper. I could do it with Tigerluver, one of our mods. He graduated in Biology. WildFact could publish it, but I don't mind if it would be adapted and published by a Russian biologist or the museum. 

WHEN

I was thinking about (late) autumn next year or spring 2020.

Winter is out. Here's why. Real winters left this part of the world some time ago. They were replaced by low pressure fronts from the Atlantic. Remnants of severe storms, they are. One after another. Month after month, day after day. Wind, clouds and rain. Lots of it. Healthwise, cold rain is way more destructive than subzero temperatures and sun. Every winter, millions are badly affected by 'winter' over here.

I try to keep fit (kayak and things like that), but young age left me quite some time ago and never returned, leaving me out in the bloody dark. Meanwhile, I adapted meaning I turned both tropical and waterproof. To a degree, of course. This means I need time to get rid of the moisture after every 'winter'. 

I don't know if I'll be able to function in a real winter, that is. I don't mind perishing while measuring Amur tiger skulls, but I do mind cracking to subzero pieces on a freezing attic. 

Another problem is money. Flight, hotel, tour, food, another flight and anything in between means many thousands of dollars. I need time to collect it, that is. About a year or so, I reckon.  

TO CONCLUDE

See what you can do. If it works out, we'll meet in about a year from now. If it doesn't, no problem. Thanks for the effort anyway,

Peter.
7 users Like peter's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Siberian tigers & Amur leopards Photography tours! Come to discover wild Russia! - peter - 12-07-2018, 02:03 AM