There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of cats found in india

bigcatlover Offline

India, the only country in the world to have all the three prime members of big cat family, The Lion, The Tiger and the Leopard makes India one of the major attraction for the wildlife lover across the globe. This blog article is concentrating to give more specific information about all the big cats’ species found in India.

Cats Species in India

1. Lion (Asiatic Lion)
  2. Tiger
  3. Leopard
  4. Snow Leopard
  5. Clouded Leopard
  6. The Jungle Cat
  7. The Golden Cat
  8. Leopard Cat
  9. Marbled Cat
  10. Desert Cat
  11. The Lynx
  12. The Caracal
  13. Pallas Cat
  14. Fishing cat
  15. Rusty spotted cat
3 users Like bigcatlover's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

I found this comparative image in the web:

*This image is copyright of its original author

It have all the Indian cats, from the magnificent Tiger to the minuscule Rusty-spotted cat, the largest and smallest cats on Earth, respectively. Happy
5 users Like GuateGojira's post

bigcatlover Offline

Hopefully we get to see the asiatic cheetah also in india that would make it a hotspot for wild cats
2 users Like bigcatlover's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 02:25 PM by BorneanTiger )

See this photo of India's 2 biggest cat species together in captivity, it looks almost natural, barring the fence: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-zoos-ci...#pid112677
1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

India Hello Offline

(04-01-2020, 02:25 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: See this photo of India's 2 biggest cat species together in captivity, it looks almost natural, barring the fence: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-zoos-ci...#pid112677

IMO they seem to be Afro-Asiatic hybrids.I can see African on their face,mane and body and this report says 271 kg for the male and 160 kg for female

https://www.deccanherald.com/content/643170/lion-picture.html
1 user Likes Hello's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2020, 11:50 AM by GuateGojira )

(04-01-2020, 03:51 PM)Hello Wrote: IMO they seem to be Afro-Asiatic hybrids.I can see African on their face,mane and body and this report says 271 kg for the male and 160 kg for female

I have my serious doubts about those weights, it seems to large for Asiatic lions, speciallly in captivity. Although the article is from 2017, we must remember that in 2009 an article about the weight of captive tigers and lions in Indian Zoos was published by Sadanand D Sontakke and others. In that document they used lions from the Bannerghatta Biological Park, Bangalore, Karnataka (the original place of this lion) and in the final sample of 22 males (2 male lions of that park included) the heaviest was of 180 kg, in the investigations of other posters here had not found any Asiatic male lions, in "first world" country zoos, weighing more than 200 kg.

It will be perfect to confirm those weights, but like the investigations of Shadow had showed, most of the time the figures reported in news articles are not correct.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

India Hello Offline

(04-28-2020, 11:49 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:51 PM)Hello Wrote: IMO they seem to be Afro-Asiatic hybrids.I can see African on their face,mane and body and this report says 271 kg for the male and 160 kg for female

I have my serious doubts about those weights, it seems to large for Asiatic lions, speciallly in captivity. Although the article is from 2017, we must remember that in 2009 an article about the weight of captive tigers and lions in Indian Zoos was published by Sadanand D Sontakke and others. In that document they used lions from the Bannerghatta Biological Park, Bangalore, Karnataka (the original place of this lion) and in the final sample of 22 males (2 male lions of that park included) the heaviest was of 180 kg, in the investigations of other posters here had not found any Asiatic male lions, in "first world" country zoos, weighing more than 200 kg.

It will be perfect to confirm those weights, but like the investigations of Shadow had showed, most of the time the figures reported in news articles are not correct.
I think those weights are just attention grabbers and article says ''AROUND''  271 KG which is more likely an estimate.