There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Jaguar capable of killing big crocodiles ?

Canada DinoFan83 Offline

(10-29-2019, 04:30 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 04:10 AM)DinoFan83 Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 03:55 AM)Pckts Wrote: 1: Trust me, when you go through the Black River, you see 100s of giant caiman, they aren't rare. Caimans are literally everywhere in the Pantanal, they're the equivalent of Chital in India or Wildebeest in Africa and they are by far the most preyed on animal by Jaguars.
2: In regards to size hunted by Jaguar, it's more to do about opportunity, when Jags hunt they swim and stalk through dense Bush, the second they see anything move they pounce, while I'm sure they prefer smaller easier prey to some extent it certainly doesnt stop them from hunting anything they can get a hold of.

1: That is true. But from what we know and see they take small caimans the vast, vast, vast majority of the time.
2: I would think that it's rather easy to ambush a similar sized or slightly larger caiman among the weeds

Where are you getting "small caiman majority of the time?"
You really should look through the Jaguar predation thread, most caiman preyed on are good sized animals, definitely not what I'd consider small.
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-jaguar-predation

A lot of those caimans look similar to or smaller in weight than the jaguars. Maybe it's just me, but I'm trying to look at what both might weigh and not visual size

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Jaguar capable of killing big crocodiles ? - DinoFan83 - 10-29-2019, 06:01 AM