There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Jaguar capable of killing big crocodiles ?

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 10:59 AM by Rage2277 )

(07-23-2020, 07:36 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 05:45 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Shadow that is why I left out the possibility that a big male from an area like los Llanos or Pantanal would be able to get the job done within land.

The most impressive feat by a jaguar on a crocodilian recorded is the already mentioned case of an Amazonian jaguar killing a 3,8 meter black caiman:

*This image is copyright of its original author

My guess is that most crocodilians are helpless in land because their nape and skull are completely exposed, and as you said they can't do much in terms of agility to fend of a dexterous animal like a big cat, out of which the jaguar is one of the felids with the most developed grappling abilities. If a large male can get on top of the crocodile and lock itself into the crocodile's nape there is little the reptile can do to fend it off, it may take a long for the kill to get done depending on the size of the crocodile but in my opinion the big cat would have the upper hand in the long run.

One of the reasons why we haven't seen much cases of interspecific conflict between Llanos jaguars and Orinoco crocodiles is due to the fact that latter has been subject to major hunting pressure and its numbers are very low nowadays despite conservation efforts. I'm sure that in previous centuries when those crocodiles were plentiful fights between the two must have unfolded but went unrecorded.

What I find interesting is, that (at least some) lions flip crocodiles over and then use throat bite. 

13,6 ft (4,15 meters) crocodile with throat bite marks, killed by lion.

a lioness can kill a 12ft -13ft croc but that croc doesn't look that big if it is it's pretty slim and i'm trying to figure out how any feline would casually flip a 13ft croc to apply a throat bite 
This large crocodile had been killed and eaten by the resident lions in the area. Measuring 13ft 6″ is the length of a medium size fishing boat               this must be the same croc here
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Jaguar capable of killing big crocodiles ? - Rage2277 - 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM