There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good and Bad about WildFact - Need your suggestions

Brazil Matias Offline

Suggestions for the Wildfact.

When I first met this forum, I spent a few days reading about the existing content, what they commented on, as they commented, to see if I could provide and receive content. And my perception was that it was a forum for lay people, with many members who care and want to truly know about wildlife. It has good content and some of its members are devoted researchers. We know that strictly academic discussions occur at other addresses, but it is possible to have and obtain information on the same level as researchers and other stakeholders with academic roots. With the advent of technology in the last 20 years (videos, forum, open access scientific articles, social media, NGOs and Projects with their web pages, conservation and safaris websites, Blog and etc) made it possible for all to acquire larger and broader knowledge than those acquired in academic settings two decades ago.

Well, what I wanted to present to all of you is a matter of vision: conservationists, naturalists and all those interested in the environmental issue and the preservation of wild animals are interested in discussions that bring the reality of what we see and read out into the world. My goal is to help make this forum more interesting to the many people who would like to communicate and discuss the various conservation issues. I do not ask Wildfact to abandon his story, I ask him to expand his area of expertise. I'm sure there are many people who would like to find a place to read and comment on conservation topics in a forum that already has content they like. Studying and discussing conservation issues can be a good way for Wildfact to thrive.

There are numerous NGOs doing some formidable conservation work in Africa, such as TUSK Advancing Conservation Across Africa, Peace Parks Foundation, Wildlife Conservation Society - WCS, African Parks. Projects like the Ewaso Lions, the Niassa Carnivore Project, Greg Carr and his fantastic work at Gorongosa, Desert Lions Conservation, the Sahara Conservation Fund, among many others that seek to keep alive iconic species of the animal world (see how many conservation projects are dedicated to Cheetah). Let's also look at the conservation problems and success facing the thousands of national parks and protected areas around the world. Many of these works go unnoticed or are diluted in topics with non-specific, themes in an unorganized / didactic way. What I mean by that is that a whole dynamic of events that of course interests everyone are having little reach. Models, methods and results of conservation policies are hardly discussed here. Numerous conservation portals (journalism) disseminate interesting news on environmental issues, ecology, habitat, subsistence poaching, commercial poaching (ivory, rhino horns, bones, claws and skin of big cats), trafficking, deforestation (livestock, mining, timber),
animal relocation / reintroduction, political actions, legislative decrees ... Mongabay, Africa Geographic, Africa Sustainable Conservation, News24 ... not forgetting the notable Plos One, Nature, Science Advances...

I will insist on this, from another perspective.

Let us see: to know which was the largest lion that ever existed, if the tiger of Assam is larger and heavier than the Terai tiger. If skull A is larger than skull B, if animal A wins a fight over animal B. These are issues that are important within an analytical view, where only a few here really understand how to put those issues in their proper ecological places, environmental and evolutionary. Analogies would be welcome on all these issues. The vast majority of members worship the coalitions of great lions at Sabi Sands, but it seems to me that no one questioned or wished to know the reasons causes of the existence of these great coalitions in this specific territory, concentrating on sensational aspects of violence and thet taking of power. Focusing on lions as an ecosystemic "umbrella", Kruger National Park possibly possesses the largest wild lions population in the world, with about 1600. With the exception of the Kavango-Zambeze TFCA, the lion strongholds of Selous, Niassa, Serengeti-Mara, Kagalagadi, Ruaha (including Rungwa, Kisigo and other hunting areas adjacent) are counted lower or slightly higher than 1000 lions - poaching is charging its price. Kruger is a park that has a very competent professional management. All ecosystem management is governed with deep zeal. Since 1995 he has not slaughtered more elephants to contain their numbers. The herbivores and their functional classifications: Grazers, navigators and mixed, provides to know their dispersion within the park, biological function and environmental impact. The Roano and Zibelina antelopes (hippotragus equinus and niger) have their numbers very low. If we study the implications of artificial wells (waterhole) for animals, it is understood that their quantitative, location, distance between them, has a profound impact on the dispersion, density, location and quantification of herbivores and their predators. SANParks has a page presenting your work. Developing readings in these areas will provide stakeholders with an expressive gain in knowledge, and will enable Wildfact to present itself as a forum that multiplicity of facts where the conservation theme is fully discussed and presented.

The world is teeming with hot news and I would very much like to comment here. I do not have a lot of free time (I work from 9 to 10 hours a day), I also do not know how to use all the tools that the site provides to facilitate postings, but I am willing to help in whatever it takes to incorporate these themes into the forum. Moderators responsible for subjects on their topics could instigate forists to be more proactive in their posts. Encouraging them to make comments, explanations, questions when they only insert photographs. Whenever possible, the foristas should provide the name of the author of the photograph instead of mentioning "This image is copyright of its original authorl", as well as the link to access the image (every image is in a context). I recently read an old magazine from the 60s about mountain gorillas, the photos were taken by an Agency (Keystone). Another thing, it is possible that some have doubts of exposing their thoughts, and their ideas are labeled of simple anecdotes, and thus, they feel more comfortable to insert photos and make small comments. Every forum has a culture - nothing written or directed - but it is felt, it is perceived, and so it is followed by its members as on a scale of values and many just follow the routine of the forum. I have seen many good posts with explanatory content where almost nobody appreciated it and in the next post containing only photographs receive numerous "Likes". There are many who find photos more interesting than a written post. Not that there is anything wrong with Wildfact, but most of its members do not carry luggage and we need to do something to change that. A great example of how to bring luggage can enrich the forum is the arrival of @Rishi, the quality of their posts, their dedication, bringing content to discussions, in providing quality information is indisputable. Another member that I respect very much for the quality of their positions is @peter. Expanding the discussion area can be instrumental in attracting new members and providing current members with a greater variety of knowledge. As has already been said here: improve the quality department. That's my intention !

To conclude, I would like to say that I am not an expert in the forum, there are many topics that I do not know. So I hope are not expressing my ideas in an invasive way and committing injustices to our forum. How to put new subjects in the forum is important, it requires strategies of approach and placement of themes, as well as it is necessary that the subjects are commented until acquiring a culture of value. It is difficult to propose changes, uncertainties are real, and undertaking new paths causes many to leave their comfort zone. The large number of daily posts is a result of your success. I agree with all who wish to reorganize some topics that are gigantic, since with rare exceptions some will read everything that was posted on a certain subject. Many good information is lost on the first few pages. The information could be more dynamic, and in a didactic way, the oldest could become "librarian" content. Those who started Wildfact know how hard it was to make it ... even harder is to change something that is working. I hope I have used the right tone. It is desirable to develop and format new topics and call new members more connected with the real issues of the animal world.
7 users Like Matias's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Good and Bad about WildFact - Need your suggestions - Matias - 09-11-2018, 12:02 AM