There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Through the floods of the Sabi river
kinky Tail

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Mapogo Fathers, the "West Street" males and their nicknames @ Londolozi:

"Londoz 5" aka West Street/Sparta males were also known as Blondie, Nick, Two-Tones, Myth & Speckles...

5 users Like fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Mr.T, Makhulu and Rasta feeding on their fully grown giraffe kill
photo by g.mc call-peat

3 users Like fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Pretty Boy vs Mr T vs Lioness 
Shows the Hierarchy between Mapogos in 2011. Mr T the most Dominant than Makhulu and then Pretty Boy aka bent spine...

Two of Mapogo, Mr T and Bent spine had a fight that left (Bent spine) with wounded front paw the day before the video was captured.On this video you notice the boys ignored the fact that the females have young cubs and cannot mate, they each got a lioness and kept them hostage, they wouldn't let the girls near the carcass because there was another male (Makhulu) feeding. Mr T made one mistake and........
You strike a Woman, you strike a Rock (Originating from a traditional Zulu saying, women of various races sang this during the years of anti-pass demonstrations)
Now the Ximhungwe lionesses are saying enough is enough to Mr T. Now you have touched the lioness you have dislodged the boulder you will be crushed.
by Khimbini hlongwane

2 users Like fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Handsome, Proud and Brutal Lion King of Sabi Sands
The Mohawk Mapogo MR T

Pc karin Van Der Merve

1 user Likes fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-31-2019, 08:09 PM by fursan syed )

Mapogo Mr T

1 user Likes fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Ximungwe cub sired by the Mapogos.

Photo Credit: Greg Coates

Big Cats Enthusiast

The Last Remaining Sand River Male is surprising everyone
April 12, 2009

Since the demise of the Sand River Pride at the beginning of the year, the one remaining young male seems to be hanging in there.
I have been holding off for a while on commenting on this situation until we had an understanding of which way this was going to go.
The one remaining Sand River Male has been surviving on a meager diet of tortoises, rodents and smaller game which he has been managing to catch. He has been spending most of his time in the old territory, but also venturing further east which is territory held by the Ottawa Pride. It was a matter of time before he was going to run into them, and this indeed happened not too long ago, the events that followed have not only amazed us, but have also once again showed proved that there are no rules written in stone.
On the morning in question, the young Sand River Male inadvertently wondered quite deep into Ottawa Territory and literally head first into the Ottawa Pride themselves. The two adult females of the Ottawa Pride, and some of their juveniles immediately set upon him, and we were convinced he was going to be killed. Amazingly he didn‘t back down, instead he lay on his back in a posture of submission and took the onslaught. Then the incredible happened, one of the Large Male Lions from the Mapogo Coalition arrived on the scene and drove the Ottawa females off and lay down next to the Sand River Male, as if to protect him. Every time the Ottawa Females tried to approach the young Male and attack him they were driven off by the Large Male. This continued for a while until the Ottawa Pride moved off, followed by the Large Male, and yes you guessed it, the young Sand River Male tagged along behind at a respectful distance.
A short time later, the Ottawa females managed to bring down an Impala, and once they had made the kill, were immediately driven off by the Mapogo Male who would not allow any of them close to the kill, except the young Sand River Male. Although he did not feed on the kill while this amazing situation was been observed, there was evidence later that he had managed to get some scraps off it. The Ottawa females later went on to kill a Wildebeest during the night and again there was evidence that the young make was still in the vicinity, and again has managed to gain some sustenance from the kill.
The question needs to be asked, why the Sand River Male is putting himself in danger by trying to gain entry into a Pride that he is not related to, and why is he being protected by one of the Mapogo Males. Firstly, he is the son of one of the Mapogo’s and this relationship will be realized, but history tells us that this is not justification of the Large Males behavior, as the Mapogo’s also fathered the Othawa juveniles as well. There could well be an element of desperation, and the survival instinct that is ever present has kicked in, overshadowing feelings for his own personal safety. I am not pretending to be an expert on these matters; I can only report behavior as we encounter it, and I am also sure everyone has their own personal theory as to what is going on here. I guess time will tell and we will keep you posted on the Sand River Males progress. I for one am routing for him, and hope he surprises us all by living a long and fruitful life, thereby in time, passing the Sand River genes on to future Prides within the Reserve.
The last time he was seen was a couple of nights ago, and although looking thinner that he should do, and once again, for the time being, on his own, he is still maintaining. There are very few people who would have given this particular Lion any odds on surviving on his own after the demise of his Pride, myself included. And although he is not out of the woods yet, there is a long hard road ahead for him, who are we to say that he won‘t make it, after all, he has surprised us all thus far, and best we not forget, it is Sand River Blood that is flowing through his veins!!
Written by Duncan Rodgers
For more on this sad story read 

http://www.africam.com/wildlife/the_sand_river_pride

Photo Credit Unknown

Big Cats Enthusiast

Aggressive Rasta The Third Mlowathi Mapogo Dominating His Elder brother Big Mak and his twin brother Pretty Boy for Lioness.

6 users Like fursan syed's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Some very interesting views of Senior Field Guide at Inyati Game Lodge Mr Khimbini Hlongwane about Mr T of Mapogo Coalition. The persistence Bully among his brothers  Lol

United States Haymaker Offline
Banned

(03-15-2017, 01:03 AM)fursan syed Wrote: Some very interesting views of Senior Field Guide at Inyati Game Lodge Mr Khimbini Hlongwane about Mr T of Mapogo Coalition. The persistence Bully among his brothers  Lol

Hey guys great pics of the lions fighting, its interesting they are grabbing and clutching each other in what looks like a holds, I wonder if this is always their strategy or if they'd rather hit first and try to scare off the opponent, it seems to me like the tigers are the better grapplers and better at the clutching and holding techniques to kill.  I'm wondering what you guys think.  And if anyone can help, I have a few private messages, I can't see them, not sure why.
2 users Like Haymaker's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(03-15-2017, 01:03 AM)fursan syed Wrote: Some very interesting views of Senior Field Guide at Inyati Game Lodge Mr Khimbini Hlongwane about Mr T of Mapogo Coalition. The persistence Bully among his brothers  Lol

That's some very good info Fursan. Thanks for the share.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(03-15-2017, 03:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote: Hey guys great pics of the lions fighting, its interesting they are grabbing and clutching each other in what looks like a holds, I wonder if this is always their strategy
From what I've seen, it is. It's the same for all cats because they're fighting a one vs one.
(03-15-2017, 03:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote: it seems to me like the tigers are the better grapplers and better at the clutching and holding techniques to kill. I'm wondering what you guys think. 

One of the rules we have is that we don't want a lion vs tiger thing started, you can read that in the rules section.
So my advice is that you let it go, especially since I've seen in the other posts you've mentioned it also. We simply don't discuss it, because in our experience it leads to problems.
(03-15-2017, 03:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote: And if anyone can help, I have a few private messages, I can't see them, not sure why.

That's because you're a new member, don't worry about it.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Haymaker Offline
Banned

(03-15-2017, 05:13 AM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 03:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote: Hey guys great pics of the lions fighting, its interesting they are grabbing and clutching each other in what looks like a holds, I wonder if this is always their strategy
From what I've seen, it is. It's the same for all cats because they're fighting a one vs one.
(03-15-2017, 03:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote: it seems to me like the tigers are the better grapplers and better at the clutching and holding techniques to kill. I'm wondering what you guys think. 

One of the rules we have is that we don't want a lion vs tiger thing started, you can read that in the rules section.
So my advice is that you let it go, especially since I've seen in the other posts you've mentioned it also. We simply don't discuss it, because in our experience it leads to problems.
(03-15-2017, 03:13 AM)Haymaker Wrote: And if anyone can help, I have a few private messages, I can't see them, not sure why.

That's because you're a new member, don't worry about it.

Well do you know when you'll be able to see the private messages,  I'm not sure why they were sent if I can't read them.  As for the lion vs tiger, yeah I heard that, some people were saying that on youtube, I think the tigers are better wrestlers though I mean I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that, I mean they clutch hard, you can see that ability when they fight.  Don't worry though I'm not saying the tiger is over all tougher or anything, its probably not from what Ive seen. I'm trying to be fair and objective because Ive seen a lot of bias out there.
2 users Like Haymaker's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-mapog...3324877142
2 users Like Pckts's post