There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 06:36 PM by lionuk )

(05-08-2021, 06:01 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 03:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 03:18 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Othawa cubs, 3 seen 

Excellent news, its not visiable which lioness is that, but i think its Sassy.. 

Yep! the author said on facebook the mother is indeed sassy
These cubs look to be around 2-3 months old at least, don't you think so?
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 07:26 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-08-2021, 06:29 PM)lionuk Wrote: These cubs look to be around 2-3 months old at least, don't you think so?

Prob born in March.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(05-08-2021, 07:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 06:29 PM)lionuk Wrote: These cubs look to be around 2-3 months old at least, don't you think so?

Prob born in March.

So at this point, these cubs probably haven't been introduced to Othawa Pride and Tumbela males yet? 

It's unfortunate about Gingerbella, I really hope she will eventually goes back to Othawa Pride and rejoin her mother. So far she has been away for several months now. I just don't want the same situation where that Nukhuma female hasn't fully returned to her natal pride after being away for a quite of time with Big Boy and Nukhuma male, you know.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(05-08-2021, 07:34 PM)lionuk Wrote: So at this point, these cubs probably haven't been introduced to Othawa Pride and Tumbela males yet? 

Yea i dont think they where introduced yet.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2021, 05:52 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 11:27 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 10:51 PM)Gijima Wrote: Also interesting to note I read in a comment how Ximhungwe Lioness had escaped through the fence a few months back and they darted/ brought her back in the reserve. There is clearly an issue with holes or broken fence in that area if animals keep escaping from the same location. Very disappointing to hear but glad in this case they were able to bring her back without any issues.

Yeah definitely an issues there, as Talamatis also almost escaped out,also Hukumuri..

Funny how they could darted Ximhungwe lioness, but they couldn't do the same with Hukumuri..

As I understand it, the problem with leopards is that they can get over the fence and once Hukumuri found out a source of easy meal, being pushed out and nomadic, nothing was stopping him getting back and with small children involved ...

Lions were a different case, the hole was related to a storm (cyclone hit at the end of January around the time), once repaired that should not be an ongoing issue. Lion actually going out, possibly in similar area is not good at all though, but at least that is solveable, lions are not dogs or leopards for which the fence is just mere hindrance.

Ofc it is entirely possible stories told might have holes in them, but we can only speculate then. I would rather leave that to Mapgo crazies claiming how Mr T was for sure darted so Majingilane could finish Kinky Tail alone and such :)

That comment about the Mapogo cracked me up, as I had read the exact same story on FB, and came in here inquiring about it's source, claiming the guides actually killed off the Mapogo for controlling too much land mass, that and the Elephant Plains conspiracy. Seems with that coalition, it can never simply be lions being lions, which is to say unpredictable, always needs to be some high level government conspiracy that brought about their end.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Hairy tummy Offline

I have never really seen any of the mopogo conspiracy on here which is good. What was the general thought of the mopogo v majingilane at the time by real lion fans? I didn't really have a big interest back then
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Super Moderator

(05-08-2021, 08:20 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: I have never really seen any of the mopogo conspiracy on here which is good. What was the general thought of the mopogo v majingilane at the time by real lion fans? I didn't really have a big interest back then

I'd like to know the same thing. I'm with you, a random video about Makhulu and Pretty Boy popped into my YT feed one day, after watching that and a few dozen more, followed up by purchasing a copy of Brothers in Blood, I was hooked. By the time I started reading about all of this, the Mapogos were already gone.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Things were probably ok during the time, it was when the documentary came out in 2015 that all hell broke loose lol
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 09:28 PM by Tonpa )

Othawa cubs with the Othawa Lionesses - their age is listed as around 7 weeks old.

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Super Moderator

(05-08-2021, 08:37 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Things were probably ok during the time, it was when the documentary came out in 2015 that all hell broke loose lol

That coalition, and those individual lions, following that documentary, really drew a ton of interests into these cats. We saw surprising behavior, much of which we have since learned has and does happen in other lions. That documentary brought some little known behaviors to the forefront, which got a ton of people, myself included, interested in these beautiful cats. They became so much more than just beautiful killing machines. I believe the more interests we can draw to these animals, the more that can be done for them. Not to mention, using the old train wreck analogy, people are drawn to observe destruction on a large scale, and that coalition most certainly brought that. They weren't the first, and won't be the last, but at the time they were the most documented.

One of the best things that has been done for all of these animals, in my opinion, is giving them actual names. Those names, which began before the arrival of the Mapogos, allow people to follow them more easily, they become more than just an animal caught on a camera, people become more invested.
6 users Like BA0701's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2021, 09:16 PM by Duco Ndona )

It looks like the cubs already have been introduced. Its great to see that it went well as that must always be a tense moment in a Lioness life. 
Its a pity we didn't got it on film.

That documentary made quite some bad waves sadly, even today. 
I am glad this isn't a place that isn't trying to make the new Mapogos or Lion King legend out of these animals and just admires them for who they are.
6 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Torchwood Young Male on this mornings drive. He was on Chitwa Chitwa 

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

@RookiePundit  hey, were you still interested in creating a lion database?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride lioness and her two daughters. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Othawa male is dead 

https://www.instagram.com/p/COp29VWtSZm/
It is with shock that we can report almost conclusively that the Othawa male lion has been killed, most likely by one - or both of - the Birmingham males.
A carcass of a male lion was discovered today in our eastern sector, largely consumed by scavengers. The Othawa male was last seen in the same area a few days ago, disappearing into the night in response to the roars of another lion. Both Birmingham males have since been accounted for but of the Othawa male there has been no sign.
Dental comparisons between the carcass and photographs of the Othawa male also point to the remains being his.
We may be wrong, but it is certainly looking like the most magnificent male lion on Londolozi is no more.
We will await conclusive proof over the next few days, but if he truly is gone, it seems that the Othawa male most likely made a fatal error in venturing too far into Birmingham male territory.
4 users Like Tonpa's post