There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2021, 12:54 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I am sure they will remember him. Its not like they collectively banged their head or something in the past year.

Its not 1 year, its 3 years and he was only around 2 yrs old subadult when he left, now he is over 5 yrs old and big male.

Same example as this older Mbiri female now mating with her brother Scar..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lions are intelligent enough to remember important lions in their lives well over years. Its just that nature does not necessary give them the freedom to be ponder over genetics or old relationships. 

A son will be seen as a hostile outsider by his own mother once he is out. Because that's essentially what he is now.. 
And if no suitable mates are available. She may be driven by her own urges and desperation enough to mate with him regardless. Even if he was still not driven out yet and the two still saw eachother daily.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-06-2021, 01:35 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Lions are intelligent enough to remember important lions in their lives well over years. Its just that nature does not necessary give them the freedom to be ponder over genetics or old relationships. 

A son will be seen as a hostile outsider by his own mother once he is out. Because that's essentially what he is now.. 
And if no suitable mates are available. She may be driven by her own urges and desperation enough to mate with him regardless. Even if he was still not driven out yet and the two still saw eachother daily

Well you said it yourself, Lambile would be just another outsider to Nharu females, and they would mate with him the same as they would with other 2 not relative males..

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They will if there arent any viable alternatives. If there are, they will likely seek those out first.

Ultimately they are living beings with each a mind on their own though. So one lioness may have different boundaries than another.

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-05-2021, 10:33 PM)Potato Wrote:

Mbiris as always are on the path of conquest.

ZigZag is absolutely enormous. I personally do not think those young Tintswalo males have any reason for sticking around, the Mbiri boys are absolute trouble for them, not only are they huge, but they have tons of experience.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-07-2021, 08:04 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

ZigZag is absolutely enormous. I personally do not think those young Tintswalo males have any reason for sticking around, the Mbiri boys are absolute trouble for them, not only are they huge, but they have tons of experience.

Both coalitions should't be with the Mbiri pride due to inbreeding within this pride isn't good at all. 
Btw, The bigger Mbiri male is a really fine specimen of male lion! Such a stunning cat
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(05-07-2021, 08:12 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

Both coalitions should't be with the Mbiri pride due to inbreeding within this pride isn't good at all. 
Btw, The bigger Mbiri male is a really fine specimen of male lion! Such a stunning cat

I agree with that, entirely, but it may well be a little too late as ZigZag was actively mating with no less than 3 pride females at the same time. Given current dynamics I don't see anyone else challenging for those mating rights right now, though. Although, I am not sure the pride can count on the older fellows to stick around for very long, they seem to be bouncing from pride to pride at the moment, just ask Hercules and Samatra.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-07-2021, 08:19 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I agree with that, entirely, but it may well be a little too late as ZigZag was actively mating with no less than 3 pride females at the same time. Given current dynamics I don't see anyone else challenging for those mating rights right now, though. Although, I am not sure the pride can count on the older fellows to stick around for very long, they seem to be bouncing from pride to pride at the moment, just ask Hercules and Samatra.
That's true, the bigger Mbiri male mated with three lionesses at the same time and one of those females is sister of him
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

As per one of the Manyeleti ranger, The Mbiri male was seen today in the north-east, I'll post soon if It's the bigger Mbiri or the smaller-maned Mbiri male
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

The Roar of possession and victory.

The strong Mbiri males are still scoring victory after another pride has been taken adding to their expanding territory in the Kruger National Park.

Even though they are only two, they are true monsters ..
A few months ago, they seized skorro pride and expelled the dominant males (Hercules & Sumatra).

Now Mbiri strike again, as they decided to expand and seize their natal pride who they were born in.

The Mbiri males now have to expel the new coalition (Tintswalo males) who have shortly ruled this pride, but similar to the Mbiri males, Tintswalo males also come from the Mbiri pride. This was the Mbiri males first pride, their natal pride, and now it has also become the 4th pride the boys have taken in their reign.

Here is Scar Mbiri announcing his presence in Manyeleti with the Mbiri pride!

Manyeleti, South Africa
Credit: @tintswalo_safari_lodge
3 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-07-2021, 01:46 PM by Tr1x24 )

Inbreeding in between first and even 2nd/3rd generation of lions is not dangerous, but longer mating over the years between the same family can potentially raise some problems in genes etc..

But this rarely or never happens in wild, as males moved of and change, thats more in closed private reserves or zoos..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-07-2021, 01:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Inbreeding in between first and even 2nd/3rd generation of lions is not dangerous, but longer mating over the years between the same family can potentially raise some problems in genes etc..

But this rarely or never happens in wild, as males moved of and change, thats more in closed private reserves or zoos..

I understand it, but it is still a long-term problem.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(05-07-2021, 08:28 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 08:19 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

That's true, the bigger Mbiri male mated with three lionesses at the same time and one of those females is sister of him

That is definitely not good, especially for the cub's prospects. I know these lions never cease to amaze me with their level of intelligence, and ability to strategize, but I wonder if, this many years after their birth, they recognize each other. That question may never be answered.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-07-2021, 08:25 PM)BA0701 Wrote: That is definitely not good, especially for the cub's prospects.

Inbreed cubs will be just like any other.. Problems might occur if longer inbreeding is happening in the same pride for generations, but that cant/rarely happens in the wild as males change..

Super Moderator

(05-07-2021, 01:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Inbreeding in between first and even 2nd/3rd generation of lions is not dangerous, but longer mating over the years between the same family can potentially raise some problems in genes etc..

That is the reason why every white tiger has crossed eyes, and every captive born lion bares a similar appearance which is very different from wild lions. They are all born from the same initial source. I know, just as in humans, birth defects occur in the wild, but are, almost always, either shunned or killed by their pride/pack/flock. This explains why we don't often see the proof of this. That percentage is only going to be made exponentially worse by in-breeding.
1 user Likes BA0701's post