There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2020, 01:20 AM by Tr1x24 )

(09-01-2020, 07:07 PM)Potato Wrote: Asumption based on what exactly? There wasn't any report of Sumatra and Hercules killing any sub adults sired by Orpen males. Orpen males bassicly succesfully raised their generation in Skorro pride and it is natural for them to move further. Leaving Koppies pride behind is indeed unfortunate, but also it is better for Orpens as well as for lion population that they chossen to be with pride of 6 insteed pride of 2. Also I do not think Mbiri pride move into Koppies pride territorry is permament and they very soon should be back further south.

I dont know exactly where, but i've heard somewhere that Hercules and Sumatra killed few Scorro cubs, rest run away with 1 lioness..
(I think in some yt video) 

Successfuly raise? As far as I know those cubs where born in early to mid 2018, and judging by the age of this new cubs of Hercules/Sumatra they are around 1 yrs old now, so that means that Orpens abandon Scorro pride around mid 2019 (maybe even sooner, because at that time in mid 2019 Orpens where seen waay south mating with Nharu females..) .. So that means that those subadults where about 1 to 1.5 yrs old when they abandoned them, except 1 male and 1 female who seems to be older..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

New Zealand Selati Offline

(09-02-2020, 01:02 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 07:07 PM)Potato Wrote: Asumption based on what exactly? There wasn't any report of Sumatra and Hercules killing any sub adults sired by Orpen males. Orpen males bassicly succesfully raised their generation in Skorro pride and it is natural for them to move further. Leaving Koppies pride behind is indeed unfortunate, but also it is better for Orpens as well as for lion population that they chossen to be with pride of 6 insteed pride of 2. Also I do not think Mbiri pride move into Koppies pride territorry is permament and they very soon should be back further south.

I dont know exactly where, but i've heard somewhere that Hercules and Sumatra killed few Scorro cubs, rest run away with 1 lioness..
(I think in some yt video) 

Successfuly raise? As far as I know those cubs where born in early to mid 2018, and judging by the age of this new cubs of Hercules/Sumatra they are around 1 yrs old now, so that means that Orpens abandon Scorro pride around mid 2019 (maybe even sooner, because at that time in mid 2019 Orpens where seen waay south mating with Nharu females..) .. So that means that those subadults where about 1 to 1.5 yrs old when they abandoned them, except 1 male and 1 female who seems to be older..
At the rate the Orpen Males are going with taking a pride then moving south, Junior is going to come full circle and end up back in Northern Sabi Sands. Hahaha
2 users Like Selati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Skorro cubs were born somewhere in early/ very early 2018 (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=626020177748898&id=104757883208466) and so they are already around 2 and half years old. This is already age in which young females potentially could already return to core pride and be accepted by dominant males. Some ranger I do not remember which (I think it was Rob the ranger) in some yt video has said that females past 2 years of age has very good chances to be accepted by newcoming males as they will already see young females as potential mate in future, not as a cubs they need to get rid of. As comes to males this is the age in which they should be already ready to be fine on themselfs or very soon will be. I think Orpens did they job at Skorro pride and protected that pride long enough.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2020, 08:47 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-02-2020, 08:00 PM)Potato Wrote: Skorro cubs were born somewhere in early/ very early 2018 (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=626020177748898&id=104757883208466) and so they are already around 2 and half years old. This is already age in which young females potentially could already return to core pride and be accepted by dominant males. Some ranger I do not remember which (I think it was Rob the ranger) in some yt video has said that females past 2 years of age has very good chances to be accepted by newcoming males as they will already see young females as potential mate in future, not as a cubs they need to get rid of. As comes to males this is the age in which they should be already ready to be fine on themselfs or very soon will be. I think Orpens did they job at Skorro pride and protected that pride long enough.

Theres 2 litters in Scorro breakeaway, 1 male and 1 female are older, while others younger.. 

Yes, now they are around 2 to 2.5..but when Orpens abandon them they where 1 to 1.5 yrs old.. Thats not ideal age to be abandoned by your fathers..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Orpen male Buddy is still fighting his injury and TB. Two of the Mbiri females fought with one Koppies female, but nothink too serious and Koppies female should recover easly. Mentioned Mbiri females rejoined rest of the pride and moved back south into their territorry and should not threat Koppies pride anymore.

5 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-02-2020, 11:22 PM)Potato Wrote: Orpen male Buddy is still fighting his injury and TB. Two of the Mbiri females fought with one Koppies female, but nothink too serious and Koppies female should recover easly. Mentioned Mbiri females rejoined rest of the pride and moved back south into their territorry and should not threat Koppies pride anymore.

Buddy is looking better in this video, than he did a few days ago when we saw him, but that hip still doesn't look well. Sadly, it is doubtful it ever will at this point, but he's still fighting and full of life.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

skorro breakway, the offspring of orpen male lions, maybe now 1 lioness and 4 sub lions, but i don't find new information about them. July 22, 2020 andBeyond Ngala Private Game Reserve
*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Return of Mluwati males Madala and Blondie 

This 2 males that entered Mluwati Concession where indentified as Mluwati males:

Madala:

It seems that they successfuly retake once their Hamiltons pride from Hamiltons pride male :

7 users Like Tr1x24's post

(09-04-2020, 02:07 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Return of Mluwati males Madala and Blondie 

This 2 males that entered Mluwati Concession where indentified as Mluwati males:

Madala:

It seems that they successfuly retake once their Hamiltons pride from Hamiltons pride male :

Any word on what happened to the lone Hamilton's Pride Male?
1 user Likes Selati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-04-2020, 02:13 PM)Selati Wrote: Any word on what happened to the lone Hamilton's Pride Male?

Idk atm, will post if i find out..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

(09-04-2020, 02:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 02:13 PM)Selati Wrote: Any word on what happened to the lone Hamilton's Pride Male?

Idk atm, will post if i find out..

Definitely not something I was expecting. Thought they would stay in their territory on the S126 till the end of their time of dominance. Just serves to remind me of one of the many reasons I've been following the lions of the Kruger for so long. Things can change so quickly, seemingly out of nowhere.
1 user Likes Selati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2020, 05:36 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-04-2020, 03:33 PM)Selati Wrote: Definitely not something I was expecting. Thought they would stay in their territory on the S126 till the end of their time of dominance. Just serves to remind me of one of the many reasons I've been following the lions of the Kruger for so long. Things can change so quickly, seemingly out of nowhere.

Well, i think they got pressured from other coalitions on s126, Leeubron males where seen hanging around s126 recently, maybe thats the reason for Mluwati to abandon that area and return south.. Mluwati males are 10+ yrs old males and are now not match for big and prime Leeubron males or maybe new younger, bigger coalition (just my theory)..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

(09-04-2020, 04:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 03:33 PM)Selati Wrote: Definitely not something I was expecting. Thought they would stay in their territory on the S126 till the end of their time of dominance. Just serves to remind me of one of the many reasons I've been following the lions of the Kruger for so long. Things can change so quickly, seemingly out of nowhere.

Well, i think they got pressured from other coalitions on s126, Leeubron males where seen hanging around s126 recently, maybe thats the reason for Mluwati to abandon that area and return south.. Mluwati males are 10+ yrs old males and are not match for big and prime Leeubron males or maybe new younger, bigger coalition (just my theory)..

Yeah that would make sense. When I heard that the Leeubrons had moved south I did wonder what would happen with being so close to the Mluwatis.
2 users Like Selati's post

239Pu Offline

Quote:Lion Dynamics in Manyeleti Game Reserve as of September 2020
3 users Like 239Pu's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Update on Hamiltons pride male. 

He managed to get away, he was seen moving northwest on s145 and in company of few females from Hamiltons pride..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post