There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
African Buffalo (Syncerus caffer)

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 11:09 AM by Jimmy )

(09-01-2018, 08:20 AM)Wolverine Wrote: @Pckts , watch carefully  this 2 videos just posted by Jimmy. They are typical example that gaur despite his immense power really seems to has quite thin almost gracile throat and neck in comparison with the buffalo. Maybe I suffer from short-sightedness and have to check my eyes with doctor.
Its true that there is no adult bull gaur in the video, but nevertheless the general shape of the animal should be similar.
Bulls among any bovine has much thicker robust neck region than cows, so although the general shape is the same, their proportion in particular body part is different, here is a video showing quite clearly a difference in dimensions between a cow and a bull gaur.

now as for comparision with cape buffalo-neck girth, i think it's slight, if you say at parity i think cape has a larger neck in proportion Due to the fact it carries extra weight of head-boss and larger horns, But if you take average animal say c.700kgs cape and c.900kgs gaur, i say the differnce of neck girth in absolute term will be minimal to non existent so for a predator it won't be any easy, watch these two pics of cape and gaur (i deliberatley chose the cape without horns due to the fact it's horn covers and obscures the neckline) like @Pckts, i also think gaur's dewlap and small beard creates a neck depression in between that makes an illusion of having a thinner neck than what is in reality however  i do think at parity cape has slightly larger neck due to the reason mentioned. As for your mentioning somewhere that gaur would be more vulnerable for neck attack, i doubt that cuz at avg, the neck is as big as those of capes so would not change anything but i also think cuz they have not as big neck in proportion, gaur's show more flexibilty with thier neck and would have pretty rapid movement of the head due to not having extra weight of  big horns and boss(below an avg. looking individual of both species)

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Jimmy's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: African Buffalo (Syncerus caffer) - Jimmy - 09-01-2018, 10:56 AM