There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca)

Greatearth Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2018, 09:02 AM by Greatearth )

epaiva  peter

What's your opinion of these?

I honestly think there is no size difference between male Pantanal jaguar and male Los Llanos jaguar. They probably caught bigger male jaguars in Los Llanos and smaller male jaguars in Pantanal. Question is female's size.  Is it because of prey abudance in Pantanal compare to the Los Llanos? Male jaguar can attack any size of animals in Central and South America, while female jaguar is different. That's why female Pantanal jaguar is larger than female Los Llanos jaguar.
There is no doubt jaguar is a king of nature in Pantanal while Los Llanos has equally powerful animal like Orinoco crocodile and Green Anaconda. I personally don't think Orinoco crocodile and Black caiman is predating huge male jaguar unless jaguar is swimming in water since 100 kg male jaguar is extraordinarily powerful animal. I think they are both number 1 predator. But female jaguar is different story since they are smaller. Maybe that's why? 
That's why skull size difference between Pantanal jaguar and Los Llanos jaguar? I don't really know what are the common prey animal in Los Llanos. 

There are 140-150 kg jaguar records in Los Llanos from old hunting. Is it true that the Los Llanos jaguar is the second largest jaguar next to the Pantanal jaguar? I think they are both the biggest jaguar in modern time. My guess is that size of the Los Llanos jaguars may have been decreased due to hunting in 60 years ago. Can you find recent size record of the Los Llanos jaguar?

What if we put few jaguars in Amazon, Orinoco delta, and Mount Romraima or Angel fall area in Canaima National Park. Do you think they will grow huge like Los Llanos jaguar? Or jaguar in those area are genetically smaller?
Why are they smaller? Is it because of dense jungle? Or Smaller prey? swamp and water environment?
2 users Like Greatearth's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-12-2014, 04:35 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - peter - 05-16-2014, 04:02 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-16-2014, 06:03 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - peter - 05-16-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Amnon242 - 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 07-02-2014, 10:17 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Amnon242 - 07-03-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca) - Greatearth - 04-13-2018, 08:19 AM