There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca)

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(03-03-2018, 04:25 AM)Greatearth Wrote: epaiva

I forgot to add "how about the jaguar's book of past distribution and habitat and other parts of their range like in Central America and far down in Pampas or Patagonia?"
I am interested in ecology, distribution, habitat, size, life cycle, and other things of the jaguar. I wish I can write a book about jaguar (Korean language book) since jaguar is not really well known animal in Korea. So I am looking to find many good information of jaguar

I did heard of Rafael Hoogesteijn and Edgardo Mondolfi. They actually wrote good research paper in 1996.
The Remarkable Journey of the Jaguar, El Jaguar Tigre Americano, and Almeida. Is it possible to find it these days? I hope it won't be expensive.
Another good hunting book (or mean-eating jaguar) is Sasha Siemel. I never actually read his book, but some people think him as 100% rubbish. Many of them think this guy just killed jaguars to become famous.

One riddle is how did they survived in southern USA? The jaguar strongly associated with the presence of water.  Many places of the Arizona, new Mexico, California, and Texas are desert, semi desert, dry forest, steppe, and others dry habitats. If jaguar was also once lived in entire Brazil, then how did jaguar survived in desert like Lençóis Maranhenses National Park? 

It is almost impossible to find any information of the jaguar lived in the USA. It's the same for other parts of the South America besides Los Llanos, Pantanal, and Amazon. Life of the jaguar in Andean mountains, cloud forest, Pampas (and Patagonia if they lived there) may have been interesting as well.

*This image is copyright of its original author

It isn't 100% accurate map, since jaguar once discovered in California and most part of Texas.

Thanks for those 3 books, but please let me know if you know good books about jaguar in central America and other places in South America. Also, past distribution of jaguar and its range map.

You can find a very good book about Jaguars in Central America in Belize its name is Jaguar (Alan Rabinowitz)
1 user Likes epaiva's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-12-2014, 04:05 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - peter - 05-16-2014, 03:32 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-16-2014, 05:33 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - peter - 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 05-16-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Amnon242 - 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Pckts - 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM
RE: The Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Amnon242 - 07-03-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca) - epaiva - 03-03-2018, 04:34 AM