There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-27-2021, 05:27 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 09:55 PM)Yusuf Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 12:26 PM)Shadow Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 08:32 AM)Yusuf Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 07:37 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 08:43 PM)Yusuf Wrote: Personally i dont agree that a adult male tiger has a minimum weight of 200 kg...
...According to Mazák, the average weight of Indian male tigers should fluctuate around 190 kg. (The most reliable max weights are a 258 kg male bengal tiger reported by mazak)
Mazák, 1983 (S. 178 ff.)

Best Regards.

Oh no, he means the weight range that atleast 70% of healthy adults fall within, that's how they're doing it now... the acreage itself is a range. Any 180kg or 280kg individuals are not in that.
WII data samples not only collectively outnumber all the others combined, but are also evenly spread over all India. Jhala's words carry more weight than anybody else's from 50 years ago.

Nonetheless, I think you should go through the old posts on this thread. Get a look at the specimens around with their weights.

Personally i used Mazak to prove that experts cant know the real weight of a male tiger. He described the male sibirian tiger as 230 kg on average whcih sint correct. There are even 120 kg lions described as healthy and adult. Anyways the datas on tigers are not really good. We have more datas for the tiger than for the lion but they arent really good. With good i mean datas with big sample size. 100% Conclusive datas for tigers are in my opinions Brander, Behar and maybe Hewett and that was it. Other datas are only reports and datas with small sampe sizes.

Best regards

And @GuateGojira im still waiting for a answer via privat message. I dont want to debate or something. I only corrected your method to get the average for lions and tigers that was it.

@Yusuf I think, that you shouldn´t use the word "correct" when you just disagree, but can´t prove your point in convincing way. 

Guate has clear tables and explanations which sources have been used and how so, that all readers can see it and check things if they want. 

I don´t think, that at this point guate has any need to prove something, when you haven´t been able to explain what would be really wrong in his charts.

So the they didn't weighed the lions... but he estimated 120-150 kg.

Best regards
@TheLioness
They’ve already been emailed, the weights are just a general estimate.

I'm not sure what quotes im reading because im not seeing anything about these two males? Are we sure they are regarding these two or two different males? Sorry if i missed something I have not seen it posted yet.

Thanks
1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Wild Lions - TheLioness - 07-27-2021, 05:58 AM