There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-09-2020, 10:45 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 10:06 AM)Richardrli Wrote: OK so we’ve all seen the big specimens from the Pantanal, but let’s not forget the small specimens as well considering they’re also a part of the population. My question then naturally is how often are the males there are actually under 100kg? And what is a small size range for females?

@Richardrli

Nobody is forgeting the small Pantanal male jaguars here, I make sure to add every individual to the table regardless of sizes.

From the table
- As you can see in the table out of 51 Pantanal males only 5 are bellow 100 kg and 3 of those males ages are unknown ( there's a possibility they could not be adult males ).

From Panthera - Fernando Tortato told me from all male jaguars captured by Panthera org only one male weighed bellow 100 kg and he said Pantanal jaguars are really big, go to the Jaguar thread to see more details.

It just proves what I have mentioned a while ago from each small male jaguar in Pantanal  ( which is rare to happen nowadays ) there are other 4 large males or more.

So in modern days a small adult Pantanal male of 100 kg is rare to see. They're larger than you imagine.

About the females considering a large pantanal female surpass the 90 kg range and one have been registered weighing 110 kg, a 76 kg adult modern Pantanal female would be very small if you ask me.

Also Wild Cerrado male jaguars nowadays normally reach and surpass the 110 kg range, so for the Pantanal males to normally be above 100 kg is a piece of cake.

I said it the minute I came back from the Pantanal. The 100kg average used by almeida was during the heart of the Jaguar slaughter. But it wasn't just Jaguars being slaughtered but Caiman by the millions were being slaughtered each year as well. Once protections were put in place for the Jaguar and Caiman their numbers recovered. Once they had ample prey and moderate protection we saw them grow in size. Then comes the sub population of the pantanala *north and south* both of which offer slight variations of prey. 
I still believe the North is going to offer the largest of Jaguars but the South can certainly match it.
Same with Los llanos if they can offer the same protections again.
Paulo was the one who told me about Fernando Tortato and also taught me about many other Jaguars he and Paul Donahue have ID'd over the years. No offense to anyone at Panthera but none of them know as much about Jaguars in the Pantanal as people like Paulo and Paul. Not saying they aren't experts either because they absolutely are but
Panthera is there for research and generally it's about a specific category *they're in the north looking for corridors* 
But Paul and Paulo live there during tourist season, they spend every waking moment with these Jaguars. And it was Paulo who told me how the mighty Adriano was not nearly the largest Jaguar in the North and not only wasn't he in the top class but there were also quite a few who were near his size who'd be considered normal male Pantanal Jaguars. "Adriano is a bulky guy but average in frame" is what he said. "There are a few that are much larger than he is and many around his size."
From there I knew that 100kg Jaguars aren't going to last in this highly competitive "wild west" territory for long. 
The outlier to this was Marley, he was a small Jaguar who not only was born in the Northern Pantanal but never got kicked out. Paulo said he was a small guy with a fearless attitude but then it turned out that even he, the "small guy" was 120kg. For me that pretty much sealed the deal.
100kg Jaguars aren't lasting long in these highly competitive territories. They will be pushed out to the fringes and only after they grow in size and experience are they able to come back and possibly knock off one of the territory males and take their spot for a short time. I'd argue that their reigns may be some of the shortest amongst big cats but they make the most of it and are the apex of their species without question.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars - Pckts - 08-09-2020, 03:49 PM